PDA

View Full Version : lets talk about major organ

typewriters
09-27-2003, 10:56 AM
thoughts on the album? im in mad love with it.

Apple (in Stereo)
09-28-2003, 09:56 AM
I can't really decide if you should by it or not. The reviews are bad, but some poeple recomend it.

William
09-28-2003, 10:05 AM
I might buy it, I downloaded Madame Truffle and I liked that...

typewriters
09-28-2003, 11:02 AM
i downloaded the whole album awhile ago and it is absolutly amazing. i know kevin barnes does vocals on some songs and so does jeff mangum. but fuck reviews i guess its up to everyones own liking. i recommend it

channelfan
09-28-2003, 08:51 PM
i really enjoy the major organ album, and i certainly like me some music tapes!!

typewriters
09-29-2003, 07:38 AM
i dont know if i like it more than the music tapes or not. its kind of split. but major organ has a more hi-fi sound. EXECPT! the louis armstrong cover they did. that totally reminds me of music tapes.

wizardcombat
09-29-2003, 02:34 PM
I listened to it for about three months straight when I got it a couple years ago.
I don't know why, I guess I just liked it.
It's really just something to turn on and forget about.

el topo
09-29-2003, 07:43 PM
When it comes to Elephant 6, if the reviews are bad, that means it's brilliant.

Pick it up.

el topo
10-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Well, it's certainly different.

Someone on the old forum said that it was like hanging out with the Athens gang for a late night party, and watching them improvise and experiment and play around. And that's how I felt when I first heard it. Yes, there are some tracks that annoy me (though not as much after a few listens). There are others that are just spectacular; I particularly love "His Mistress' Pet Whistles" and "Madam Truffle." But I think the E6 crowd is often divided between those who love the experimental stuff and those who hate it, and I tend to...like it...

I guess my take on their avant-garde stuff is that if it seems to create a feeling of a place that can be inhabited, an atmosphere established, I really dig it. This is why I really like NMH's "Aunt Eggma Blowtorch," Olivia Tremor Control's soundscapes, and the Music Tapes.

Yes, some will say it's just a lot of noise, and I understand that. But it reminds me of when I saw OTC for the first time, on their last tour, and they started doing one of their more experimental pieces when some drunk guy screamed, "Play songs!" Then the band looked a little intimidated, Scott Spillane said, "Okay!" and that was the end of their experimenting for the evening. Frankly, I would have liked a more indulgent audience, because I don't think you can create something really brilliant unless you experiment, and that seems to be the E6 point of view.

Now, whether or not the experiment of Major Organ worked is a matter of opinion, but personally I really enjoy listening to it. When there's no one around. :)

typewriters
10-02-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by el topo
Well, it's certainly different.

Someone on the old forum said that it was like hanging out with the Athens gang for a late night party, and watching them improvise and experiment and play around. And that's how I felt when I first heard it. Yes, there are some tracks that annoy me (though not as much after a few listens). There are others that are just spectacular; I particularly love "His Mistress' Pet Whistles" and "Madam Truffle." But I think the E6 crowd is often divided between those who love the experimental stuff and those who hate it, and I tend to...like it...

I guess my take on their avant-garde stuff is that if it seems to create a feeling of a place that can be inhabited, an atmosphere established, I really dig it. This is why I really like NMH's "Aunt Eggma Blowtorch," Olivia Tremor Control's soundscapes, and the Music Tapes.

Yes, some will say it's just a lot of noise, and I understand that. But it reminds me of when I saw OTC for the first time, on their last tour, and they started doing one of their more experimental pieces when some drunk guy screamed, "Play songs!" Then the band looked a little intimidated, Scott Spillane said, "Okay!" and that was the end of their experimenting for the evening. Frankly, I would have liked a more indulgent audience, because I don't think you can create something really brilliant unless you experiment, and that seems to be the E6 point of view.

Now, whether or not the experiment of Major Organ worked is a matter of opinion, but personally I really enjoy listening to it. When there's no one around. :)

e6 experimental > e6 bubblegum pop

i personally really enjoy all expiremental from e6. i also enjoy pretty much everything noise and soundscapes. for some people noise is just an endurance test and hold no weight. but there is a time and a place for it all though. i would listen to black swan network in my cd player walking around town. but the great thing about major organ is its a mixture of both. it has its "experimental" songs and its poppy songs (which still hold some of the experimental feeling). its along the same lines as: black swan network, music tapes, frosted ambassador... its all brilliant to me.

typewriters
10-02-2003, 08:17 AM
oh yeah. i was sitting in the hall of my school with some friends playing go and we were listening to madame truffle. and some fucker had the nerve to come up and criticize it. he said "who ever is singing really sucks at it. he can't hit any notes." i wanted to punch him in the face.