PDA

View Full Version : O captain23! my captain23! (wtf, man?)

defgav
01-08-2007, 12:24 PM
I hate to resort to calling him out publicly here, but he refuses to respond to my emails.

Here's the story: last year an old school e6 boot trader contacted me and said he had some shows (NMH, Apples, OTC) on DAT tapes but no way to transfer them. They were mostly upgrades of shows and demos that are already available, plus some that haven't circulated much. I knew Captain23 (Ronnie from Chicago) had lots of experience transferring live recordings, so I asked him if he'd be willing to do it and he happily agreed. So the guy who owned them trusted me and sent them, and I sent them over to Ronnie. The deal was, he'd transfer the DATs to CDR, send me back the DATs plus the CDR copies, and he would be welcome to post the shows online anywhere (ie, his "Lossless and Live" page at Optical Atlas). Seemed very cool. This was late December 2005.

In January, he was active with the project, even emailing me to check on song titles and source info.

In February, he emailed saying, "still transfering,had a dat deck blowout,got other deck up and running. all the nmh is transfered,working on the otc,apples,ill send you cds of what i have done so far.. talk soon captain"

So I was very happy to hear that. But days turned to weeks, weeks to months, and nothing ever arrived from him.

As the months when on, I checked in with him from time to time. Last time he replied was June 2006:

i am a total ass for not gettin this done and i feel bad.
all dats are safe and secure.
i will make this all up to you.
this is my promise from one e6 fanatic to another.
i have been super busy,
workin on my radio show (every saturday for 5 hours)
http://1059freefm.com/pages/34077.php

streamed at http://www.gdradio.net/ sturdays at 9 central.

but anyway.within the next week ill send off a package.
we will talk then...

captain

sorry bout the super long delay,i literally am 4 boxes of dats behind.in terms of transfering live shows,both my own recordings and others.

Again, that made me feel better, but the phantom package never arrived. I understood about him being busy, so I tried to be cool with it and not harrass him or anything. Every few months or so, I'd email to check in and ask how it was going. Didn't hear back anymore.

Now that it's been over a year, I'm really starting to feel bad for the guy who owns the DATs and trusted me with them. If Ronnie would at least reply to me saying something like, "sorry man, been busy, i'll finish soon," then I wouldn't feel THAT bad about the whole thing. But the fact that he's ignoring me is really bothersome. I thought perhaps there was a problem with one of our email accounts, so I wrote him on myspace. My "sent box" shows he read my message, but still, he refuses to reply. I know he's a well-liked member of the townhall, and he always seems like a good guy, which is why it's all the more strange that he's being like this. He's shared a lot of shows online, so it doesn't make any sense that he'd want to "steal" these shows.

So please, Ronnie, can we finish this project soon? If not, please send back the DATs (cdr copies you've made from them would be very appreciated, too). I'm clueless to what the problem is, but let's at least talk about it.

If any of you guys are friends with him and can talk to him and shed some light on this, that'd be great.

thanks,
Gavin

captain23
01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
sorry..
its being sorted out.

soon come.

theoperahouse
01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
This is nice.

defgav
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
sadly bumping this up again. It's almost been another year, and still nothing from Captain23/Ronnie. I email/myspace him from time to time, just asking what's up, and he ignores me. I wouldn't be so upset if he could at least respond, but ideally I'd really like the DATs back.
I scanned them before sending them, to help keep track. Here is the scan of the DATs that Ronnie in effect stole: http://defgav.com/pix/nmh-drew-prairie-dats-sm.jpg

Again, if you are friends with the guy, please ask him what's up and urge him to return the DATs, or at the very least talk to me so we can work something out. He seems like a great guy on the forum, which makes it all the more bizarre that he's acting like this.