PDA

View Full Version : Gorky's Zygotic Mynci

channelfan
09-13-2003, 12:01 AM
every once in a while someone brings up gorky's, but it seems they are a little underappreciated, not just around here, but just 'indie' music fans in general. what a career they've had! and a marvelous evolution! my personal favorite is also probably barafundle but gorky 5 is very close and the last couple have been really nice! can't wait to hear the new one, it's not out in the states till october.:(
oh and there is actually some elephant 6 connection, olivia tremor control played with them in the uk long ago, and will, bill and scott spillane all told me they loved them and had a blast, then we all began singing one of their songs and prancing around.:P

pepe
09-13-2003, 10:55 AM
Oh yes Gorky's. I just went and saw Essex Green last night and I was wearing my Gorky's T. I saw Jamey Huggins because he was drumming for the tour and we were talking abit and he mentioned the shirt and asked if I had seen them, I said I had and he then mentioned how jealous he was because he really likes them.
My favorite is Spanich Dance Music, the whimsy of Poodle Rockin brings me home every time.

perfectbrokenmirror
09-13-2003, 09:50 PM
I LOVE GORKY!!

i want a gorky shirt too.

the first album i heard was "how i long to feel...". for now it remains one of my top favorites along with barafundle and spanish dance troupe. i can't wait for their new album!

c.s.

Apple (in Stereo)
09-14-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by pepe
My favorite is Spanich Dance Music, the whimsy of Poodle Rockin brings me home every time.

Is'n it Spanish Dance Troupe?

Anyway; I'm waiting Barafundle anyime now. I got one album, and that's How I Long to Feel That Summer in My Heart.

perfectbrokenmirror
09-14-2003, 09:49 AM
yes it is called spanish dance troupe.

names are just words given to other words

c.s.

jared
09-14-2003, 10:48 AM
definately go see them-it's intense live-they played all the hits. a good mix of all the albums. you can buy a shirt there-i think my shirt was only like 10$. I can't wait for the new album.welsh welsh welsh.

perfectbrokenmirror
09-14-2003, 11:35 AM
i'm going to try to go to the Toronto show but with my luck it will be 19+

c.s.

pepe
09-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Spanish Dance Troupe it is, what a silly, absent mind I own. Anyways Grossdaddy(I always look at you rname and think it is grandaddy) as you now know they were not selling Sasha's album at the show (I was hoping for the same thing), but she told me it was now going to be released Oct. 1 she thought.
For all interested Gorky's is on tour in the states in October, soory if this has been mentioned already.
Carry on, Carry on.

I forgot to mention I saw that Gorky's/Apples show, but in Minneapolis HoOOOoowhaaaaaaahahahahah!

[Edited on 9-15-2003 by pepe]

perfectbrokenmirror
09-15-2003, 05:40 AM
I'm 100% sure that the show is 19+ in Toronto. Most of the shows are and it probably has to do with the fact that the legal drinking age is 19.

Hopefully they add some more dates or something. I went to the website but I'm not accepting it as the absolute truth. I still want some sliver of hope.

c.s.

dolemites_sister
09-19-2003, 02:55 AM
I tell you what.. No wonder I'm poor... You guys keep talking about these bands I never heard of, and then I go and check out their songs and wonder what the hell was wrong with me?

This stuff is great.. I'm tempted to go down for the show at the 40 watt just after hearing a few songs.. I definetly need to purchase this.. What should I get first?
j

dolemites_sister
09-20-2003, 01:49 PM
hehe.. no big deal.. of course no record stores in my town carry any Gorky's... I'm gonna have to order it...

I don't think I'll be able to make it to Athens for that show unfortunately..
j

Lizardboy
09-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Yeah, Gorky's are great, and are even better live. They always play a good selection of music, so even if you get an early one they'll still probably play a few songs off it if you see their show.

My recommendations are Bwyd Time (you're very unlikely to pick this up any more), Barafundle and Spanish Dance troupe.

The new one has about 5 or 6 amazing songs on it, and the rest is a bit disappointing. Think they're one of those bands who should do half as many albums, and each of those would be perfect.

channelfan
09-23-2003, 12:53 AM
every time i put on their first album 'patio' i just can't believe how imaginative and talented these kids were, i mean wasn't euros like 15 or something?

channelfan
09-24-2003, 09:44 PM
i think i have all the long-players:
patio (cd-r)
tatay
bwyd time
introducing
barafundle
gorky 5
sdt
how i long...
blue trees

gross daddy you need to get gorky 5 if you like barafundle, it's just as good in my book. took me along time to find it cause the label, fontana, folded shortly after it's release. i also have some ep's:

pentref wrth y mor
llanfwrog
ambler gambler
diamond dew

and also a cd-r of the 2000 john peel session.

anyway, still waiting on the us release date of the new one, oct 7.