PDA

View Full Version : journalism class stinks.

opopopo
09-16-2003, 10:40 AM
im sitting in my journalism class right now- totally uninspired.

i have to write an editorial and a feature story... and im utterly braindead.

does anyone have any ideas of what i could write about? i know this is going to be an ongoing problem. i mean, its supposed to appeal to average highschool students... bleh. actually, i dont really care about appealing to all these highschool kids, i just need an idea... ANYTHING would help me right now.....

perfectbrokenmirror
09-16-2003, 06:18 PM
a good start - don't appeal to anyone but yourself.

don't think. start with whatever comes to your head.

i usually just put things aside for awhile...

hope your writer's block goes away.

c.s.

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
09-16-2003, 08:19 PM
I worked at the highschool newspaper until this (my final year). Sweet holy Jesus, were we a bunch of chronic slackers. It should have been 30 people doing the work of 15, but instead it was 5 unfortunates doing the work of the hypothetical 15.
I was the non-syndicated columnist. It's the best job; you don't need facts or even opinions. Just write whatever makes you happy. It helps if people laugh.
I wrote about the very special month/holiday of Rocktober (as was decreed by Hard Rock 98.7). It went a long way toward promoting awareness of an underappreciated, nonsecular holiday. For example; I just bet you had no idea that during "Rocktober", it is perfectly appropriate to replace other words that rhyme with "rock" with the actual word "rock." For example; "I walked to the store" becomes "I rocked too the store." Also appropriate is spelling "rock" "RAWK" for emphasis.

Wow, I haven't posted forever. Wow, I've been frequenting this board for almost three years. What a geek.

Aiwa Chikara
09-17-2003, 09:06 AM
Ha. Journalism sucks? Try my computer app. class. Not much actual teaching done by my instructor; mainly "Read this" and then some tests. Hoo rah.
That said, "Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!" is about the coolest screen name I've ever seen.

opopopo
09-17-2003, 12:02 PM
oh, its not that journalism sucks, it was just really really dull... it still sort of is, but now ive got a few ideas and some things to keep me busy. i think the main problem with my lack of inspiration was that i joined the class a week late, so a lot of interesting ideas were already taken...

my silly school has such a professional, in-depth newspaper, so i really cant just write a bunch of random drivel. thats what i did a few years ago for my jr high paper, and that was a blast.

im going to be co-incharge of writing about everything artsy going on in the school, which should be fun.

my buddy matt is doing a column on the schools few indie kids, and i get to be miss november. yay!

computer app. sounds dreadful.

ouch!, i was looking at the member list just yesterday, and i was wondering where you'd gotten to. post more! post post post!

anyhooo, im still open for any input and ideas!

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
09-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Ours was supposed to be "professional" too, I don't know how I got away with that crap.
Ms. November? Does this involve a picture in a swimsuit or a talent competition?
:P
I'm drawing a blank too, sorry. I have to start writing application essays for all sorts of junk anyway, if I had something really good I would probably selfishly keep it for essay material.

opopopo
09-19-2003, 11:23 AM
nono, i just get to be indie kid of the month for the november issue. so no saucy photography involved, unfortunatly.

oh, and im going to do some comics too. its going to be utter obsurdity.