Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default oM live band expands from 5 to 7 members

Your first taste of the two new members joining of Montreal is in the promo ads for the Jimmy Fallon appearance. Looking at the picture, I definitely see Kev front and center, Dottie and BP to the right, and Clayton and Davey to the left. Who are the two newcomers? They're too costumed to tell, but they're definitely not any of the existing members of the crew.

My guess is that one will be keys/multi-instrumentalist to replace Jamey and the other will either play bass or drums. Kevin talked at great length last year about having two drummers to accurately replicate the impossible beats of his studio work. I can also see two bassists because there are several live songs that utilize two bass players - Gallery Piece, Oslo in the Summertime, An Eluardian Instance, etc.

If anyone wants to come forth with the deets, do it now!

a) that was in the interview
    b) right-click/property/copy location maybe next time? otherwise there's no picture in your post that tells us to look at a picture! *grrrrrrrrrr*

(I'm not a morning person)

EDIT : is this what we're talking about?

EDIT 2 : not only does this forum look like shit but you can't post pictures anymore either?

EDIT 3 : definitely not a morning person, then. :/
    Last edited by I Rule The School; 07-24-2010 at 12:55 AM.
    The one and only of Montreal fan site --> http://www.thebootypatrol.com
    ~~..~~..~~..~~

The new boy is Nicolas Dobbratz, one half of former of Montreal tour support Sugar & Gold, and appears to be playing keyboards, though he has toured and recorded as a keyboardist and guitarist.
    The new girl is Thayer Sarrano, an accomplished Athens, GA solo artist, and appears to be playing bass/keyboards, though she primarily appears to be a guitar player.

My judgements about what they'll be doing live come from the type of sounds needed to fill in oM's current live pallet (i.e. there would not really be a need for a third electric guitar player) and both musician's learned instruments. Also, neither musician appears to play drums, throwing my "two drummers" theory out the window.

I really hope that the seven of them stay together as a unit, because I think its much cooler to have a "band" and get to know all the members' styles and personalities than to have a revolving door of faceless "hired hands."
    Last edited by Elias; 07-24-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Source, please?
    OK, that tour didn't leave very good memories, but it did leave some memories... I couldn't have been so out of my mind that I wouldn't recognize these guys... so he wasn't in Sugar & Gold then, right? It's hard to tell because the picture is pretty small, but that's not what Nick from Sugar & Gold looks like... or looked like... or looks like in my mind. Whatever.

Also, how can one person be one half of a 5-piece band?
    Last edited by I Rule The School; 07-24-2010 at 06:01 AM.
    ~~..~~..~~..~~

Quote Originally Posted by I Rule The School View Post
    Source, please?
    OK, that tour didn't leave very good memories, but it did leave some memories... I couldn't have been so out of my mind that I wouldn't recognize these guys... so he wasn't in Sugar & Gold then, right? It's hard to tell because the picture is pretty small, but that's not what Nick from Sugar & Gold looks like... or looked like... or looks like in my mind. Whatever.

Also, how can one person be one half of a 5-piece band?
    Source: both of the people in the above picture were in the big 20 person "cast/crew" press photo they've been using. A couple of the band/crew members have the picture on their Facebook and had tagged Nick and Thayer in them. Thayer lives in Athens and is pretty active there, so it makes sense how they found her.

It is Nick from Sugar & Gold - his hair is different, but its def him. He is "one-half" of Sugar and Gold because him and Philip write the songs and founded the band. He has always been in the band and I'm fairly certain he was there at the Covington show both you and I were at Also, cryptically, the Sugar and Gold twitter account about a month ago posted "Excited to be touring with of Montreal again!" which I thought was weird - I thought maybe they were gonna open the False Priest shows with Janelle, but it makes sense now.

ACTUAL TWITTER POST:
    Painless in Athens! on tour w/ oM soon!

Painless is Nick's S&G stage name.
    Last edited by Elias; 07-24-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Hats off, Elias. *clapclapclap*
    As for me, my brain transplant is long overdue, apparently...

EDIT : I don't know how long this lineup is going to stay together, but when you hire people who already have their own projects/bands, you can't really ask them to put it aside for long. Sugar & Gold has released an album earlier this year and they've toured behind it, so maybe there's a 6-month break but unless they've split up, Nick won't last longer than Ahmed.
    Last edited by I Rule The School; 07-24-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    ~~..~~..~~..~~

Quote Originally Posted by I Rule The School View Post
    OK, that tour didn't leave very good memories, but it did leave some memories...
    I would like to be considered a good memory

Which one is Nick?

They're gonna sound good with this expanded line up. That's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfbeat View Post
    I would like to be considered a good memory
    Rest assured you are still my savior, my shining light (my crab my goat my scorpion and all the rest)!

Which one is Nick?
    The red-headed keyboardist who dressed like a frat boy from the 80s (or something like that - I wasn't a frat boy in the 80s unfortunately, so I can't really judge) but now he's the guy with the afro (and the blue dress).
    ~~..~~..~~..~~

perhaps Davey will spend some time on the drums?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast