PDA

View Full Version : URGENT JULIAN

happymike
05-09-2007, 09:38 AM
hey julian,
this is happy happy birthday to me records mike. i have been trying to call you, but i get this crazy fast busy signal. if you could please email me at mike@hhbtm.com . i had a few things to ask you, and to tell you. i hope to hear from you soon. Mike

lou2ser
05-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Wow, this looks like GREAT news.

thekingisdead
05-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Mike is dying and he needs Julian's liver.

[Edited on 5-9-0707 by thekingisdead]

dwightp
05-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Come on, this was clearly a publicity stunt by Mike. We're the prime demographic :)

Half-Handed
05-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Given that Julian didn't even attend his own Christmas carolling gig I give Mike a few weeks.

TheMarvelousMr.Milk
05-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Ah!

Pål
05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Has Julian ever posted on this board? Half-Handed, or any other old-timer, how many E6ers have posted in the Townhall?

witahemuii
05-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Julian posts under the name Bellia, and Robert Schneider posts as marbles. Bill Doss has posted a few times as billdoss, and Hilarie Sidney posts as Hilarie. Other than that, I'm not too sure.

Oh, and BP and Kevin Barnes, of course.

Pål
05-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Cool. Didn't know about Bill, Kevin and Julian.

witahemuii
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Apparently Derek Almstead, John Fernandes, Rebecca Cole, and Laura Carter too (they're all moderators).

pinocchio
05-09-2007, 06:05 PM
i actually knew about everyone but kevin. what's his name?

quixoticgoat
05-09-2007, 06:06 PM
what what, i.t.b.

[Edited on 5-10-0707 by quixoticgoat]

witahemuii
05-09-2007, 06:06 PM
claude robert. He only posted back in '04 or '05, I think.

call me hi
05-09-2007, 06:19 PM
martyn leaper and ben crum have posted before too.

call me hi
05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
and j. kirk pleasant

thekingisdead
05-09-2007, 06:27 PM
julian has posted under many names, I believe. I do hope this is good news, Julian is really hard to reach it seems and apparently only uses the internet on trips to the public library.

If mike is trying to contact him, anything involving Julian and Popfest is fantastic news.
I really hope he comes through!

quixoticgoat
05-09-2007, 06:28 PM
you guys are so funny

David_R._Gross
05-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Sasha Bell has made a few posts at some point in time....don't remember her username though....it might have just been Sasha......

Also, members of The Arthurs(The Channel) have made posts, but I haven't seen them around in a while

blaise
05-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by David_R._Gross
Sasha Bell has made a few posts at some point in time....don't remember her username though....it might have just been Sasha......

Also, members of The Arthurs(The Channel) have made posts, but I haven't seen them around in a while

Funny you should mention The Channel, they've got a show tonight here.

lou2ser
05-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by thekingisdead
julian has posted under many names, I believe.

That's correct. A new name everytime he makes a post. I wonder if he forgets his username/password.

Aqualad
05-09-2007, 09:31 PM
if julian plays at popfest i'm sold

funeralpudding
05-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by blaise

Funny you should mention The Channel, they've got a show tonight here.

I thought they were from Austin. They opened up for of Montreal (and Tilly & the Wall), I believe in '05... The Channel dressed up as characters from the movie "Popeye" and played nothing but songs from the movie soundtrack...

"He needs me, he needs me, he needs me, he needs me, he needs me.."

call me hi
05-10-2007, 09:44 AM
i've been meaning to check out the channel for a while now. their one of those bands i keep forgetting about. any good?

blaise
05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by call me hi
i've been meaning to check out the channel for a while now. their one of those bands i keep forgetting about. any good?

I have a long history with The Channel/Golden Bear/The Arthurs. I'll try and make this succinct...

First of all, these bands are really in no way associated with E6, other than the occasional opening show, and the fact that Martyn Leaper engineered and produced The Arthur's album "Walking in the Sunlight," and that it came out on Dirigeable.

When The Arthurs folded, three bands sprung up in its place: Golden Bear, The Channel, and The Morning Pages.

The Morning Pages is Grant's project, former lead man of The Arthurs, which he started when he moved to Brooklyn. The Channel is the old cast of The Arthurs with the added addition of Brent's brother Colby on guitar. Colby actually began The Channel with Brent and their other sister some time ago, but it really came to fruition later with the album "Personalized." Golden Bear is basically the same band, but without Colby and with Chris Gregory writing the songs and standing in as frontman.

This guy Tom also plays with both bands, and sometimes Brent and Colby's sister, Heather, performs with them. She's great, and her husband is Andy, who plays drums for The Channel and Golden Bear.

I met Chris Gregory the first time The Channel opened up for of Montreal, back when they had just finished "Adhilis". Later, they did indeed play the Popeye soundtrack. They also semi-recently played a show covering Nillson's "The Point."

I would recommend "Personalized" by The Channel. It's got a great, bright sound, and it's a little alt-country, too. C-Side records puts it out. Also, Golden Bear have a new record and were Spin magazine's band of the day not too long ago!

David_R._Gross
05-10-2007, 05:03 PM
blaise -

That was a very interesting overview of their evolution. Thanks for Sharing. How did you get so close with the band? Did you grow up with any of the members, or go to school with them?

Anyway, did you go to that show, if so, how was it? I would love to see them live, but they dont play to far from home do they?

call me hi-

First off, I think it imperative to own, listen to, and develop some kind of opinion of Walking in the Sunlight, before you venture into The Channel or Golden Bear (if you havent done so already.) I have a strong feeling that the album is OOP, I dont see it at C-side, and Dirigeable doesnt seem to have a website any more, so Ill send you a burn (still assuming it is OOP.) Just send me a U2U if interested.

Now, If you do stop by C-side (because Personalized has a cover of Bonnie "Prince" Billy's "Black" that is the best cover in the history of covers,) and If you have the means, I recommend Tones are Falling also (The Channels first.) I know that The Channel aren't E6 in the strictest sense, but if you listen to Tones are Falling and don't come away with the feeling that the sound isn't true to the collectives nature, then I will denounce my love of the E6. Ok that is a bit extreme, but it's good none-the-less.

http://www.c-siderecords.com/order_info.htm (Look for the 2 CD special!!!!)

Fare Thee Well,

DRG

[Edited on 5-11-0707 by David_R._Gross]

emanresu
05-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by quixoticgoat
what what, i.t.b.

[Edited on 5-10-0707 by quixoticgoat]

you wanna do it in my butt?
(in my butt)
(in my butt)
(in my butt)
well let's do it in the butt
O-KAY

emanresu
05-10-2007, 10:41 PM

sorry i just killed the thread

thekingisdead
05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
I felt unclean after watching that.

call me hi
05-11-2007, 09:46 AM
blaise -

That was a very interesting overview of their evolution. Thanks for Sharing. How did you get so close with the band? Did you grow up with any of the members, or go to school with them?

Anyway, did you go to that show, if so, how was it? I would love to see them live, but they dont play to far from home do they?

call me hi-

First off, I think it imperative to own, listen to, and develop some kind of opinion of Walking in the Sunlight, before you venture into The Channel or Golden Bear (if you havent done so already.) I have a strong feeling that the album is OOP, I dont see it at C-side, and Dirigeable doesnt seem to have a website any more, so Ill send you a burn (still assuming it is OOP.) Just send me a U2U if interested.

Now, If you do stop by C-side (because Personalized has a cover of Bonnie "Prince" Billy's "Black" that is the best cover in the history of covers,) and If you have the means, I recommend Tones are Falling also (The Channels first.) I know that The Channel aren't E6 in the strictest sense, but if you listen to Tones are Falling and don't come away with the feeling that the sound isn't true to the collectives nature, then I will denounce my love of the E6. Ok that is a bit extreme, but it's good none-the-less.

http://www.c-siderecords.com/order_info.htm (Look for the 2 CD special!!!!)

Fare Thee Well,

DRG

[Edited on 5-11-0707 by David_R._Gross]

i just found a cheap used copy of walking in the sunlight on amazon and picked it up. it sounds like exactly what i'm looking for right now. thanks for the offer and the advice.

blaise
05-11-2007, 09:54 AM
blaise -

When I was in high school in San Antonio, some friends of mine and myself decided to take a trip to Austin for the weekend, where my friend's sister was a student. The sister was really involved with the fancy honors program at UT called Plan II, and her friends were putting on a play that weekend. It was called "Kamooka," and we saw it twice. That was where the members of The Arthurs first met as well, and from there on out I was in the loop. I only got to see the original Arthurs play once, though, opening up for of Montreal during the "Coquelicot" tour.

The Channel are great guys. My old band opened for them once or twice.

David_R._Gross
05-11-2007, 03:40 PM
call me hi-

Sweet........you wont be disappointed.

blaise-

Yea, College seems to be the plays to meet life long friends. If it wasn't for college, I probably would have never gotten into independent music at all. Thanks again for sharing.

Murgy
05-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Hey y'all,

It's good to see that people are into the whole Arthurs, Channel, Golden Bear, Morning Pages family tree. If you're into "Walking in the Sunlight" by The Arthurs you'll probably really like The Morning Pages new EP, "The Company You Keep," since Grant, the singer for the MPs, wrote and sang most of the tunes for The Arthurs. The style is definitely more mature and countryfied but just as melodic and distinctive as the older stuff.

Also, I think that the latest album by The Channel, "Tales From the Two-Hill Heart" is their masterpiece. I'd personally start with that one...

Murgy

call me hi
05-21-2007, 07:23 PM
crap. i just got a message saying that the arthurs album i ordered isn't in stock. i did, however, pick up the channels album tales from two hill sibylle machine what have you for 95 cents plus shipping (there's still a 99 cent copy available). i'll have to look at amazon and see if the next cheapest arthurs copy is within my budget. i've been spending way too much money that i don't have on cd's lately though.

rogersbowne
05-22-2007, 06:19 PM
hey mike,
do you know when the first pack of singles for the club are shipping out?

happymike
05-23-2007, 08:31 PM
first batch of singles will ship at some point in august. not sure what point, but in august. depends on how long it takes to silkscreen all the sleeves, and to recover from popfest physically. mike

blaise
05-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Hows about that Instruments single?

happymike
05-24-2007, 01:43 AM
should be shipping next week, just waiting to get them in from the plant. the sleeves are pretty much ready, just waiting on the plant at this point. mike

blaise
05-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by happymike
should be shipping next week, just waiting to get them in from the plant. the sleeves are pretty much ready, just waiting on the plant at this point. mike

schweet. Thanks Mike!