PDA

View Full Version : where can i find the following records...

typewriters
09-22-2003, 01:11 PM
im just looking for:

olivia tremor control/black swan network 12"
olivia tremor control - dusk at... 12"

i know i somehow got lucky and stumbled across a UK sight which sold me black foliage/jumping fences/hideaway/opera house all on vinyl. does anyone else know a secret place i can get these?

nervesandgel
09-22-2003, 02:17 PM
honestly good luck

ebay will be your best bet, dusk shows up every so often, but you may pay quite a bit (i've seen it go between $35 and over $100),

as far as black swan network, i've seen it listed a couple times just under black swan network and not olivia tremor control so you may want to run searches on that.

other than that if your ever out of town check small record stores thats where i found black foilage.

good luck, just to keep you anticipated they both sound amazing on vinyl

nervesandgel
09-22-2003, 02:22 PM
i know it's costly but when they reissue the cds are there any chance of vinyl reissues too?

and also i talked to will when the circulatory system played in denver back in december, and he said a certain lable (i'm not sure if i should say the name or not, but i do really like the lable) was going to or might release the circulatory system album on vinyl. I"m not sure if he was talking about the self titled or if they're waiting for the new one to be complete.

grimble gromble
09-22-2003, 04:20 PM
just curious... but what is the big attraction to vinyl? i have never listened to a vinyl record... should i?

typewriters
09-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by grimble gromble
just curious... but what is the big attraction to vinyl? i have never listened to a vinyl record... should i?
some people might say vinyl sounds better, really the quality isn't as good, but you start to notice different things about albums when played on vinyl. my record player picks up some things on my records that my cd player doesn't. part of the big attraction to it is the whole scenester-type limitability of some records. you know "i have this record no one else does its limited to 50 copies (ie...everything is 7")". also, there is so much more you can do to vinyl you cant to cd (or isn't as cool). odd sized records (5"-13"), shaped records, color records, one sided records, picture discs, etc. it just adds a more personal touch. personally vinyl is an addiction for me. i waste all my paycheck on viynl...so maybe its for the best you dont have any (it gets pretty spendy if you want oop stuff)

nervesandgel
09-23-2003, 12:39 AM
+ side of vinyl

i have a pretty nice turntable and a decent stereo and it just sounds so much better than cds, its deeper and it doesn't sound so compressed. the sounds spread out through my room more. i feel a lot more immersed

also if the bands really think about the order of songs sometimes each side has a paticular meaning

i really love on black foilage how the first side ends with the xylophones fading out, then you flip over the record and the second side starts with a new day (a completely different mood), and the third side sounds like the record has trouble starting.

bigger artwork

harder for people to steal

- side
a lot harder to take care of than cds, but if you really like you're music than taking care of it is no big deal, i personally like cleaning my records

records wear out over time

records can warp or melt
(i just got a record in the mail that was all warped)

you can get bad pressing
i just bought the reissue of "united states of america and theres a couple bad spots"

------------
honestly if you don't have a good record player i wouldn't bother, but if you're willing to put in a little money than music becomes a different experience (i'll add in my opinion, but i don't think i'm the only one since vinyl is still around)
--------------

channelfan
09-23-2003, 01:04 AM
vinyl sounds better, smells better, tastes better, feels better, looks better.

i'm in the market for a better turntable myself, any recommendations?

henrikhhh
09-23-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by typewriters
"i have this record no one else does its limited to 50 copies (ie...everything is 7")"

i got that too, i got that too :P

typewriters
09-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by henrikhhh

"i have this record no one else does its limited to 50 copies (ie...everything is 7")"

i got that too, i got that too :P

haha. i was just quoting a non-existant quote from a non existant scenester. but i totally wish i had it. they have 2 copies on gemm for $42

William
09-23-2003, 01:27 PM
I all most bought the limited edition hand-xeroxed Everything Is 7" on eBay for about 45 bucks...I didn't though. I have only ever bought one vinyl though (IAOTS) and I only bought it so I could frame it up in my room.

henrikhhh
09-23-2003, 01:51 PM
haha. i was just quoting a non-existant quote from a non existant scenester. but i totally wish i had it. they have 2 copies on gemm for $42

yeah, but that's the not-so-limited one, also on cher doll, and released at the same time as the one that's limited to only 50. they look completely different..

Originally posted by William
I all most bought the limited edition hand-xeroxed Everything Is 7" on eBay for about 45 bucks...I didn't though. I have only ever bought one vinyl though (IAOTS) and I only bought it so I could frame it up in my room.

yeah, it was on ebay a while ago. you couldn't have got it for $45 though, because it went up to $85(!) :P

[Edited on 9-23-2003 by henrikhhh]

kelly
09-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by nervesandgel
i know it's costly but when they reissue the cds are there any chance of vinyl reissues too?

i was just about to post that i didn't think they would re-press any vinyl and then Will walked in here and said he wants to do it. it would probably be a pretty small pressing though. we'll see...

and also i talked to will when the circulatory system played in denver back in december, and he said a certain lable (i'm not sure if i should say the name or not, but i do really like the lable) was going to or might release the circulatory system album on vinyl. I"m not sure if he was talking about the self titled or if they're waiting for the new one to be complete.

i know what you're refering to... actually that plan has been scrapped but Cloud Recordings will be releasing the 1st Circulatory System album on vinyl probably in the spring of 2004. (180 gram double LP in gatefold sleeve!) :)

typewriters
09-23-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by kelly

i was just about to post that i didn't think they would re-press any vinyl and then Will walked in here and said he wants to do it. it would probably be a pretty small pressing though. we'll see...

i know what you're refering to... actually that plan has been scrapped but Cloud Recordings will be releasing the 1st Circulatory System album on vinyl probably in the spring of 2004. (180 gram double LP in gatefold sleeve!) :)
man. hook me up with some of that shit!

nervesandgel
09-23-2003, 04:21 PM
woo hoo! i'm really excited about that.

perfectbrokenmirror
09-25-2003, 07:27 PM
my friend got me addicted to vinyl. there is seriously something about it. It just sounds more...well I just feel like there are waves of softly lapping waves coming out of my speakers to carry me away into a place that only Baudlaire probably comprehended.

I also find that I get to know the music better because when I get lazy I just start listening to one side over and over. The flow is just so beautiful. It makes you want to keep listening to it over and over.

I don't have that great of a turntable but it does for now. I got it at radioshack, fully automatic for 99$.

c.s.

nervesandgel
09-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by perfectbrokenmirror
my friend got me addicted to vinyl. there is seriously something about it. It just sounds more...well I just feel like there are waves of softly lapping waves coming out of my speakers to carry me away into a place that only Baudlaire probably comprehended.

I also find that I get to know the music better because when I get lazy I just start listening to one side over and over. The flow is just so beautiful. It makes you want to keep listening to it over and over.

I don't have that great of a turntable but it does for now. I got it at radioshack, fully automatic for 99$.

c.s.

you're explantion is beautiful, and actually you have a pretty decent turntable. my friend has one of those and i think it sounds great. doesn't it also automatically find the beginning of the record if you hit a button? convient :)

thelatebphelium
09-25-2003, 08:56 PM
very quickly...

gemm.com probably has copies of the OTC stuff on vinyl.
not cheap most liklely.
ahh.. $23.50 for Black Foliage sealed.
add shipping from Europe. ;)

[Edited on 9-26-2003 by thelatebphelium]

typewriters
09-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by thelatebphelium
very quickly...

gemm.com probably has copies of the OTC stuff on vinyl.
not cheap most liklely.
ahh.. $23.50 for Black Foliage sealed.
add shipping from Europe. ;)

[Edited on 9-26-2003 by thelatebphelium]
thanks! i've already hit up gemm i got my OTC/apples 7" there...$30!!!
i actually got my black foliage LP from opalmusic for pretty cheap $15 + uk shipping. where can i get your 7" that was on HHBTM? i really like the split w/ of montreal

hastycolours
09-25-2003, 11:11 PM
lots of people are into having vinyl for the extra specialness to it in rarity and all that. that's not what im into, the sound, its interesting that there's actually music on there, not a digital surface with information that has music being read from data.

I do know a LARGE reason people loved vinyl so much was older record players you could, to the smallest degree, affect the speed on the record you are listening to. which is the advantage to cassettes, since tape players play everything at different fucking speeds, and some cds just sound too digital for what you're listening to.

nervesandgel
09-26-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by hastycolours
lots of people are into having vinyl for the extra specialness to it in rarity and all that. that's not what im into, the sound, its interesting that there's actually music on there, not a digital surface with information that has music being read from data.

I do know a LARGE reason people loved vinyl so much was older record players you could, to the smallest degree, affect the speed on the record you are listening to. which is the advantage to cassettes, since tape players play everything at different fucking speeds, and some cds just sound too digital for what you're listening to.

yes, my record player has the speed control, which confuses the hell out of me sometimes, but other times works wonders

typewriters
09-26-2003, 07:57 AM
hahaha good ol' 16 speed.
what the hell is 16 rpms ever used for?

hastycolours
09-27-2003, 12:53 AM
i got black foliage vinyl from ebay for fifteen dollars. lucky score i guess. the great things about records is (yes, big thing, no one STEALS THEM) is they promote listening to albums as a whole. thats one of my favourite things about them. i love that. no quicky jump around song switching and stuff. okay flow yep

typewriters
09-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by hastycolours
i got black foliage vinyl from ebay for fifteen dollars. lucky score i guess. the great things about records is (yes, big thing, no one STEALS THEM) is they promote listening to albums as a whole. thats one of my favourite things about them. i love that. no quicky jump around song switching and stuff. okay flow yep
holy cow. $15 from ebay? how long ago did you get it? seems like everything E6 has been going for alot on ebay lately. i might wait for the hype to die down.

hastycolours
09-28-2003, 12:28 AM
yeah i know. CRAZY. like i said, just got lucky i guess all the right people weren't looking at the wrong time. (?) it wasn't tooo recently, but still at the same time that the holland and everything is seven inches were goign for astronomical prices

i had always planned on getting one of those, and my strategy was "well, eventually, everyone that wants the damn things so bad will end up getting their copy, then its my turn to get it for cheap"
ahaha

perfectbrokenmirror
09-29-2003, 05:25 AM
you're explantion is beautiful, and actually you have a pretty decent turntable. my friend has one of those and i think it sounds great. doesn't it also automatically find the beginning of the record if you hit a button? convient :)

actually it does. I like the sound and I don't plan on getting a new one for a long time. i'm glad to know that I didn't get a horrible turntable;)

c.s.

channelfan
09-30-2003, 12:05 AM
there is some olivia vinyl on ebay now, jumping fences, black swan vs otc (2 of them), dusk, and california demise.

typewriters
09-30-2003, 07:39 AM
haha bidding on most of em.

henrikhhh
09-30-2003, 01:51 PM

yeah. i can see that, damn you ;)
i wanted that music tapes lp :P

typewriters
09-30-2003, 03:32 PM

yeah. i can see that, damn you ;)
i wanted that music tapes lp :P
BWAHAHAHA!!!
THE MUSIC TAPES LP IS MINEEEE!!!!
...you can still get the music tapes LP from www.pennyblackmusic.com it costs $18 though and its from the UK so shipping is high. PLUS its on special order status, you can only order it end of the month/beginning of the month.

henrikhhh
10-01-2003, 02:46 AM
yer not getting the everything is 7" though!!! ;)

typewriters
10-01-2003, 07:58 AM
yer not getting the everything is 7" though!!! ;) haha...or the california demise 7" or the dusk 2xLP. anything over $50 is too rich for my blood. i only have $19 to my name right now. payday tomorrow!!!

what i did win:
music tapes LP
otc vs bsn LP
otc - hideaway 12"

that seems enough. who this motherfucker who keeps outbidding me on everything?

henrikhhh
10-01-2003, 02:00 PM
who this motherfucker who keeps outbidding me on everything?

i outbid ya on the everything is, at least
the other ones i dont know

[Edited on 10-1-2003 by henrikhhh]

typewriters
10-01-2003, 02:55 PM

who this motherfucker who keeps outbidding me on everything?

i outbid ya on the everything is, at least
the other ones i dont know

[Edited on 10-1-2003 by henrikhhh]
yeah i didn't win. but i probably shouldn't even of tried im so broke now. aahhhhh