Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default james husband strikes back: 2018 edition

spill that tea though

That was harsh, but really funny. Guess he deleted it now though?

he did. but screenshots are forever!

also, he's clearly bitter af, but is he really *wrong* in this assessment? hmmmMMMmmm

I dunno, it's funny as a ridiculing snapshot description of the band. However, Rebecca Cash was added after the classic lineup fell apart, so I guess he was wrong about that whole representation thing.

Also, it's a bit faux pas to question's one gender identity, but I guess Kevin had it coming.

yeah, but rebecca disappeared as quickly as she came. was she ever really there? and - agreed about gender identity. but i'd also be truly shocked if kevin wasn't cis. jamey is calling him hetero which.....if he is, woof, definitely makes things more uncomfortable

I'll field fair criticisms of Kevin/of Montreal but the afterthought of "hasn't added women/PoC to the band since I left" shit is so transparently an attempt to offer a smear angle to critics of the band, let alone wholly inaccurate. James was part of SEVERAL previous oM line-ups that were strictly white guys. Why is he just talking about this now?

From what I can see, Jamey and Kevin are both very sensitive people and living together for weeks at a time in stressful, small spaces was probably a recipe for disaster. The resentment must have been building for a long time for them to both feel so strongly about it years later. I hope they both find peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Elias View Post
    I'll field fair criticisms of Kevin/of Montreal but the afterthought of "hasn't added women/PoC to the band since I left" shit is so transparently an attempt to offer a smear angle to critics of the band, let alone wholly inaccurate. James was part of SEVERAL previous oM line-ups that were strictly white guys. Why is he just talking about this now?

From what I can see, Jamey and Kevin are both very sensitive people and living together for weeks at a time in stressful, small spaces was probably a recipe for disaster. The resentment must have been building for a long time for them to both feel so strongly about it years later. I hope they both find peace.
    That, or dare I say it, Kevin Barnes is not a very nice person. He puts his art above everything, it seems, and that is a recipe for friendship disaster.

As a fan, it matters nothing to me. I only require the music. I don't care who is in the band or how hurt Bryan Poole or James Husband is....but they certainly have a right to feel hurt, as people who were once friends with him. Defending Kevin Barnes in this context makes you a twat. A deep fibrous dilapidated twat

true about the all-white lineups. good point, fair point. harnk's cutting opinion is appreciated as always. deep fibrous dilapidated twat indeed.

But not really? A lot of bands are pretty homogeneous? of Montreal is one of the few that historically hasn't been?

And tooo beeee kind of honest, I used to feel kind of awk around the band because I was/am both a huge fan, and was completely one hundred percent aware that Kevin was a little like wtf? @ me as often the only person of color at their shows, and definitely the only presenting muslim woman (no, I'm not assuming, he told me so hahahaha). But we got to know each other a little and that's all more than fine now. Kevin has done so much learning and growth in developing a race/privilege consciousness that would have been a lot of werq for POC/WOC/QTPOC bandmates to have to deal with or shoulder so I think it's fine for him to be in complete control of a project that does not have those tensions until he's prepared to handle those with the necessary understanding. Like it's just not feasible to expect him to always have a salad bowl of bandmates and navigate that effectively if he hasn't done the work to understand systemic shit--which he is doing now and I'm so, so proud etc and think he's being very earnest about it and is doing a great job.

And I don't think it's fair to comment on his gender or relationship to queerness.

Idk, I'm with Elias. It's just pretty transparent bitterness. And like you do you JH. I don't know how much Kevin's hurt you, but you're not talking about that. You're lashing out at his work and his commitment to things that he's really passionate about and is doing the work of uplifting. That's not cool.

My favorite part is the sick burn about being a "Middle Aged Dad". Good one, Jamie.

I replied to that post.

Apparently, I was following Jamey and I had no idea (because he doesn’t post anything because he doesn’t do anything), and that little shnippet of sit was sitting at the top of my feed.

I replied, and mentioned how very bitter it all tasted.

THEN HE MESSAGED ME

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZVFG0Y1

And when I tried to message him back, I got an error saying “This person isn’t accepting messages right now.” And it appears he may have blocked me all together.

I wanted to reply with:
    lol, AUTHORITY?? There’s that self-absorption again!

Your criticisms were little more than flowery assaults, using the modern day racial/socio-sexual landscape to advance your own bitter agenda.

I wouldn’t even have to be familiar with who YOU were to taste the bitterness that encrusts your words like the scales of dried flaky snot on a child’s upper lip, let alone need to know whoever your friend of 20 years is or what that 20 year friendship entailed.

You posted an opinion in a public forum. A member of the public responded. I’d say that’s relevant. Relevant enough to illicit a response from you.

And, anyways, it seems like you’re a voyeur now, too �� Which is probably where the bitter came from.

All I’m saying is, instead of trying to tear down someone else, why not try building something yourself? You don’t wear spite very well.
    Anyways.
    What a whiny little bitter bitch.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast