PDA

View Full Version : Children's music

pepe
09-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Calling all Guards!!!
I am student teaching in a preschool this quarter of school. I am learning something perplexing. Children's music equals insanity. Now I always new that it was a little to simple and blahhh, but now that I am around it all the time I have been thinking about it a lot. Here's what I think:
The children's music industry needs music that not just benefits and is appealing to the child, but it also needs music that is appealing to the adults, because 1) an adult is almost always listening to it with the child 2) if the adult was as interested as the child you would have more of a comraderie affect on the relationship between the child and the adult 3) If the adult is stimulated they will hopefully also be inspired and firing at all pistons (pardon the expression) which will help them to think of more ideas and things to foster the child's growth.

So now Iam thinking I need to make a children's album, of course I do not know if I can do this, but it would be worth a shot. However if anyone who reads this knows a thing about children's music and might know about some musicians out there that they feel are making music similar to what I have just described I would love to hear about them. And I would promise to check them out, because frankly I am unispired by what I have heard so far. Luckily the children are an amazing source of inspiration, but I want more.

[Edited on 9-15-2003 by pepe]

nervesandgel
09-14-2003, 06:13 PM
listen to Bonnie Phillips, the album is called "i love you" (i think, i'll edit this when i get home if its something else)
its a rather disturbing album that is just filled with what seems to be songs about her L.S.D. trips and fried chicken.
My friend said she played at her elementary school when i played her the album.

i also have a christian album from the early 80's that is sung by a robot, and he makes all the kids happy. wierd stuff.

acutally i have a bunch of kids albums, i myself have thought about doing children's music one day, but i don't know if it would be for children or not. hmmmm

phil
09-15-2003, 02:09 PM
another excellent children's album is "no!" by they might be giants (click here (http://www.giantkid.net) for link). also, it's one of tmbg's better albums to boot! fun for the whole family. if you put it in your computer, there are some games too. the songs are really cool, and educational (well, some aren't really).

i highly recommend this cd!

muskogee
09-15-2003, 02:46 PM
hi,
i've done a couple of "children's albums". Leastways, they were intended for childrens. www.c-siderecords.com has a couple of tracks from one of them, carried on by the name of driftin' luke and his personalities. i wrote three stories called the "road to angelove" and each of them have music to go along with the story. all of this is to say, i agree that children's music is a solid route to go. but not many people probably agree. I tried to relay the idea of making a children's concept album to a record label, and i think they ignored it. so i'm puttin it out myself and with the help of friends. i havent' really tested it among a children's audience yet, but i look forward to doing that with my son. he seems to like good music. i'll admit that it may be a tough one to sell b/c its so lo-fi, but i tried to write the songs based on what i would like if i were still a kid. i always liked heroes and villains, and many of the beach boys and monkees songs when i was a kid, i think good songs are good songs whether your'e a kid or a grownup. i agree to start off, listen to "the point" by harry nillson, then try to find johnny cash's children's album put out in the 70's (farewell), and the apples in stereo "let's go" ep is always nice.

pepe
09-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Yes I have heard "The Point" I own it. I bought it because of a thread on the e6 forum sometime ago, but i hate to admit that i found it rather hoakey. Of course that is just my opinion, I know a lot of people hear like it. I also have heard the They Might be Giants album my girlfriend owns it and their are some nice songs that i would actually use in the classroom, but most of it I would not use.

Bonnie Phillips and acid trips? I guess i don't know how well that would go over in my school. And christian rock is not something I am about to teach, unless it is not christian centered.

I will relisten to "The Point" I have only listened to it like 3-4 times, it deserves a few more good listens.

Any other ideas in the meantime. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!!;););):P:o:mad::cool::):(:D;);););)

nervesandgel
09-15-2003, 08:21 PM
oh sorry, i wasn't reccomending those for your class, i was just pointing out how wierd childrens' music can be. i guess i got a little off topic, i don't really have any reccomendations at the moment but if i come across one i'll let you know

Freakboy
09-16-2003, 05:30 PM
i dunno man, "row, row, row, your boat" always gives me a kick!
then again i am a child...
try shoving Neutral Milk Hotel down their throats. They might be able to understand it.
I dunno why, but I've always felt like Jeff Mangum was one of the few people left on earth who seems to have the child in his heart still there.