Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default oM's relationship w/ fans

I've seen a few people here talk about their chance encounters running into the band after the show, ESPECIALLY beeps. For people that have been to a bunch of shows over the years, does everyone else get the impression that he's the one that really makes an effort in interacting with the fans?

Just curious. I've only been to one show a few years back and never got a chance to run into them.
    Oh my loves Iím waiting for our little hopes to break on through
    https://www.last.fm/user/lenn9o9n
    https://sickofnevers.bandcamp.com/releases

Itís okay to sleep with fans as long as itís done with the utmost warmth and affection. Not like a piece of meat left on the side of the roadway as the tourbus rear fumes hit you in the face. Cmon, fess up.

Only have six minor items to cross off on my ďto doĒ list today, and I've already completed three of em, so Iím doing shit like this. May go bike beach cruising/hunting along the boardwalk. My new thing.

Maybe, but that's okay. I appreciate his time.

Performers are people too, and they have their needs and wants and occasionally need to get away. Kevin, especially, often travels with Alabee and has to think of her (and is the most likely to be completely mobbed, too). I've met Kevin and Davey and Beeps all on separate occasions, and they were all perfectly nice, not rock star assholes, in fact I was probably more of an asshole to them than they were to me! But I ran into all of them almost by accident, not in the usual post-show madness... while leaving Street Scene, wandering the streets of LA, Beeps while he was wandering around backstage at the Bowl.

One of the great "they're really just people" moments of my life though was running into Kevin on a near deserted LA sidewalk. Kevin looked a bit surprised, and I was probably a bit overexcited (I would never stop to talk to a stranger on a sidewalk, normally), but here was this guy, whose work I really admire, and who is a total rock star on stage, and he's standing in front of me, just as shy and meek (and the exact same size) as I am. We all grow up with this notion that anyone on stage is like this larger than life god/dess, and sometimes that really does spill into real life divadom. Heck, we mythologize Jeff Magnum that way and he's probably sold less records in his life than Justin Bieber has this month. But it was sorta cool, it made me totally think I could be just like that guy, even if I have half the talent.

But rumors are true, Beepz is the KeWlEsT.

I dunno, Davey is pretty sweet as well. I've met them all (even Nina waaaay back in the day when she was touring with them) and everyone was all around pretty cordial. Busy, but cordial.

Things have changed since then, obviously. I agree with MrDobalina entirely. It's a different ballgame now, but they're all still very nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDobalina View Post
    Kevin....is the most likely to be completely mobbed, too.
    definitely. that's why i mentioned people who've been to their shows for a number of years, who've seen the change in how kevin deals w/ the public at shows. i'm sure over the last 3-5 years everything has turned a little weird for him. dottie and davey aren't that hard to interact w/ online but BP is definitely the face of oM now. i see crowds of people lined up w/ vegan cupcakes for him
    Oh my loves Iím waiting for our little hopes to break on through
    https://www.last.fm/user/lenn9o9n
    https://sickofnevers.bandcamp.com/releases

Quote Originally Posted by lenn9o9n View Post
    that's why i mentioned people who've been to their shows for a number of years, who've seen the change in how kevin deals w/ the public at shows.
    Yeah, I'm not sure Kevin has warmed up to the popularity all that much in recent years (touring with his family aside). I haven't really had a chance to talk to him since the first time I met him back in 2004 (pre-Alabee). It certainly is easier to talk to BP or Davey since they're the ones that make themselves more available. Everyone else more or less scatters after the shows.

met Barnes once at North Six in Brooklyn on the SPITA tour. was nice enough. he seemed a bit shy. never met the others. met Derek Almstead at an Elf Power show. he's really friendly and spent a good lotta time chatting to me about summer hymns and of montreal

Sun hasn't come out, so haven't gone biking yet cus what's the point if you can't take off your shirt to burn yourself? Masturbated twice to non-english speaking foreign girls on xnxx, a deeply imbedded habit I'm unsuccessfully trying to quit. Made $510.

Just a quick update.

My experiences:

Dottie - I waited outside the venue ALL DAY when I saw oM for Hissing Fauna, like, I was out there with a friend for probably 6 hours before doors. Dottie came out of the bus, smoked a cigarette, then came and asked me what songs I wanted to see. SHE approached ME and was super nice. Then one time I think I pissed her off because she was smoking and I asked her to sign my Skeletal Lamping vinyl and she said "I don't have a marker" and I made this weird puppy dog face and I think it freaked her out.

BP - The man. Always. 100%. The man will keep talking long after you're done. He rules. Cordial. Amazing. Nice. Doesn't mind the mob of 40 kids waiting outside the load out doors.

Kevin - absolutely FRIGHTENED by people. I was lucky enough to meet him drunk out of his ass in 2007 and he talked to me for a serious 35 minutes. He told me all kinds of stuff about Skeletal Lamping and in general, was just amazing to talk to. When I met him again in '08, he seemed a little more... aware this time and was pretty nervous and shy and answered my questions VERY quickly and briefly. Like, "yes" "no" sorta deal. There was this girl trying to make out with him though, so that might be a part of it. Then, in '09, they played terribly cuz he was sick and left the stage pretty quickly, anyway, he came out the doors, two kids very creepily asked him for hugs, which he gave them, but then sprinted to the bus. I asked him to sign my Pecan Sandies sign, and I told him I didn't want to give him AIDS like the last two fans he met, and he laughed, thanked me for my enthusiasm for the Sandies, and scrambled in to the bus. Since then, he pretty much RUNS to the bus after the set and doesn't meet anyone.

Jamie - DICK DICK DICK DICK DICK DICK DICK DICK he's just always been a condescending prick to me and seems completely uninterested in anything you have to say.

Matt Dawson - met him once, he was shyer than Kevin. Very soft spoken and courteous, but seemed scared to death that people wanted to talk to him.

David Barnes - <3 My favorite oM member always.

Davey - really nice guy, granted I met him on his first tour with the band, but seemed really happy to meet people and really gracious that the show went well. Was good to talk to, too.

Clayton - also really nice, but once again, saw him on his first tour and he might not be burned out yet. Was happy to field questions, but also seemed kinda freaked out that I knew who he was and some of the other projects he's been in.

Also, I asked MT Wheeler to cut my hair with a samurai sword. He obliged. I tipped him $5.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast