PDA

View Full Version : 1st imaginary symphony terribly underrated...

theEngineChoir
12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over The Sea and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless are two of the most well renowned albums of the past 20 years. They are pretty much hand in hand in their approach to the idea of a record. They each wanted their album to have a unique production style that set them apart from other musics, they both stress the drive to be creative in melody and sound, for the fact that they are complete albums; meaning, from beginning to end a pretty much a perfect work, an eerie/mystical? front man, and how well renowned they are by musical audiences whom often claim them to be some of the best rock albums of all time.
Today while I was listening to these two albums I followed it up with a listen of The Music Tapes' 1st Imaginary Symphony to confirm my suspicion that the beginning of King of Carrot Flowers Part 2 & 3 and the middle of "pulled out to sea..." have strikingly similar guitar parts, but I was loving the music so much I put the album on from the beginning and remembered how much I loved this work. And I began thinking, this album is so underappreciated, underrated, and should be up there with Aeroplane and Loveless. It fits with the core approaches and for the simple fact that it too is brilliant! I think this album is a work of art that should be more well known with music enthusiasts and be fully understood and appreciated for its brilliance. Julian does not get enough credit for this as well. Jeff Mangum and Kevin Shields (I pick these names for the sake of staying on topic) are constantly being discussed for there genius but I believe Julian Koster is just as much a genius songwriter/producer/visionary master as Jeff and Kevin. What do you think?

Harnk
12-08-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm not so sure that you are right, and that of course opinion is not debatable, but I suppose you are making it so with your post.

I'm pretty sure Julian knew when making that album that his audience would be rather small. it's not music for the masses and frankly I find your post to be untruthful, in that you really don't believe what you are saying.

thekingisdead
12-08-2006, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't put it the way you put it, but I do think Julian is a musical genius, and I think that the 1st Imaginary is a brilliant album. I'll admit that it definitely isn't for everybody, but for a few of us it's quite amazing. It's been my favorite album for several years.

I don't understand why so many people have the "No, you're lying. You can't honestly enjoy this album. I'll bet you think you're some real indie shit" attitude about Music Tapes fans.

Harnk
12-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Not that he can't enjoy the album, but these superaltives and his enthusiasm seems as though he's peaking to the creator of said music, like some rolled up hyped up donkey tonk chump...it's meh...and so fucking off. The labum, yeah it's unique, painstakingly crafted..but cmon man.

thekingisdead
12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't really understand what the "c'mon man" implies, but I really do think the album is outstanding.

Harnk
12-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by thekingisdead
I don't really understand what the "c'mon man" implies, but I really do think the album is outstanding.

It's like this..yeah, it's a pretty cool album, but to act as though the whole world is dead above the neck for not thinking so is way beyond being rationale.

theEngineChoir
12-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Harnk, you are such a snob. I did not write the post acting as though the world is "dead above the neck..." I love this album and maybe it stems from my love of Brian Wilson which draws me closer to the albums melody and approach. My prenotion was that people loved this album like i did and if they knew it was out there it would better their life like it has mine. This album inspires me and I feel like it can aspire others with its creative genius and melody i have RARELY heard before. BUt to act like I am trying to put someone down by sayin I love this album is an insult. So maybe before you snobbishly write post after post and critque others in your "my opinion means more than yours" type attitude you can try to understand where people are coming from and be more understanding.

Harnk
12-09-2006, 02:32 PM
melody rarely heard before? Have you got egg pirates in your head?

Your post was up for reply...here's mine (again).

Brian Wilson...Julian Kostner....Abe Lincoln.......Carol Burnett

We are listing people who have nothing in common, right?

Aqualad
12-09-2006, 02:38 PM
i think julian is really creative, yeah. really imaginative, yeah. great album, yeah. it's in my car's stereo, yeah. i listened to it yesterday, yeah.

while the production and story and everything is wonderful, i can't say that it should be respected as much as those other two, mostly because it is a big matter of taste.

tralala
12-09-2006, 04:29 PM
i think julian kostner is a sack of crap, and his album is the crap crapped by said sack of crap.

i don't really believe that... and i don't understand why someone would try to accuse someone of lying about their love for the music tapes on a music tapes message board. why, god, why?

Harnk
12-09-2006, 04:43 PM
His post ended with "What do you think?"

Harnk
12-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Also, I'm not saying he doesn't love it..just that his "why doesn't the world love Music Tapes" bullshit doesn't fly. There are so many artists going unrecognized..so fuck that with Music Tapes on one of the most recognizable indie labels...people maybe just don't like it for what it is..a super self-indulgent mess of part genius part idiot savant.

thekingisdead
12-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Harnk

Originally posted by thekingisdead

It's like this..yeah, it's a pretty cool album, but to act as though the whole world is dead above the neck for not thinking so is way beyond being rationale.

ah ok, I misunderstood. sowwy.

thekingisdead
12-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I have to say, Pitchfork's review made me very angry, they blatantly insult Julian and laugh at the idea of anyone enjoying the album.

Aqualad
12-09-2006, 07:42 PM
well, yeah. pitchfork sucks is my blanket statement for that.

ItalianSeasideIceJester
02-07-2007, 12:21 PM
PITCHFORK MEDIA IS A FUCKING JOKE.

they wouldn't know a good album if it fucked them in the ass.

To just quickly throw in my two sense...

My favourite album ever happens to be In The Aeroplane Under The Sea

and my Second Favourite Album eve happens to be none other than Loveless.

I think the beauty of In The Aeroplane Over The Sea lies not only within Jeff's lyrics, and mood... but also the contribution of Julian, Scott, Jeremy, Rob Schnieder... and everyone else.

I am thoroughly blown away by Jeff's playing in general (World of wild beards, Jittery Joes) and other acoustic shows like that, where he plays the songs.

But Julian added so much to that record.. and i honestly don't think i would hold it so close to my heart if it weren't for him and the rest of the band.

I think Julian is a genious, and he is terribly underrated, and he needs credit where credit is due.

and as for the music tapes... where in the world have you heard anyone do something so truly different as to what Julian does?

before the music tapes, i had no idea music like his existed and was possible to enjoy. I have seen the light, and it has changed my life.

uncle eggma
02-08-2007, 06:09 PM
and as for the music tapes... where in the world have you heard anyone do something so truly different as to what Julian does?

harry partch. i promise you'll like it!

iammadeofnoodles
04-01-2007, 03:04 PM
the music tapes' make me really happy.

and isn't that what music is for?

to each his (or her) own, i suppose.

Rarn
08-24-2009, 10:27 PM
I tried to find out what an "egg pirate" was.
I narrowed it down to:
an obscure Sonic the Hedgehog robot character
or
man made, cholesterol free, edible-but-dementia-inducing, totally real eggs originating in China
or
this thing: http://www.16bit.com/toypics/playmobil/4915/egg-open-full.jpg

Abel
08-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Maybe "egg" was a cryptogram for "ass."