PDA

View Full Version : Trout Mask Replica

nice man washing
09-09-2003, 07:30 AM
Completely random new topic, yes - but damn Trout Mask Replica is an amazing record. Anyone else dig it?

And any ideas of how to get hold of Lick My Decals Off, Baby on CD?

raydavies02
09-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Ah yes......the captain.....

I absolutely love Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band. My favorite album is "Doc at the Radar Station" followed closely behind by "Safe as Milk", "Trout Mask Replica" and "Lick My Decals off, baby".

I found an original pressing of "decals" at an antique store near my hometown....it was slightly scratched, but it was a definite find of a lifetime.....

You can get an import cd of "decals" off of ebay.......

As for "trout mask replica", my favorite song is "the blimp"......

Long Live The Captain!

nice man washing
09-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Alright! I've only got Trout Mask Replica, which is my favourite, and the two-albums-on-one-CD set of Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot, which is patchy. What's Doc at the Radar Station like compared to Trout Mask?

Thanks for the Decals tip - I'll check out eBay.

Saw The Magic Band at All Tomorrow's Parties this spring, and they were damn amazing.

raydavies02
09-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by nice man washing
Alright! I've only got Trout Mask Replica, which is my favourite, and the two-albums-on-one-CD set of Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot, which is patchy. What's Doc at the Radar Station like compared to Trout Mask?

Thanks for the Decals tip - I'll check out eBay.

Saw The Magic Band at All Tomorrow's Parties this spring, and they were damn amazing.

"Doc" is very representative of the artistic renaissance that Mr. Van Vliet was expereincing during the late 70's and early 80's. His Magic Band during this period is a spunkier group that his 60's lineup......they rock harder than any other lineup of the magic band......

i would suggest that you go to cdnow.com and listen to some 30 second clips from his later albums ("bat chain puller", "doc", and "ice cream for crow). Then you can experience it for yourself.....

i would also suggest that you go to www.beefheart.com (you will find a wealth of knowledge on the captain on this site)

[Edited on 9-9-2003 by raydavies02]

[Edited on 9-9-2003 by raydavies02]

raydavies02
09-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Actually, a very very good introduction to Captain Beefheart is "The Dust Blows Forward" 2 disc set that Rhino put out about 2 or 3 years ago.......it is indeed THE comprehensive collection of Beefheart material

sir_rockaby
09-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Ah Trout Mask Replica....I remember been about 15(I can't believe its been 10 years already) and always picking it up whenever I went into the record store, debating whether to buy it or not. I had no idea what it would sound like or who the Captain was but I loved the cover. Then one day I had a bit of cash spare, took the plunge and bought it. To say it totally blew my mind is an understatement. It was like stepping into a whole other universe and it changed my entire outlook on what pop music could be. If theres anyone reading this that hasn't heard Trout Mask Replica or any Beefheart music I urge you to give him a try.

I'm officially jealous.:) I've been tempted to buy 'Back To The Front' but I've a feeling I'll listen to it and just want to slap the originals into the CD player instead.

a post in the OTC forum in which a member mentioned Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band as one of his favorite

I think that might have been me and I'm so happy that (a)you actually read my post and (b)that you followed it up and bought a Beefheart album. You've made my day!

[Edited on 9-10-2003 by sir_rockaby]

raydavies02
09-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by sir_rockaby I've been tempted to buy 'Back To The Front' but I've a feeling I'll listen to it and just want to slap the originals into the CD player instead.

I work for my local college radio station and I reviewed the album for the station......it's an ok album, but the originals are (of course) much better

[Edited on 9-10-2003 by raydavies02]