PDA

View Full Version : Our Musical Journies...

William
09-23-2003, 06:58 PM
I was wondering how people came to be where they are today musically..I thought about it with myself, and decided to make a topic about it rather then posting it in another thread..

Mine started listening to what my parents listened to as most people do...everything from Bob Marley, The Beatles and Bob Dylan and others like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and the Talking Heads. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. I liked it though I guess, I remember sometimes requestion Bob Marley to be put on when I was 9 or 10...I didn't form my own music tastes (unseriously) till' I was 12 (...2 years ago...:o) and then it was still just very follower music that I just listened to because it was cool..the first albums I bought were like.."Unleash The Dragon" by Sisqo (which my mother took back to the store because of the naughtiness), and "The Ecleftic" by Wyclef Jean...Then after that when I was early into 13 years I got into 'underground' hip-hop like Talib Kweli, Black Star, and then into others later on like Aesop Rock, and Anticon which I was more serious about while surfing pages like HipHopNation.org and OkayPlayer.com - I never bought any albums in that stage (which was relatively short) I was all about . Then by late-13 I got into rock and roll and started buying albums, I got into it with Radiohead I guess. After that it was more trendy (not necessarily bad) alternative rock like the Strokes, and the White Stripes. Then I started reading Pitchfork through looking up a review of a Radiohead album and that came up, and I also read the "So You Wannabe Indie Rock" thing on that "So You Wanna" website. So after that I wanted to try out some of those bands it listed for fun. On the "So You Wanna" Indie Rock guide it mentions Elephant 6, it intrigued me. Then for Christmas 2002 my dad gave me a 25$ Gift Certificate to Amazon.com. With it I bought one of the last Radiohead albums left to buy, and after looking up some of the mentioned bands on the "So You Wanna Guide" one description of an album caught my eye and it was.....*drum roll* "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel (I also bought "A Dream In Sound" by Elf Power packaged with it). 55 various albums bought later that pretty much started the upward spiral I'm on today.

[Edited on 9-24-2003 by William]

typewriters
09-23-2003, 08:49 PM
i have had an odd "musical journey" so to speak.

when i was young i basically did listen to what my dad and mom listened to, which was alot of Dire Straits, Meatloaf, Elton John, and Pink Floyd. But all through elementary school i listened to classic rock, Queen, and Talking Heads. into middle school i kindof was doing what everyone else did, i like crappy poppunk (although poppunk was cool band then...weird huh?) you know...green day, pansy division, the queers...etc. it was about 7th grade i liked a friend who got me into older punk and i started listening to alot of Sham 69, MC5, Anti-Nowhere League, Stiff Little Fingers, Germs...etc. as phases go i slowly moved my way out of there and into hardcore and emo in 9th grade. i pretty much stayed that way for a year and then got into more substantial indierock. i was a devout modest mouse fan from 10-11th grade (saw em 3 times...own practically their whole discography blah blah). it was also in 10th grade i found out about E6. i just listened to Of Montreal and Music Tapes mainly. at the time i didn't really care for NMH and OTC. after which i got into weirder shit...alot of Noise and Nowave (which im still into), and then a soft spot for early 90's screamo. but i keep coming back to E6, and with a greater appreciation for what they have put out. (by the way...im 17 and a senior in highschool...for reference).

opopopo
09-23-2003, 08:50 PM
i remeber dancing around the living room to my parents beach boys, beatles, beegees, queen, and other various interesting albums (which now live in my room, along with the ol' record player) at a very young age. i loved anything even remotely musical, i was a dancing machine. in grade six, i was all over disco. i totally refused to listen to anything on the radio in elementary. i knew there had to be more to music than the spice girls. by grade 8 peer pressure had gotten me listening to the local pop station, but i managed to come out the other side of that terrible phase sans a single backstreet boys album. i hated that stuff, but it made the cool kids like me. same old story there. by highschool i had realized how awful the cool kids were, and left behind all that popular awfulness. i then got back into the oldies i loved so much when i was little. still, all along i'd known that there must be some interetsing and inspiring music somewhere out there. one day, my dear friend jessica sent me Of Montreal's 'penelope', and the rest is history.

nervesandgel
09-23-2003, 09:50 PM
brief story
i was about 6 when Mtv was invented, and boy did I love my Mtv. Mtv was completely my babysitter and my source for all music. so in 1991 when Nirvana broke big and they implanted in my head that there was much more music out there than what was on tv or the radio i searched for it. living in a small town i couldn't find much but found some.

one day i met someone who introduced me to "the Legendary Pink dots", and my whole take on music changed. i started listening to lots of wierd experimental music, specifically "nurse with wound" which is a lot of cut and paste

by now i had moved to denver where i could find much better music (and yes denver has great record stores)

one day i was in the record store and there was this wierd cut and paste style song blasting over the speakers and i just loved it and was wondering why i didn't own this album. then the song ended and this wierd almost pop but lo fi song came on and i went to see what cd they were playing and it turned out to be otc's singles and beyond. i bought the record that day, and it took some time for me to get into it, but i eventually bought black foilage and haven't turned back.

i ended up going to an of montreal and ran into an old friend from the town i lived in and we've been hanging out since. introducing tons of music to each other.

maybe that wasn't brief

dolemites_sister
09-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Yay! I was wondering if someone would start this thread!

I have had a long musical journey.. My dad is a southern gospel quartet singer, and I used to go to singings with him all the time when I was little.. I believe this is why I love harmonies so much.

Then when my brother was in college, I was in 5th grade and he told me there was no way I was going to listen to bad music, so he started me listening to XTC and the Smiths.. (no wonder I'm warped..) Then in 7th grade I went through a 3 month crappy music phase where I attended a New Kids On The Block concert (hey.. at least I admited it!), and I realized that type of music was really crappy and I really did like the stuff that my brother was listening to.

REM, the B52's and The Smiths were my first favorite bands. Then I went through a period in high school where I listened to nothing but the Beatles for 2 years straight, and then Nirvana broke and I was a fashion victim in the grunge era!

My college boyfriend turned me on to Tori Amos, the Grateful Dead, and some other good music. Then I got into brit pop (i.e. blur, Charlatans, etc..).. Then I saw the Bulldog Skin video on 120 minutes and fell in love with GBV.. So thus begins my journey into indie music. I don't remember who told me to buy In The Aeroplane.. but I did and the next week I saw NMH live, and I've been an e6 junkie every since..

Whew... Sorry that was so long! :) Don't ask me about my musical journey again! :)

dolemites_sister
09-24-2003, 03:27 AM
I'm impressed with William and others who like really good music at such a young age.. When I was going through my New Kids On The Block stage, they are listening to stuff like NMH..

Wow.. I'm really impressed with everyone's music tastes really... What a great thread!

henrikhhh
09-24-2003, 04:33 AM
My first experience with music, as far as i can remember, was that i used to borrow and copy these michael jackson cassettes that a friend of mine had. It was a looong time ago, we didn't even have a cd player, i guess i was 9 or perhaps 10 years old. The michael jackson period can't have lasted more than a year or so, and later on in 5th and 6th grade i cant remember listening to music at all. It was a period where i sat home all day and learned to make webpages and such (i think this was in the time when the internet had barely started to get 'big'). In 7th grade, i heard Dr Dre's 'The Chronic' and got hooked on hip-hop for a while. Especially N.W.A., Dr Dre and early stuff by Warren G, Snoop, and such. I think that led me on to Rage Against The Machine in some way, which not so much later led me on to Nirvana, which became my favourite band at the time. I must've been 13 years old by then. I heard the song "Losing my religion" on MTV, and started buying REM-albums, and particularly loved the earliest ones. This thing continued in to the usual (Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Manic Street Preachers, and so on), until I at the age of 16 received a mix-cd from a friend who's dad was some form of record distributor. On this cd was some songs by the World Party, Flaming Lips and.. the Apples In Stereo. And this is what hooked me on to the Elephant 6 thing. I started reading on these bands, and heard about Neutral Milk Hotel, and I think I downloaded Aeroplane of somewhere (this was in 99, so it hadn't been out for so long). I loved the album, and I still think it's the most perfect thing ever recorded. Everything past that is really too complicated and have too many branches and genres and bands to go into, I guess.. Elephant 6, belle & sebastian, pulp, indie, chamber, twee pop, c86, shoegaze, shibuya, and so on and so on and so on...

nice man washing
09-24-2003, 07:00 AM
Congratulations to GrossDaddy57 for the longest post on the board!

nice man washing
09-24-2003, 07:07 AM
OK – here are my stages:

Under ten:
MC Hammer, Michael Jackson

Early teens:
Def Leppard, Queen

16:
Smashing Pumpkins
Belly
R.E.M.

18:
The Pixies
The Breeders
Nirvana
Dinosaur Jnr

21:
Jim O’Rourke
Olivia Tremor Control
Beatles
Beach Boys
Flaming Lips
Mercury Rev

25:
Animal Collective
Circulatory System
Neutral Milk Hotel
Sea and Cake
Yo La Tengo

26:
Captain Beefheart (and that’s where I am now!)

Massively simplified, yes, but it shows the general trend.

raydavies02
09-24-2003, 08:03 AM
I was lucky in the fact that I had a really cool older sister who lead me in the right direction. One of my earliest childhood memories is when I was 3 years old. I remember sitting in my sister's room playing with blocks while "new day rising" by husker du is on the stereo. I really started getting into music at the age of 11.

Age 11:

The Beatles
Husker Du
The Byrds
James Brown

Age 12 (the defining moment which set up my musical adventure from now on):

The Jam (paul weller was an icon to me)
The Clash
Elvis Costello

Age 13:

Joy Division
The Pixies

Age 14:

Talking Heads
The Replacements
Pavement

Age 15:

Gang of Four
The Kinks (blew my mind)
The Zombies
The Lilys

Age 16:

The Velvet Underground ( the Peel Slowly and See box set....that's all I listened to for a whole year)
Radiohead

Age 17:

Yo La Tengo
Wire
Wilco
The Smiths
Television

Age 18:

Both "Nuggets" Box Sets (a dream come true)
David Bowie
Belle and Sebastian
New York Dolls
Love
Soft Boys

Age 19:

The Features
Captain Beefheart
The Flamin' Groovies
Of Montreal
Apples in Stereo
Great Lakes
Roxy Music
The Strokes

Age 20:

Serge Gainsbourg
Clinic
Can
The Shins
Mission of Burma
Lilliput

I have just turned 21 and am currently loving:

Brian Eno
Silver Apples
Van Dyke Parks
Beat Happening

Im excited to see where I'll go from here......

[Edited on 9-24-2003 by raydavies02]

[Edited on 9-24-2003 by raydavies02]

nice man washing
09-24-2003, 08:36 AM
Wow - it seems most people here were into great music in their early teens or even before. I wasted those years listening to pap.

nice man washing
09-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Nah - just beautiful.

bedbug
09-24-2003, 11:11 AM
grade school:
Motley Crue
Poison
Faster Pussycat.

junior high:
The Cure
Violent Femmes
Janes Addiction
The Pixies

9th grade:
Superchunk
Dinosaur Jr.
Lemonheads
Sonic Youth

10th grade:
Descendents
Ramones
the Hi-Fives

12th grade:
Jawbreaker
J Church
Replacements
Husker Du

early college:
Superchunk (revisited)
The Figgs
The Beatles
Tullycraft
Go Sailor
Beulah
Guided by Voices

late college:
Wilco
Olivia Tremor Control
Neutral Milk Hotel
Circulatory System

[Edited on 9-24-2003 by bedbug]

MrG
09-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Ha, thanks for stealing my idea (http://www.e6townhall.com/viewthread.php?tid=674) William. :P

I'm only going to tell you my musical journey when you give me credit for coming up with this idea first. Kind of ish.

If you'd just give me credit, I can give more money to the starving Islamic children.

Cat Stevens

[Edited on 9-24-2003 by MrG]

William
09-24-2003, 03:39 PM
I thought about it with myself, and decided to make a topic about it rather then posting it in another thread.. - Me (from this thread)

Did you listen to much music in third grade? - MrG (from the thread he linked to)

Theres sort of credit for sort of basing it on your comment/question.

[Edited on 9-24-2003 by William]

nice man washing
09-25-2003, 03:21 AM
Who gives a shit who started it? It's a good idea anway. A round of applause for one and all.

nice man washing
09-25-2003, 06:31 AM
I think the point I started to listen to good music was when I bought Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins when I was 16. I listened to it every day for about a year, and I still rate it. It's been glorious music all the way since then.

dolemites_sister
09-25-2003, 01:33 PM
My turning point was hearing REM's Automatic for the People... Then after that it was the Beatles.. I love them so much... I decided to buy Rubber Soul and I was hooked.. I will never forget hearing that album the first time..

j

ladylamentingonalawnchair
09-25-2003, 03:18 PM
This is a wonderful thread! Here's my musical journey:

My youth was spent listening to my parents' Beatles and folk and classical records. The first record I bought was the soundtrack to Oliver! but the first cassette (I admit this freely) was Ace of Base. I was into Toad the Wet Sprocket for a while, and REM, and They Might Be Giants. In middle school I discovered our really great 'alternative' station. It was Canadian and so by law was required to play 20% Canadian music, and I was introduced to great (and not so great) Canadian indie bands: Sloan, the Odds, etc. I would stay up late on Sundays and sneak down to the living room and put on 120 Minutes at a very low volume. My next obsession was with Catherine Wheel, then (I'm not sure how this jump happened) Sebadoh, Superchunk, the Archers of Loaf, Bis. A wonderful friend introduced me to Pulp and the Smiths. I was a record geek. In middle and high school I knew all the words to all the songs on the radio, the names of all the songs, the members of the bands, the names of their records, as well as being more indie and buying everything I could afford from Subpop, Merge, and Alias. In early college a friend lent me If You're Feeling Sinister, which I immediately listened to several hundred times. I dated girls who really liked Ani DiFranco and Dar Williams, and a boy who liked death metal, all of which music I have a lingering affection for. I knew a lot of composers and got interested in contemporary classical music. I got into E6 after buying ITAOTS just because it was on Merge. I was immediately obsessed, and got into the other bands from there. I can't remember how long I've been on this board, three years, four? I got a radio show and played mostly E6. The rest of the story is more of the same, new exciting discoveries. My recent interests are tweepop, riot grrl, country and the Young Marble Giants. Thanks for reading!

muskogee
09-25-2003, 04:09 PM
i have a recording of me and my brother when i was 2 singing "barbara ann" , the houston oilers theme song, and other country delights. I grew up listening to my dad sing + play zombies, hank williams, johnny cash and merle haggard songs. my favorite songs he sang were there's a hole in the bottom of the sea and mountain dew. sometimes my mother would chime in with some nice harmonies and do "teach your children" (csny) or something. listened to disney children's songs tape. mmmm. I loved playing with the ol' mammoth record player. listening to homer and jethro, the monkees, and the beach boys. was really into the monkees and their tv show. started listening to rap, you know the ol' school specials, run dmc, etc. so me and my brother wrote some rap songs and recorded them. "troops" was the name of our band. "troops be the name of the shoes we like, their the ones we like to wear when wer'e rockin' the mic". twas about the tennis shoe called troops, this probably had to do with run dmc's my adidas. in 5th grade, my brother, and my 2 cousins tried to play "happy together" for my aunt on drums, trombones, and saxaphone. didn't turn out real good. when 12, brother bought electric guitar, dad taught us how to play "house of the rising sun". there were so many chords in that song, we learned enough to start writing songs. we were being influened by nirvana, guns and roses, tom petty, barry mcquire, the byrds. etc. also, have to throw in queensryche. we would go to mall and buy the tapes that we thought had cool covers. this led us to buy the first sloan and pond cds. heard pavement on no alternative and bought crooked rain, crooked rain. my brother and i found highway 61 revisited and then alot of bob dylan tapes. met channelfan in college and we all went from florida to texas and in 98, he showed us aeroplane and tone soul. i was reluctant at first, then dusk at cubist castle came along and i liked alot. made me say, mmm.

perfectbrokenmirror
09-25-2003, 07:18 PM
In my youth I was entertained by Kid Songs and whatever operas, musicals, or classical music my mother listened to. In 3rd grade I feel in love with Paul Simon and would dance around the house to the Graceland album. By the time I got to 5th grade I was still into soundtracks - Annie, lion king, etc - but got introduced to oldies by my friend's sister, since she would always listen to oldies in the car when she drove us around. 6th grade comes around and I fall in love with Bob Marley. At first I didn't want to listen to "mommy's music" but after awhile I started requesting that we listen to that tape. Partway through 6th grade I meet my best friend, Sam, and he introduced me to the wonderful radio. I became a radio addict, taping late night shows, singing along - your basic Billboards Top 40 girl ( I was in love with Ace of Base). This continued into 8th grade. I also started getting into techno/house/progressive etc around 7th grade and wanted to be a raver (I did go to a rave in 9th grade, it was fun). Late 8th grade, mostly the beginning of 9th, I started mellowing out a bit - Cranberries, The Corrs made their way into my cd player - and I got into weezer, American hi-fi, and Bush. I was still into the techno and started break dancing.

And then I woke up

Slightly into 10th grade I experienced the best thing to happen so far in my life. I don't really know what it was. All I know is that it woke me up. I ran away, or attempted to, and I listened to female vocal music and remember wanting to find more mellow music that fitted my moods. When I came back home began going to the amazon.com essential music lists and looking up stuff to download/burn. I was still into dance/techno but not as into it as before. I got back into my musical/soundtrack phase also. I got into Ani DiFranco, I'm not sure how, Jimmy Eat World, Dashboard Confessional (from an article in the paper), GUK - emo in word. Things just started building from there. I remember reading about Ani on Audiogalaxy (R.I.P) and someone mentioned Aimee Mann. I didn't pay much attention then till after the Oscars...

I like to watch films that were nominated for Oscar and Ghost World happened to be one of those films. I feel in love with it. I was searching for music from the movie and mistakenly downloaded a song called Ghost World. I listened to it and realized that 1) it wasn't from the movie and 2) I wanted to find out who sang it because I was enjoying it. So I searched for lyrics and they came up, the song was by Aimee Mann. I downloaded some more songs, Save Me and Wise Up, and began to listen to those all day long. From Aimee I started listening to Bjork and Radiohead. One day I work I was talking to my friend about music and she told me about her favorite band, Belle and Sebastian. I came home and downloaded some songs, Get me away from here I'm dying and If you're feeling sinister. Needless to say I feel head over heels. I burned a copy of If You're Feeling Sinister and listened to it all the time. It was also around this time that Massive Attack found its way into my cd player.

That summer I went to France and when I came back we moved to NY. Belle and Sebastian, along with Mylene Farmer, became the soundtracks of my life. I had to spend the entire month of August by myself because my mother had already started to teach and I didn't know anybody. I would spend my days unpacking, watching movies, reading Shakespeare, and downloading music. One day out of sheer boredom I decided to go through the entire Amazon.com essential music lists. I was attracted to the band Fuck, because of their name, and was completely taken aback by the way they sounded. I decided to download some more from the essential indie list. The next name that jumped out at me was Neutral Milk Hotel. I remember that it was about 2 am in the morning when I listened to the track in the aeroplane over the sea. I was in shock. I think I almost started crying. I downloaded the album and burned it and listened to it constantly. I started to do research about the band and soon came to the Orange Twin website. From there I found my way to the Elephant 6 website. I went to the links page and started visiting the websites of bands listed - Artichoke, Plastic Mastery, etc.

I decided that since I really enjoyed NMH I would once again turn to Amazon to find something similar. I started looking into the bands that others that had bough nmh liked and stumbled upon The Shins. It was also around this time that I got into Apples in Stereo. I burned a mix cd of The Shins and AIS and took it to school to listen to in the darkroom while I printed. I left the cd in the player when I went to my voice lesson and when I returned this girl, my best friend now, told me how they made her turn off the AIS. I was completely aghast. So I asked if she knew about NMH and she did. She made me a cd of Creeper Lagoon's songs and our friendship started from that moment, Samantha is an incredible friend.

Well to bring this to an end, I stumbled upon this web board, joined, and found out about more bands. I continued to use Amazon. com and it has definitely been a great recourse for me. I have found out about so many bands in this past year that it amazes me. I have really only been listening to indie for about a year but my band knowledge has greatly increased.

c.s.

hastycolours
09-25-2003, 11:15 PM
opopopo, I just cant believe the first of montreal song you heard was penelope. That song does stuff to my body.

(in short, makes it move)

nervesandgel
09-26-2003, 01:31 AM
i haven't read your whole post yet (will probably do so tommorow, but i'm tired right now) but have you seen the movie "magnolia" its based off of an amiee mann song and its such a beautiful movie, i highly recomend it. one of the best 3 hours of my life was sitting there watching that moive for the first time.

dolemites_sister
09-26-2003, 03:08 AM
Ghost World.. One of my favorite movies...

hastycolours
09-26-2003, 10:25 PM
willy wonka and the CHO factory is actually a very good movie. never saw it as a child, saw it for the first time about eight months ago. better off that way of course. Ghost world was at a closing video store for four dollars and i contemplated getting it because of what c.s. had said about it to me in the past. if it's hard for you to find, i can grab a copy for you if you'd like, im probly going to get it now.
Umm...just to break this chain i listened to oldies radio when i was eight, it was the first thing i ever heard and was amazed, recorded stuff from radio and liked don mclean alot and then in the future did what everyone else did with music, and after that ended up where they are now. (no feeling for detail)

abstrick
09-27-2003, 10:09 PM
At an early age my parents surrounded me with Eagles, Anne Murray and Beach Boys.
I had an older cousin that was a really into Heart when I still a young pup, so she got me listening to that.
Then in junior high, had some guy introduce me to Dead Milkmen, Violent Femmes and Grateful Dead.
High school (in Alabama) brought me to Hank Sr., David Allen Coe, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Willie and Flatt & Scruggs.
From a college radio station, I got into: Radiohead, Jets to Brazil, Belle & Sebastian and Apples in Stereo.
Seeing Great Lakes live prompted me to check out the E6 collective. Thus, discovering NMH.
Since then, I like to listen to any E6 band, John Fahey, Songs: Ohia, M. Ward and (the ultimate cool) Frank Sinatra.

perfectbrokenmirror
09-28-2003, 05:00 PM
haven't seen Magnolia but I'm dying to after I found out about Aimee doing most of the soundtrack (i've known that for the past year of so)

Rushmore and Ghost World are both excellent movies!! Kudos to all that enjoy them.

c.s.

opopopo
09-28-2003, 05:11 PM
yeah hastycolors, penelope sure was the first OM song i heard. infact, it was the first non-mainstream song i've ever heard. needless to say, its my favorite song ever ever ever. a million times thanks to my friend jessica for introducing it to me, wherever she is...

Freakboy
09-28-2003, 08:29 PM
oh boy.

well in can definitely remember my mom always listening to hawaiian music, cuz i live there, but i hate it cuz i cant understand what then hell the people are saying.
then there was a "radio disney" period, which i hated almost all the music on except for wierd al and the hampster dance...
then there was my "disturbed, korn, system of a down" phase..
then one day i walked into my brother's room and oh comely was playing.
my eye started twitching and i went "what the hell is this?" not like ewww but very intrigued.
i still listened to crappy bands then, with some exceptions like Bush, Nirvana, and Radiohead, but it was a lot of crappy mainstream metal i thought was good.
but lately ive been getting more into the underground stuff, or more than most, bright eyes, bob dylan, sage francis, etcetera.
around the time i heard neutral milk hotel i really got serious about playing music.
since i had found Bush, i wanted to play in a band and started guitar but never really wrote very much, but when i heard neutral milk hotel i decided: it wasnt going to be a hard rock band, but one with maracas, kazoos, bagpipes and my accoustic guitar. i started writing lyrics, trying to fit that obscurity jeff mangum does so well without being like him.
that didnt work, dont know why i was obsessed.
now im trying to be conner oberst, heh.

dolemites_sister
09-29-2003, 01:03 AM
The Hampster dance, huh?

I took me 2 years to get that song out of my head.

ladylamentingonalawnchair
09-29-2003, 12:10 PM
Maybe it's our obsession with everything with a British accent? Maybe they sounded more exotic then homegrown grungey bands? Though I remember them being on the radio constantly five years back or so, I can't remember a single song of theirs. I actually once called up my radio station to make an anti-request: that they might go for an hour without playing Bush. They wouldn't do it though.

hastycolours
09-29-2003, 09:35 PM
AHH!!! a lost friend?! oh my, how morose. people who pass in the lives of us is such a strange thing. i always wonder and think about the people i knew years ago, or even the people i practically DONT even remember from years and years ago, making another pass trhough my life and me not knowing, and then discovering it, and yeah, you know what i mean im sure, but thought a strange thing, eh?

dolemites_sister
09-30-2003, 02:50 AM
Half-handed,
Its so true... I often wonder if people from other countries enjoy our accents.. Of course the southern accent is so harsh, but in some ways I love it. People work really hard to get rid of their southern accent.. I can't get rid of it. I had someone when I was in Las Vegas tell me I sounded like Dolly Parton. Now that I didn't like. But I have learned to love the accent I have.

I went through a huge Brit-pop phase, and I still go ga ga for someone with a foriegn accent. I can't help it. Like the Belle & Sebastian song on the Boy With the Arab Strap where they are just talking. Oh I love that!!!!

Sorry for sounding like a 12year old school girl.. :)

perfectbrokenmirror
09-30-2003, 09:48 AM
I must confess that I too have a weak spot for foreign accents. Not all foreign accents mind you but some.

I also have an affinity for people who can speak other languages, especially French ( j'adore le francais)

c.s.

acrobat
09-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Grew up listening to oldies, and Monkees, and Beatles and Dylan and Bob Marley (a lot of what my parents had). And I still love it to this very day (60s still my favorite time for music--oldies absolutely rule). The Beatles are my favorite band, although I didn't really like them a lot until I was around 11 or so (I used to think the Monkees were so much cooler--though I do love the Monkees).

then when I was 12, I saw Smashing Pumpkins video for "Today" and I looked at the screen with absolute wonder. Not too long later, I became a Smashing Pumpkins FANATIC, and I really only stopped being a fanatic about 3 years ago. But they are still wonderful. And "Today" is still my all-time favorite song. Ever.

At around the same time, I really liked the Breeders, but I really got into them in around 98 or so. I love them very much, and may God bless Kim Deal. Breeders/Amps from '90-'95 really remind me of my early a lot of my teenage-mid teenage years and the music of the time, which definitely had some bright memories.

It was through the Breeders that I got introduced to another band form the same city--a band that the Breeders had covered. Guided By Voices. And this band, ladies and gentlemen, has--very literally--made life so much more fun. I absolutely love this band and feel that they are an incredible gift to music (I know I'm getting a little mushy, but isn't it wild how music can do that to you?)

So, I guess the bands that mean the most to me personally:

Beatles, Guided By Voices, Smashing Pumpkins, Breeders.

oblio
10-01-2003, 07:20 AM
as a child i really liked the California Raisins and the Beach Boys. In elementary I had a brief encounter with the new kids, but that didn't last too long.
in grade 6 i started to like bon jovi and i bought every bon jovi tape. in grade 7, greenday dookie came out. I had been listening to bon jovi for the past year and didnt know much about music so this was a wide awakening and basket case was perhaps the best song i had heard since i was listening to the beach boys on my fisherprice record player. I also bought my first CDs that year. Some AC/DC, Tripping Daisy and the Weezer blue album. I subscribed to Columbia House that year and I ordered Nevermind by Nirvana and Last Splash by the Breeders. So basically I was emerging myself into 95alternative rock. It was all fresh and new to me though and i never felt more excited before about music. The following year, my appreciate for Nirvana intensified and I was listening to them more than anything. I had also grew a fascination for buying obscure stuff at HMV that i had never heard of like Infectious Grooves, FurnaceFace and others. In grade 9, I saw that a band called Pavement was coming to town. I dont know what posessed me to want to go, I had never heard of them. I bought a ticket none the less and a few days before the show, I bought brighten the corners. This album for me was an epiphany. The first time I listened to it, i kept thinking, "this is what the music i have been imagining sounds like"... So anyways, I started researching them and i discovered Sebadoh, Dinosaur Jr, Eric's trip and so on. About 3 years ago I read something about this great thing Elephant 6. I downloaded an Mp3 called Elephant 6-Seems So.mp3. I thought it was a band so i would go to stores looking for Elephant 6 but really it was the apples in stereo of course. I gave up on finding E6 and then of montreal was coming to montreal so i picked up one of their albums. I loved it, freaked out etc etc etc listened to every E6 band etc etc etc fuck y ou

dolemites_sister
10-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Hmmm.. My first e6 song was the King of Carrot Flowers...

I was hooked... I was in love.. Then I bought OTC Dusk from Cubist Castle. Then I was even more in love.

j

typewriters
10-02-2003, 01:24 PM
me: everything disappears by of montreal

acrobat
10-03-2003, 09:46 AM
best opening song on an E6 record? That's easy.

Dressy Bessy--"I Found Out" from Pink Hearts Yellow Moons.

no contest.

typewriters
10-03-2003, 10:29 AM
i still think the opera house on dusk.

dolemites_sister
10-03-2003, 01:48 PM
I would have to agree with Half-Handed.... Old Familiar Way is a great song to open with!!!!

opopopo
10-04-2003, 08:17 AM
i still think 'penelope' was the perfect first e6 song, though it was so amazing that it almost killed me...