PDA

View Full Version : The Microphones

Freakboy
10-09-2003, 02:54 PM
i cant find anything by them bah!
i usualy look up lyrics for a band im interested in before taking al the time dling from their site or buying the album cuz the lyrics imo have to be reeeally good to be worth anything. i didnt hear a lot of microphones but it was pretty good so i wanna check em out, i just cant find anything about em online. i always type in the microphones ___ but it sends me to sites for music equipment haha.

perfectbrokenmirror
10-09-2003, 03:21 PM
you should just download some of his stuff. lyrics don't reveal evertyhing about the artists.

this is the website:
http://www.krecs.com/Microphones/

i don't know if there are any lyrics on it.

c.s.

William
10-09-2003, 03:21 PM
MP3s:

http://kpunk.com/mp3/Microphones_themoon.mp3

http://kpunk.com/mp3/Microphones-ItWasHotWeStayedIntheWater-The_Pull.mp3

http://kpunk.com/mp3/04-theglow.mp3

Examples of lyrics:

The Pull:

my body stopped moving and quickly got cold
i made my escape through exhaling lungs
and watched my body rot away
nobody noticed my misty escape
and i ended like floating like water in the air
through the blowy ocean side above the pounding of waves
that's where you showed up on the foggiest day
from high above you
i saw your earthling body wrapped in wool
the Glow surrounds you
and when you breathed in i felt the pull

http://kpunk.com/mp3/Microphones-ItWasHotWeStayedIntheWater-The_Pull.mp3

Official Website:

http://www.kpunk.com/Microphones/

Fan Site:

http://mteerie.thebasicbeat.com/

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by William]

ladylamentingonalawnchair
10-09-2003, 06:27 PM
That's a good example, William, that's a fantastic song. And I agree with Sarahe; there are even whole genres of music with no lyrics at all that are absolutely worth listening to. Do you like the NMH instrumental pieces, Freakboy?

10-10-2003, 06:14 AM
Well, I didn't mean post-rock. I meant classical music (excepting opera and lieder and other songs with words). Also folky fiddle tunes and the dance music of the last five centuries. Also the theremin concerto that was written for Clara Rockmore in the 1930s. And scat singing has vocals but no lyrics.

William
10-10-2003, 09:42 AM
As for the modern lyricless genres...I like some jazz - I've only ever really listened to Sun Ra though - plus Bablicon if they are jazz - they have lyrics though, I also like some electronica like Mum, Four Tet, The Books, and Boards Of Canada which aren't very lyrical. As for Post-Rock, Mogwai is one of my favorite bands. I've also tried Sigur Ros which I sometimes like (it has lyrics...but unless you speak Icelandic or their made up lanugae you can't understand them). I don't think I'd like Godspeed You! Black Emperor though or that kind of 'every song is at least 20 minutes' band..

Also, by the way - my favorite Microphones album is actually "Song Islands"..

spacehorse
10-10-2003, 10:46 AM
speaking about music without words, what about ambient music? there is a lot of stuff in that genre which is definitily worth a listen to. brian eno has some really really great music and he almost never uses voices. Music for films by Eno is great, so is Apollo.
and,

yeah William, i love BoC as well. too bad they never tour, it would be nice to see them live.

muskogee
10-10-2003, 11:26 AM
"ice"
the heat came down and breathing got clear
"there was water in your hair"
"and the sun came out, we had to get back in"
the fog burned off and finally i felt near
"sunlight made reflections on your skin"
to the place i like to stay" but the year went on and it got too cold to swim
so i stayed beneath as the water above me froze
from under the ice i saw you in warm clothes
and now i'm thawing out while the fire you made grows

opopopo
10-10-2003, 11:44 AM
i went into a record store a few weeks ago, and asked if they had any microphones. they thought i meant microphones the noun, and not microphones the band. out of three people 'working' there, not a one of them had heard of this terriffic band, and they all stared at me as if i were a walking pile of shredded wheat or something.

why do they let people like this work in music stores?

10-10-2003, 05:54 PM
<<I think I&#039;ll leave scat singing and theremin concertos too - they sound very post-rock to me.>>

I&#039;d say pre-rock really, but you&#039;re certainly entitled to your opinions.

All right, I&#039;m going to bake a pie and then go out dancing tonight!

typewriters
10-10-2003, 09:17 PM
i picked up the lanters b/w antlers 7" today. its just awesome. i cant believe i lost my "dont wake me up" and "it was hot..." cds.

William
10-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Thats one of the singles on "Song Islands". The best single I think is the one with "I Can&#039;t Believe You&#039;ve Actually Died", and "Pearl Diver" on it..

Miss Teen Wordpower
10-13-2003, 11:37 AM
New live Microphones album out in FEBRUARY!!!!!!!!!!111111one

yay :)

perfectbrokenmirror
10-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Thermins are such amazing instruments.

c.s.

nervesandgel
10-13-2003, 11:53 PM
my good friend plays the theremin, she helps me out with shows sometimes. she has one that you play with flashlights instead of your hands, freaking cool!

typewriters
10-14-2003, 07:37 AM
id like to make a thermin. they seem pretty hard to get ahold of. probably even harder to make.

jared
10-15-2003, 10:20 AM
wow, I collected like 5 mount eerie shows on soulseek and the new material is amazing. humans, humans -is my favorite.

anyways if you want these shows I&#039;m sharing them on soulseek

my username is rockonslaught.
the one on kaos radio is the best.

perfectbrokenmirror
10-15-2003, 11:03 AM
yes actually I had the chance to play one in an electronic music course I took at a vocal camp. I wish I had more time to fiddle around with it.

c.s.

oblio
10-15-2003, 11:48 AM
you&#039;re all very preachy

hastycolours
10-18-2003, 11:47 PM
boo lyrics
go music

Freakboy
10-26-2003, 02:59 PM
i finally got my comp fast enuff to hear it all..omg i gotta get a cd man theyre so prety! do they have an official release?

William
10-26-2003, 03:18 PM
They/he has about 5 official releases. Don&#039;t Wake Me Up, It Was Hot We Stayed in the Water, The Glow Pt. 2, Song Islands, and Mount Eerie. My favorite is "Song Islands", but most people like "The Glow Pt. 2". Those are the 2 I have.

Freakboy
11-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Hey! William!

how do you make an mp3 into a link like that? I want to be able to do that with this one song so i can put it on my xanga but i dunno how to turn it into a link :(

oblio
11-15-2003, 05:48 PM
they have many more including tests, blood, little bird flies into big black cloud

i have a cool bootleg of a live japanese show which is being released as an album in february

SchnappM
11-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Build your own theremin!:
http://home.att.net/~theremin1/
You have to know soldering and schematics and all of that, though. It&#039;s still an interesting thing to learn, though.

perfectbrokenmirror
11-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Freakboy let us know when you are able to put songs up on your site. i really want to hear your stuff.

c.s.

William
11-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Freakboy
Hey! William!

how do you make an mp3 into a link like that? I want to be able to do that with this one song so i can put it on my xanga but i dunno how to turn it into a link :(

I just copied the links to an MP3 from another site. I don&#039;t know how you can post mp3s on the internet though.

try making your own music page with http://www.iuma.com/artistuplink/

I think its free to put up one mp3 or whatever, then you can just copy the link like you copy any other web address and you can post it here...

nothroughroad
11-17-2003, 05:02 AM
the microphones are the best band ever made...i wish i made em. but someone already did.:D

Radiophobic Nate
11-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by William
They/he has about 5 official releases. Don&#039;t Wake Me Up, It Was Hot We Stayed in the Water, The Glow Pt. 2, Song Islands, and Mount Eerie. My favorite is "Song Islands", but most people like "The Glow Pt. 2". Those are the 2 I have.
Also there was "Blood" a limited press vinyl only release, "Window" a collection of sound experiments put out by Yoyo, and then there are "Tests", "Moon Moon", and "Little Bird Flies Into A Big Black Cloud", which are more obscure releases which I don&#039;t know anything about.

And for all I know there may be others.

William
11-18-2003, 11:14 AM
You can&#039;t actually easily buy any of those -except "Windows", which is more of any EP I thought..Plus the other ones you listed are all on "Song Islands", since they are just Singles/EPs...

[Edited on 11-18-2003 by William]

Radiophobic Nate
11-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Window is hard to classify. It&#039;s like a 6-track EP, plus 17 other tracks all by the same name. Or maybe it&#039;s a 17 track EP with 6 bonus tracks. It&#039;s a strange album.
Blood and Little Bird... are both limited vinyl-only LPs. And yes, they&#039;re very hard to come by.
The only one I listed that appeared on Song Islands was the Moon Moon 7"; sleep deprivation causes severe mental glitches.

I&#039;m just thought I&#039;d list the releases other than their "proper" albums.

[Edited on 11-18-2003 by Radiophobic Nate]

oblio
11-24-2003, 10:24 AM
window is an extension of don&#039;t wake me up and i believe it is part of the same recording session which make sense because alot of don&#039;t wake me up is on windows and vice versa

Radiophobic Nate
11-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Don&#039;t Wake Me Up is the one &#039;proper&#039; release I don&#039;t yet own.