PDA

View Full Version : I found this on the Elliott Smith board...

finch
04-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Written by Natalie Jane (not me):

The Apples in Stereo were playing at the Blackbird, a small club, with three other bands on the bill. I hate bills like that. I walked in and saw the Minders and diminutive bearded Apples mastermind Robert Schneider sitting at a table together, so I went and joined them. After the usual tinfoil sculpture presentation (a very small Ganesh), I asked Robert how his collaboration with XTC's Andy Partridge was going. He said
he was "frustrated with the project," so I don't know where that's heading. I also asked him about the demise of Elephant 6, and he said, among other things, that the E6 aesthetic had passed into the mainstream of indie-rock and there was really no need for a collective anymore. "But that logo is really important to me," he added, and pulled up his sleeve to display a tattoo of the E6 logo. He talks very fast and volubly, with frequent "um-um's" between sentences. He said that Jeff Mangum is in Canada making music for music therapy ("I can think of no better person for that job," I said), and that there was little hope of the Olivia Tremor Control getting back together. I told him about kissing the Olivia Tremor Control's Will Cullen Hart and Neutral Milk Hotel's Scott Spillane, and, emboldened by beer, said, "In keeping with my reputation as the Elephant 6 floozy, can I give you a kiss?" "You're not a floozy, you're awesome!" he exclaimed, and gave me a hug and a vigorous kiss on the lips. Yow!

bu-bu-bumm
04-15-2003, 05:26 PM
I was also at the Portland show and met Robert. What an awesome guy! Super, super nice. Very friendly, energetic and just a cool person. I haven't seen anyone so down with their fans.
He said that they were getting ready to work on their next record. (maybe this fall I think) He said he's got it all planned out and it was gonna be rockin' and trippy. Sounds cool as hell. If anyone can do it, its them. Fun time, great show, and great person. Apples rock.

raf
04-15-2003, 10:31 PM
agh, hopefully, not too 'rockin'

perfectbrokenmirror
04-16-2003, 08:17 AM
agh, hopefully, not too 'rockin'

i must agree...i am a fan of the apples older stuff. straberryfire, silverly light of a dream, fame, glowworm..the, i guess, "mellow" stuff. sometimes change is for the better...

but no matter what, i will be awaiting this new release

c.s.

friend
04-16-2003, 08:58 AM
the trippy part sounds good.

dolemites_sister
04-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Hmm.. I'm interested as to what frustrates Robert with the Andy Partridge project. Althought, everything I've ever heard and read about him says he's difficult to work with, and that he produces his best music when there is some sort of tension...

So... maybe I just answered my own question...
j

perfectbrokenmirror
04-17-2003, 10:32 AM
i think i'm begining to not keep up with e6 band news. could anyone fill me in on the Andy Partridge project?

thanks and please excuse my ignorance

c.s.

raf
04-17-2003, 10:41 AM
andy from xtc heard the apples, liked and called robert. then they started writing/recording some songs for robert's orchestre fantastique.

i really hope they recorded at least one song. i wanna hear it so bad

finch
04-17-2003, 10:58 AM
I think the project was entiteld "Fuzzy Warbles" wasn't it? Or is that just some other XTC side project thing?

raf
04-17-2003, 11:14 AM
well, fuzzy warbles is the title of a 2-volume cd set andy released with old demos and unreleased songs.

but maybe andy/robert collab would be featured on volume 3? don't know, i can't remember where i read about the orchestre fantastique either

jared
04-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Orchestre Fantastique appears on the soundtrack to don quiote (on spin art). one track is there yet, i've never heard it.I've been meaning to buy it for a while.

as for the apples, I prefer the mellower stuff too. The new stuff neminds me too much of Henry's Dress. I like Henry's Dressy but Ilike the Apples old sound better.

dolemites_sister
04-17-2003, 03:26 PM
OH MAN, would I love to hear the songs they record!

I can only imagine what wonderful music could come out of such a union!!!

j

perfectbrokenmirror
04-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the answers...i have one more question;)

i'm guessing that xtc is a band...any info on it (music style etc)

thanks again

c.s.

dolemites_sister
04-18-2003, 05:32 AM
Oh my God! Run quickly to the nearest music store and pick up some XTC! (not ecstasy mind you... :) )

They are a awesome unbelievable group! The lyrics they create are some of the most amazing I've ever heard..

I suggest your first XTC experience be either Skylarking or Oranges and Lemons...

Nonsuch is good to... Oh yeah and so is English Settlement and .... Well, I could go on for days.. There are a lot of albums to choose from... :)

jenn

perfectbrokenmirror
04-18-2003, 09:18 AM
i highly doubt that our music stores will carry and xtc. i'll have to make a detour to Buffalo. :)
(that is why I WANT TO OPEN A RECORD STORE...first comes the damn business plan though)

i'll let you know which one i get! thanks for the information jenn

c.s.

finch
04-18-2003, 09:37 AM
Most record stores, even the crappy chain stores you find in the mall will carry at least some XTC stuff. At least they used to.

Skylarking is really good. I think I started with Oranges and Lemons. Apple Venus and Wasp Star are their two most recent "real" albums.

They've been around since the early-mid 80s though so they have a huge back catalog of stuff. They also don't tour anymore because Andy doesn't like to tour or gets sick on tour or something.

Back in the day they used to play XTC videos on MTV. Oh how I miss those days.

dolemites_sister
04-18-2003, 10:28 AM
OH yeah.. 120 minutes was really good back then... Those were the days.. The Smiths, XTC... wow.... Good music wasn't quite so hard to find back then (at least it didn't seem that way)

XTC can be found pretty much anywhere... Even in Chattanowhere, which is a good music void..

There are many different levels of XTC.. the early stuff is really fun and exciting too, but like I said, skylarking and oranges and lemons are probably a good start..

j

friend
04-18-2003, 10:45 AM
i just saw matt pinfield a couple of minutes ago while on lunchbreak. he seemed cool. i didn't talk to him, though.

120 minutes was awesome back then. i guess it's good now, from what i hear.

ed
04-18-2003, 03:21 PM
i really recommend the album they did under the name dukes of stratosphear!

dolemites_sister
04-19-2003, 05:08 AM
OOOOh! Yes.. How could I forget...

That album is so great... Its definetly a must have... That would also be a good 1st album to get..

j