View Poll Results: Which format do you prefer for your free album download?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • MP3 (320 kbps)

53 56.99%
  • WAV

11 11.83%
  • FLAC

23 24.73%
  • other?

6 6.45%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Abel - wouldn't you just love to hear the 24bit/96KHz masters.? Ooh... salivating at the thought. 'Outside Blasts' without the drop-down to 16bit. Oooh.! That's how all music should be heard.

What the fuck? Are you guys crazy?

Seriously... open up flac frontend. Take a wav file. Encode it in the flac format.

Now take that flac file, and put it in flac frontend. Click decode.

What do you get?

THE EXACT SAME WAV FILE YOU PUT IN AT THE BEGINNING. There is no loss of quality, or change at all in the actual data being sent to your stereo, at any time in the process, be it playback of the wav file or the flac file. Again, no change in the actual 1s and 0s your Digital to Analog Converter is receiving, the change is in the way your computer is able to communicate that data to your stereo.

Comparing flac to ogg vorbis or mp3 is stupid, and completely wrong. They are nothing alike. When you convert a wav file to mp3, and then convert that mp3 back to wav, YOU DO NOT GET AN IDENTICAL COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FILE. There is a loss in quality, and the 2nd wav file is actually going to sound WORSE than the mp3 file, and obviously way worse than the wav. Hence "lossy".

All that flac is doing is taking that wav file, and making your computer see it in a way that takes up less actual hard drive space for the same amount of information, but requires your computer to do more work to access that information.

Working in a music studio doesn't really mean you can't be entirely wrong about this, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by damonin View Post
    but that IS the difference.
    correct

From the FLAC website:
    What is FLAC?

FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, an audio format similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality. This is similar to how Zip works, except with FLAC you will get much better compression because it is designed specifically for audio...

So if you believe that when you put a file in a zip archive, and then pull it out of the zip archive, you've somehow lost something... I guess you can still think there is a difference between flac and wav. I just think that is crazy.
    Last edited by Dihnekis; 11-06-2009 at 09:27 AM.

I admit defeat. I realize that I was misinformed and that simply looking up what FLAC just stands for would have persuaded me.
    Last edited by Abel; 11-06-2009 at 09:05 PM.

The point is will those of us who paid for the 'Deluxe' edition get a download code for all three albums worth or just the two.? I already have it on CD. I want the third album in a digital format too. $40+ should seal the deal imo.

I remember someone official telling us that the bonus lp would come with a digital download. Can't remember where or when though but I'm pretty sure that's the deal.

My opinion about digital files is that the Holiday Surprise 7" should be released as FLAC, for free.

Are people still voting on this?

Yeah, from time to time, haha.

It keeps getting bumped with no posts... Yours is like the first, but it keeps showing up!

Because people keep voting.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast