Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default At what age do musicians fade away?

I was just wondering if you feel there’s a drop-off age? I hate writing some of these years since it’s discounting before or after works but it’ what I felt connected to with the artists i've come to fall back on

John Lennon – 25-32 (Rubber Soul – Imagine)
    Lou Reed - 24-28 (Velvet Underground)
    Syd Barrett – 20-25 (Lucy Leave – Macap Laughs)
    Mirah – 27-35 (You think it’s like this… - (a)spera)
    Stuart Murdoch 27-29 (Tiger Milk – Arab Strap)
    Ben Folds – 29-32 (S/T-Reinhold Messner)
    Ray Davies 21-28 (Face to Face – Muswell)
    Jason Lytle 28-34 (Under the western- Sumday)
    Frank Zappa – 25-28 (Freak Out – We’re Only In It…)
    Sly Stone 24-28 (Dance to the Music – There’s a Riot…)
    Bob Dylan – 21-36 (S/T – Desire)
    Neil Young – 21- 32 (Springfield S/T – Rust Never Sleeps)
    Lindsay Buckingham 23-31 (Bu/Nicks – Law n Order)

34-35 seems to be the end

edit: but like pinocchio, who is sort of an ass but makes a valid point, said....this kind of discussion is pretty f'd up. but a lot of things that involve honesty work that way. i slightly regret posting
    Last edited by lenn9o9n; 05-27-2010 at 08:38 AM.

I think it depends more on what course their life has taken. Rich fat musicians don't have much inspiration to make beautiful music. Poor kids make better music than rich old dudes.

I just think success leads to the music sucking eventually, because they have nothing left to sing about.

Quote Originally Posted by lenn9o9n View Post
    I was just wondering if you feel there’s a drop-off age? I hate writing some of these years since it’s discounting before or after works but it’ what I felt connected to with the artists i've come to fall back on

John Lennon – 25-32 (Rubber Soul – Imagine)
    Carlos Forster (For Stars) 28-34 (S/T– It falls apart)
    Kevin Barnes – 23-35 (Cherry Peel – Skeletal)
    Lou Reed - 24-28 (Velvet Underground)
    Syd Barrett – 20-25 (Lucy Leave – Macap Laughs)
    Mirah – 27-35 (You think it’s like this… - (a)spera)
    Robert Schneider 24-30 (Fun Trick... – Discovery of a World)
    Stuart Murdoch 27-29 (Tiger Milk – Arab Strap)
    Ben Folds – 29-32 (S/T-Reinhold Messner)
    Ray Davies 21-28 (Face to Face – Muswell)
    Jason Lytle 28-34 (Under the western- Sumday)
    Frank Zappa – 25-28 (Freak Out – We’re Only In It…)
    Sly Stone 24-28 (Dance to the Music – There’s a Riot…)
    Bob Dylan – 21-36 (S/T – Desire)
    Neil Young – 21- 32 (Springfield S/T – Rust Never Sleeps)
    Lindsay Buckingham 23-31 (Bu/Nicks – Law n Order)

34-35 seems to be the end

I've been thinking about this the last few years and I swear Kevin has a writer’s mind. They don't peak until their mid 40's...
    are you saying those were their peaks or....?
    the way you have it is confusing because some of them are dead and some aren't.
    i want you on the kitchen table, public bathroom. on the dirty floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ufoinkushiro View Post
    mimi merlot saves the day again

I was thinking about this the last couple days. Because there is a certain point in many bands where there seems to be a drop off in creativity, or in pushing of boundaries. Beatles would be an easy example, where the just kept pushing through SGT. Pepper, Magical Mystery tour, but then started going back towards more simple stuff, which is fine, I think the White Album is some of their best stuff. And Lennon, Plastic Ono band is awesome. As for of Montreal, I haven't seen the peak stop yet, but pushing further than skeletal lamping is going to be tough. That's the great thing about a creative band that's still making albums- you don't know where they will go next! Anyway, interesting to see what people have to say. I don't think this thread is saying the bands are horrible after their "peak", just they usually have a string of "essential" albums that eventually drop off to being less essential, yes? But maybe their older albums will be better understood when we are more the age they were when writing them. I'm done writing now. What about David Bowie?

I guess it's all subjective... Two examples from your list : you seem to think that Lou Reed never did anything great after the Velvet Underground, but Berlin (1973) is in my opinion his best work and Magic & Loss, which came out in 1992 (he was 50!) is quite awesome, too. As for Stuart Murdoch, pretty much right from the start it was obvious he wouldn't be going too far - it would have taken him the guts and the will to propel his band somewhere else entirely to go on making music that matters. After the 3rd album he was already repeating himself...
    So I guess it all depends on (a) the listener's perception and (b) the personality of the writer and their ability to keep an open mind.
    The one and only of Montreal fan site --> http://www.thebootypatrol.com
    ~~..~~..~~..~~

Quote Originally Posted by All Hail Atlantis View Post
    What about David Bowie?
    i was actually just thinking about that because he hasn't exactly released an album in like 6 years. i'm going to say like 24-37
    that's not to say all of his other stuff isn't good. i like his other albums as well.
    i want you on the kitchen table, public bathroom. on the dirty floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ufoinkushiro View Post
    mimi merlot saves the day again

David Bowie 22 - 34 (S/T - Scary Monsters)

Yes...this is extremely subjective and I'm sure most of the artists wouldn't appreciate these kinds of lists but it just involves the albums YOU find spiritually involving. You really think Stevie Wonder would want to hear a debate about him not making music like his early-mid 70's works? The real issue is why they fade away?

People lose touch with their love for music. They know it, but aren't honest with themselves. Like Dihnekis said, a lot of this has to do with whether there's a paycheck at the end of a forced album, for others it's just keeping their heads above water.

I know as a musician it's tough to not want to show people what you're making, but don't release to the world if you know it's not your best.

This is why contract obligations are a duality (get the product, rush the art)
    Oh my loves I’m waiting for our little hopes to break on through
    https://www.last.fm/user/lenn9o9n
    https://sickofnevers.bandcamp.com/releases

Quote Originally Posted by I Rule The School View Post
    I guess it's all subjective... Two examples from your list : you seem to think that Lou Reed never did anything great after the Velvet Underground, but Berlin (1973) is in my opinion his best work and Magic & Loss, which came out in 1992 (he was 50!) is quite awesome, too. As for Stuart Murdoch, pretty much right from the start it was obvious he wouldn't be going too far - it would have taken him the guts and the will to propel his band somewhere else entirely to go on making music that matters. After the 3rd album he was already repeating himself...
    So I guess it all depends on (a) the listener's perception and (b) the personality of the writer and their ability to keep an open mind.
    I hate shitting on Lou Reed but it's so inconsistent after VU. I listen to the songs he did as demos for the velvets years later and it just pisses me how someone can ruin something so interesting.
    Oh my loves I’m waiting for our little hopes to break on through
    https://www.last.fm/user/lenn9o9n
    https://sickofnevers.bandcamp.com/releases

I love that Michael Brecker recorded his last album on his death bed. The themes of life and death are so evident and beautiful on that record. Pilgrimage has some awesome stuff on it. I recomend it to any jazz fans here. We seem to be talking about pop and rock type stuff here so I guess this doesn't add much. Those jazz guys always go on until they die, often at young ages.
    Edit: Oh. He was only 57. Not soooo so old. I like this thread though.
    Who knew that there would actually be a hell, and that it would be in New Jersey?

An interesting subject. I think there's more to than just the change in lifestyle thing. To an extent the ability to write songs in a unique style is a finite thing - the coming together of multiple influences and ideas in an individual. Song writing is a natural process but unless it evolves or improves it becomes stale and really just going through the motions. That's pretty much how I've heard every Dylan album after "Desire" (which incidentally is nothing on "Highway 61" and "Blonde On Blonde", but it's still evolution of sorts). Someone once told me that as you get older you start to appreciate records written by people the same age as you as you relate to the stuff they're singing about - but that was 10 years ago and I'm not convinced at all. On top of all that there's relevance - the older you get the harder it gets to make music that sounds relevant and exciting to the time. Looks like The Beatles got out at just the right time.

And based on your calculations I better get going instead of wasting minutes on a forum as I've only got two years left in me if they are correct. Fuck that's a thought. :eek:

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast