Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Album

Default New Album

"Cervantine" will be released on Febuary 15.
    Following a series of albums exploring Eastern European folk music influence that have thrilled indie and world audiences alike, Albuquerque, New Mexico's A Hawk and A Hacksaw present Cervantine, their first release on their own new label, LM Dupli-cation, a record that gloriously connects their deep fascination with the folk and gypsy groups of former Yugoslavia, Greece and Romania with their actual home in the desert plains of the American Southwest. The group's natural blend of diverse global musical styles with their indie rock background lends them the kind of cross-audience appeal enjoyed by bands including Fools Gold, Beirut and Calexico, while their strong sense of musicality and cultural context draws more left-field listeners to them as well.

Recorded live at their studio in Albuquerque between two US tours, Cervantine is the vibrant sound of an American band whose geographical and cultural travels bear on their already distinctive music. The 20th century brought the influence of Spanish and Mexican music to Eastern European gypsy folk, and Cervantine celebrates the reflected resonance of this influence in modern-day New Mexico.

Alongside the core duo of Jeremy Barnes and Heather Trost, the album features key contributions from the immensely talented Hladowski siblings--Stephanie (vocals) and her brother Chris (bouzouki)--from Bradford, England, via Poland, who can be heard on album standouts "Mana Thelo Enan Andra," "Cervantine" and the Turkish classic "Uskudar." The original composition "Espanola Kolo" probably best represents the Spanish / Mexican impression on Serbian brass music that A Hawk and A Hacksaw have embraced--an homage to the extraordinary New Mexico town of Espanola and a Yugoslav Kolo dance, designed for long nights of drinking and dancing.
    Who knew that there would actually be a hell, and that it would be in New Jersey?

This and the Bela Fleck daytrotter session are the best things that have happened to me today.
    Are you sad about your mountain? ̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳t̥̮͖͌ͭͦ̂ͩͨ́̐͝͞?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳☻͉̪̾͌̇̉̋̍ͬ̏͆͆͒̄̀|͖̲͇̰̀ͬ̈́̃̂̅͆̌̎̈́͒ ̎͗̈͌ ͊͒ͧ͢͢|̢͌̿ͮͨ̂̓̇Was this a continent you liked?,
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham View Post
    At the concert I saw he just said, "All I wanna say is, Sonic the Hedgehog. Just Once. Sonic the Hedgehog. Okay, Twice."
    ?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳ |͆̆ͯ̓͐ͮ͛̀͊͗ͮ̈́̔̌͗|̡̉̈ͪ́͘

You had me at Helvetica.

Ballin'!

super aweseomme

I actually ordered it last night. They ship out a week early.
    Are you sad about your mountain? ̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳t̥̮͖͌ͭͦ̂ͩͨ́̐͝͞?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳☻͉̪̾͌̇̉̋̍ͬ̏͆͆͒̄̀|͖̲͇̰̀ͬ̈́̃̂̅͆̌̎̈́͒ ̎͗̈͌ ͊͒ͧ͢͢|̢͌̿ͮͨ̂̓̇Was this a continent you liked?,
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham View Post
    At the concert I saw he just said, "All I wanna say is, Sonic the Hedgehog. Just Once. Sonic the Hedgehog. Okay, Twice."
    ?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳ |͆̆ͯ̓͐ͮ͛̀͊͗ͮ̈́̔̌͗|̡̉̈ͪ́͘

You had me at Helvetica.

i would have thought this band would have disbanded by now. the basis of it seemed somewhat gimmicky, despite its semi-awesomeness. i still rate the first record as their best.

Default Photobucket

There is also a western U.S./European tour. Take notice that it conflicts with the Holiday Surprise tour.

Feb 26
    Corazon
    Santa Fe, NM, us
    Mar 1
    Solar Culture
    Tucson, Arizona, US
    Mar 2
    Satellite
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mar 3
    Cafe Du Nord
    San Francisco, CA
    Mar 5
    Mississippi Studios
    Portland, OR
    Mar 6
    Tractor Tavern
    Seattle, Washington, US
    Mar 8
    Urban Lounge
    Salt Lake City, Utah, US
    Mar 9
    Hi-Dive
    Denver, Colorado , US
    Mar 10
    El Rito Library
    El Rito, NM
    Mar 11
    Outpost Performance Space
    Albuquerque, NM (U.S.A.), US
    Mar 12
    Outpost Performance Space
    Albuquerque, NM (U.S.A.), US
    Mar 18
    Le Botanique
    Bruxelles, BELGIUM
    Mar 19
    Botanique
    Brussels, Brussels-C, be
    Mar 20
    Paradiso
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Mar 21
    King Georg
    Cologne, GERMANY
    Mar 23
    HBC
    Berlin GE, GERMANY
    Mar 24
    Dreikonigskirche
    Dresden, Dresden, GERMANY
    Mar 25
    Bunker Ulmenwald
    Bielefeld, DE
    Mar 26
    Kamgnagel
    Hamburg, GERMANY
    Mar 27
    Brotfabrik
    Frankfurt, DEU
    Who knew that there would actually be a hell, and that it would be in New Jersey?

WTF. The rest of the damn country has people that like you, too!

(The west coast is overrated, anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by spiffy_kimbean View Post
    WTF. The rest of the damn country has people that like you, too!

(The west coast is overrated, anyway.)
    Unfortunately, I don't think they're swimmin' in enough cash to come visit us. Although I think they'd have a nice time in Asheville especially.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast