PDA

View Full Version : KEXP session

funeralpudding
02-17-2007, 02:19 PM
How disconcerting to realize almost eighty people read me offering to let a man suckle me for of montreal tickets. sadly, didn't happen... at least i got to see em once this tour, if it's not already sold out, just stop what you're doing now and go buy tickets!

I stayed at home and listened to the of Montreal KEXP stream, I know there's stream converters, but I just patched my headphone jack into my mic in and turned on Audacity and recorded it. Couldn't be bothered to break up tracks, I could only get the medium-speed stream and this'll probably come out in a crystal clear version soon:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4kvtbb

garyw
02-17-2007, 03:02 PM
i would have sucked so much dick for tickets... but thanks for this!

graham
02-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Mr Pudding, you are too kind to us! :-) For about the millionth time... thank you, thank you!

I'll be splitting the tracks up in Audition, methinks... Being insufferably anal about things like that!

graham
02-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Aaaaaaaah, the sleighbells on Gronlandic. And the bizarre horsey dream ramble. Kevin Barnes, how I love thee.

Stinkypoo1032
02-17-2007, 04:53 PM
i have a cord thats like the end of head phones on both sides and so one end is the output going out and then i record the other end going in and it sounds perfect- a lot better than using a mic

ferrdidly
02-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Can anyone chop this up. I dont have the necessary programs on my mac.

jlaird
02-17-2007, 09:03 PM
how old is your mac?

jefferoo
02-17-2007, 09:30 PM
what is the tracklist?

ferrdidly
02-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Macbook.

jlaird
02-17-2007, 10:00 PM
garage band should be able to do that for you

ferrdidly
02-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by jlaird

I tried it. Gave up pretty easily. Not very familiar with that program.

Siah
02-17-2007, 11:51 PM
I'll never be satisfied with a version of bunny ain't no kind of rider that isnt either the album version or the daytrotter session.

graham
02-18-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by jefferoo
what is the tracklist?

Bunny > Faberge > Gronlandic > Mutants

With chat before, during and after.

I'll post individual tracks when I get home from work.

graham
02-18-2007, 02:34 AM
I've fixed that little problem now, sorry about that... was in a mad rush before work this morning.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zi10ck

01 KEXP Introduction
02 Bunny Ain't No Kind Of Rider
03 Faberge Falls For Shuggie
04 KEXP Interview (3m30)
05 Gronlandic Edit
06 We Are The Mutants Born Again With Leafling
07 KEXP Outro

[Edited on 19/2/0707 by graham]

jlaird
02-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by ferrdidly

ahh. fair enough

thugginit
02-18-2007, 04:25 AM
haha graham..i was so confused..i downloaded grolandic about 5 times and thought i was just going crazy because its 3 am

graham
02-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Fixed! http://www.sendspace.com/file/zi10ck

[Edited on 19/2/0707 by graham]

funeralpudding
02-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ferrdidly

There are a few edit provedures that anyone with a computer should be able to do, with Garage Band (which I'm actually not specifically acquainted with) on Mac or Audacity (free) in PC. To isolate pieces of music, you will usually want to choose the vertical cursor that looks like a cursor does when you drag it over text. Using this, you can usually highlight sections of the audio, to either cut and paste, add an effect to it, etc... To break up tracks out of one long piece of music, you would just highlight the first track (ending it where you think it sounds best), and (in Audacity at least) you can "export selection as wav", which will take just what you've highlighted and save it to a wav file. After you saved it, delete the highlighted portion from the rest of the music, so you know that the next track will start right where it's supposed to.

If you wanted to fade in or fade out on a track, you would just highlight the portion you want the fade to take place and choose the fade from the effects menu.

Also an easy thing you can do to help your recordings is to make sure they are properly amplified. The waveform read-out of the track should go all the way to the top or bottom of the track, and fill it with its peaks. If your volume for the whole piece of music is low, highlight the whole thing and simply "amplify", in Audacity at least it will tell you how much you can successfully amplify sounds to get them to the edges without them getting too loud (or "hot" or "in the red")

These audio apps are much easier to use than you might think, you just have to mess around with it. If you're just starting out, open up a copy of a piece of music and screw around with it, pull down all of the menus and see what everything does. Adjust the sliders and levels for the effects and touch everything, if it's a copy of music you won't break anything, I promise you.

thugginit
02-19-2007, 12:33 AM
would someone mind getting the sound off this video clip and cutting it up into tracks for me/the rest of the board? i am absolutely loving all the live acoustic in store recordings that are showing up

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2437809123086301890&q=of+montreal+kevin+solo

graham
02-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Just recording it now, it's been a bit laggy during this last song, but generally sounds OK.

dwightp
02-19-2007, 05:14 AM
Wow; that's some fantastic stuff. I'd wrestle a bear naked for a solo, acoustic release like that.

graham
02-19-2007, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by thugginit
would someone mind getting the sound off this video clip and cutting it up into tracks for me/the rest of the board? i am absolutely loving all the live acoustic in store recordings that are showing up

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2437809123086301890&q=of+montreal+kevin+solo

File Name: In-Store - 10 Jun 05 [KB Solo] Waterloo.zip
Size: 26MB | Description: KB Solo Waterloo Recs Instore 10 June 2005
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5uhbsp

thugginit
02-19-2007, 12:25 PM
awesome..thank you..i recorded it last night and i kept trying to cut up the tracks but i ended up just getting frustrated and going to bed

vacantmoon
02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
thanks for posting this!

Tilde
02-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Oh radical!