Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NMH influence on EDM

I know it’s weird and hard to believe but it’s actually true. NMH has had an influence on modern EDM. That influence begins with nmh’s “ghost” which more or less spawned what I like to call “four on the floor” folk. It directly relates to the beat of what would be previously known as a “hoe down” Four on the floor folk is obviously folk w a back beat that is directly translatable into a four on the floor style dance beat. That four on the floor folk sound from ghost morphed into Mumford and Sons “I will wait”. When m and s commercially popularized the “hoe down” or the four on the floor folk sound they immediately were being remixed by a zillion EDM producers bc it was obv that it was perfectly designed to dance to. M and s song “ I will wait” then morphed into Avvici’s “wake me up” which was a smash hit record of epic proportions that supposedly crossed new genre lines according to many critics but draws its original influence straight from nmh ghost. Here’s some quotes from around the Internet acknowledging NMH influence on M&S.

“So it’s kinda like Mumford & Sons?” Asks the server at Sams Bar & Grill in Port Chester as I try to describe Neutral Milk Hotel to him. While I admit my initial reaction was to refute his assumption, after a moment to process, I realized he was right. While Mumford are a more general Americana, the recent big time revival in mainstream alt-folk has a direct through line past the weird, brilliant collective that is Elephant 6.”

“Behind many of the most beloved albums of the indie rock genre there is one record that stands as the touchstone. Artists like The Decemberists, Bright Eyes, Bon Iver and even Mumford & Sons were heavily influenced by the seminal record by Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over The Sea. ”

I could post many many more but you get the point. There’s a billion articles and comments around the net acknowledging nmhs direct influence on m&s.

Now onto how Mumford and Sons cribbing of the nmh four on the floor folk sound from ghosts was directly influential on a very very popular strain of modern EDM.

“At the dawn of the decade, the neo-folk band Mumford & Sons released a string of singles that have since become staples at summer-camp guitar circles and hors d’oeuvres tray/mingling hour at weddings. They spawned copycats like the Lumineers, Of Monsters and Men, and even Avicii, who joined the fun with his EDM hoedown “Wake Me Up.”

“Kudos to Avicii then, who has dared to try something a little different for his latest offering. "So wake me up when it's all over/ When I'm wiser and I'm older," featured artist Aloe Blacc sings over dialled-up, country-flecked guitar strums that sound like Mumford & Sons on speed. The jig-along chorus may conjure up images of Brits-on-tour”

I’ve never seen anyone acknowledge this connection ever anywhere on the internet and yet it seems so obvious and worth mentioning.

Tldr there’s a direct line of influence from nmh ghost into Mumford and sons I will wait into
    Avvici’s wake me up.

Mumford and sons suxxx

Quote Originally Posted by one-headedboy View Post
    Mumford and sons suxxx
    Yea they do but that doesn’t debunk my extremely poorly written thesis

I genuinely don’t think Avvici’s “wake me up” exists without NMH “ghost”

Quote Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post

Lol cotton eyed joe played no part in this chain of events. Mumford and sons weren’t influenced by cotton eyed joe and in turn Avicii wasn’t either. Cotton eyed joe is a good example of how a hoe down could easily be turned into a dance song. But still Avicii wake me up doesn’t exist without nmh ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldopa View Post
    Lol cotton eyed joe played no part in this chain of events. Mumford and sons weren’t influenced by cotton eyed joe and in turn Avicii wasn’t either. Cotton eyed joe is a good example of how a hoe down could easily be turned into a dance song. But still Avicii wake me up doesn’t exist without nmh ghost.
    The chain of events is irrelevant since Cotton Eye Joe was the first hoe down dance song.

i'm not gonna read it all but thanks for writing this post, we appreciate you

Quote Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
    The chain of events is irrelevant since Cotton Eye Joe was the first hoe down dance song.

Your missing the point. It’s not about the origin of the hoe down dance song. It’s the fact that ghost inspired I will wait which inspired wake me up. Cotton eyed joe inspired nothing and no one to do anything.

Your also missing the point. It's more likely that EDM producers are influenced by Cotton Eye Joe because it's already an EDM hoe down itself. The logical step from Neutral Milk Hotel to Mumford and Sons to whatever is not needed. Occam's Razor states that the solution with the least amount of assumptions is most likely the correct one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast