PDA

View Full Version : clay bears

typewriters
09-24-2003, 12:02 PM
as said in the E6 discography, there was supposed to be an album released by the clay bears. im just wondering if they actually recorded the album and it was never put out, or the whole thing was scrapped all together. if a recording does exist, why hasn't anyone put it out yet? i know HHBTM released the vince mole 7" since E6 ended up not doing it.

William
09-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Jeff Mangum said on the XFM Radio thing that the Clay Bears were releasing a double-album, I looked it up on AllMusic.com, it has The Clay Bears but no albums listed. Thats all I know.

henrikhhh
09-24-2003, 02:00 PM
who are in the clay bears?

typewriters
09-24-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by henrikhhh
the only people i know are/were in it were Ross Beach, Jeff Mangum, and Scott Spillane. i really want to hear it because it is Ruston-era stuff. i think theres more info about it on www.rossbeach.com

henrikhhh
09-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by typewriters

Originally posted by henrikhhh
the only people i know are/were in it were Ross Beach, Jeff Mangum, and Scott Spillane. i really want to hear it because it is Ruston-era stuff. i think theres more info about it on www.rossbeach.com

thanks.. had never heard about it

typewriters
09-24-2003, 02:36 PM
here is the line up:

Scott Spillane - guitar, voice
Ross Beach - bass, voice, organ
Jeff Mangum - drums, voice, organ
Will Westbrook - guitar, organ

i would also like to hear Smilin' Joe Fission. seems like a good lineup for them:

Scott Spillane - guitar, voice
John Fernandes - violin
Mike Fuselier - bass
Joel Evans - guitar
Ross Beach - guitar
John D'azzo - drums

i'll email ross (since we live in the same town) and see if he can dub me any recordings he has

henrikhhh
09-24-2003, 02:39 PM
i'll email ross (since we live in the same town)

yeah, you couldn't mail him if you didn't live in the same town, right? ;) :P

[Edited on 9-24-2003 by henrikhhh]

typewriters
09-24-2003, 04:41 PM
haha, NO!!!
actually i wrote down call...but then i realized i didn't have his number. that;d make it hard.
also...so then i could just meet up with him.
he's in a band here called Ross & The Hellpets, i havent heard them but they are always playing crappy shows opening at crappy clubs...and im thinking the music isn't anything like his old stuff. i kindof feel bad for him now.

jared
09-24-2003, 05:52 PM
ross and the hellpets are good. The cd is self released and it's definately worth the 5$. Also check out his The Hand-Crafted Heart Sickness Calliope tape-it has Scott Spillane playing on it.it might be out of print though.

as for the clay bears -I don't think they exist anymore-ross hung around jeff quite some time ago-look under ross's page (I think I read some stuff there)

muse
10-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Ross and The Hellpets play songs that clock under the 2-minute mark. They are definitely more "poppy� sounding than any of the E6'ers. I think Ross has found his own niche, and continues to write great songs. I'm not sure how you can say, "I haven’t heard them, but they are always playing crappy shows", when you obviously stated that you haven't heard them. I was just entertained by your reply…not trying to cause conflict.

I don't know anything about the
Clay Bear’s sound, but I’m interested.

typewriters
10-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by muse
Ross and The Hellpets play songs that clock under the 2-minute mark. They are definitely more "poppy� sounding than any of the E6'ers. I think Ross has found his own niche, and continues to write great songs. I'm not sure how you can say, "I haven’t heard them, but they are always playing crappy shows", when you obviously stated that you haven't heard them. I was just entertained by your reply…not trying to cause conflict.

I don't know anything about the
Clay Bear’s sound, but I’m interested.
just because i havent heard them doesn't mean i dont know the show is a crappy show. they open for shitty local metal bands at a crappy tavern all the time. i just dont see a large fan base.

muse
10-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Man...you're killing me! :)
I noticed that the Ross Beach site has a TOUR DATE ARCHIVE link, and from what I can tell they play all types of clubs, and even played Musicfest Northwest. Most of the bands that they have played with don't appear to be even close to heavy metal.
I've been to Portland several times and I think that I know the music scene fairly well. There are lot of great bands, but for some reason people don't go out to see them.

typewriters
10-28-2003, 10:38 PM
I noticed that the Ross Beach site has a TOUR DATE ARCHIVE link, and from what I can tell they play all types of clubs, and even played Musicfest Northwest. Most of the bands that they have played with don't appear to be even close to heavy metal.
I've been to Portland several times and I think that I know the music scene fairly well. There are lot of great bands, but for some reason people don't go out to see them.
MAN! im from portland. i know this shit dude. i can count the amount of good portland bands on one hand dude. i just didn't think they got the recognition they should of on just the fact ross beach was in it. this dude played in all sorts of amazing bands including NMH. i dont know why you taking such offense to this but its pretty lame.
oh yeah...musicfest northwest is completely lame and shitty bands are the only ones who really play it (aside from a 5 or so decent bands)
puh-lease

muse
10-29-2003, 02:28 PM

MAN! im from portland. i know this <b>****</b> dude. i can count the amount of good portland bands on one hand dude. i just didn&#039;t think they got the recognition they should of on just the fact ross beach was in it. this dude played in all sorts of amazing bands including NMH. i dont know why you taking such offense to this but its pretty lame.
oh yeah...musicfest northwest is completely lame and shitty bands are the only ones who really play it (aside from a 5 or so decent bands)
puh-lease

You&#039;re cute. I was just pointing out invalid statements in your replies.
Also, I&#039;m glad that you support your local music scene.
This is my final answer (reply) Regis.

[Edited on 10-29-2003 by muse]

typewriters
10-30-2003, 10:30 AM
HAHA

Dihnekis
06-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Well it is a shame that a bullshit argument ruined this thread five years ago...

Anyway, anyone know if the Clay Bears ever put out any recordings? Sounds like an interesting project.

King Slime
12-24-2009, 03:57 PM
bump for info

jdrawmeasheep
12-24-2009, 06:24 PM
bump for info

x2