PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Belle and Sebastian release to date

perfectbrokenmirror
09-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Since their new album is coming out in about a month, I thought it would be neat to find out what everyones favorite b&s release is so far.

c.s.

opopopo
09-01-2003, 10:47 AM
sinister is the only one ive got... id love to hear what everyone thinks of the rest!

opopopo
09-01-2003, 10:49 AM
very off topic:

WOO! 200 POSTS YEAH!

you too, sarahe! go 200 posters, yeah!

heh, youre almost where you were on the old board!

i eat a brownie in your honor.

William
09-01-2003, 12:32 PM
I only have If You're Feeling Sinister...I might get the Boy with the Arab Strap soon though.

perfectbrokenmirror
09-01-2003, 01:01 PM
hahaha almost

sinister was the first b&s album that I ever listened to. even though I greatly enjoy the boy with the arab strap and fold your hands..., sinister just...I guess it makes me realize why I love b&s.

c.s.

henrikhhh
09-01-2003, 03:58 PM
Tiger, Tiger, Tigermilk!!

friend
09-01-2003, 09:19 PM
tigermilk

nice man washing
09-02-2003, 12:47 AM
I so, so wanted to like B&S after I read about them. I heard a John Peel session, which was nice. I bought 3, 6, 9 seconds of light, which I love. And then everything else I heard after that was a crushing disappointment. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to be wearing corduroy to like this stuff? It cloys on me, it really does. And yet I so want to like them . . .

dolemites_sister
09-02-2003, 02:32 AM
My husband is like that.. He likes If Your Feeling Sinister, but the rest he can do without..

As for me, I love them.. I'm actually not that fond of Tigermilk. Its really the only one that I don't listen to very often. If Your Feeling Sinister is my favorite, but Johnathan and David is a good single, and The Boy with the Arab Strap is mighty good.. Fold Your Hands Child has some really awesome stuff of their too...

Freek
09-04-2003, 02:30 PM
indeed my fav B&S release is not there: the Jonathan david single. What a great titletrack!

perfectbrokenmirror
09-04-2003, 02:48 PM
ooops we could add it

c.s.

...or not..not possible to edit polls. sorry.

[Edited on 4-9-03 by perfectbrokenmirror]

Lizardboy
09-04-2003, 05:36 PM
To my mind, everything since The boy With The arab strap has been very ordinary.

If You're Feeling Sinister is the album which sounds most like what I feel Belle and Sebastian should sound like, and Tigermilk has some great songs.

But I went for Modern Rock Song. The first and last tracks are just complete hands-down stormers

Xhris

nice man washing
09-05-2003, 02:50 AM
Half-Handed - I would try and convince you that Yo La Tengo are one of the best bands in the world, but you're clearly not into them. That's fine. What have you heard?

perfectbrokenmirror
09-05-2003, 06:13 AM
I like "and then nothing turned itself out" better than "I can hear the heart beating as one".

c.s.

raf
09-06-2003, 05:00 PM
you guys need to hear the new belle and sebastian album. i wasn't even into them anymore but i heard the new album today and it's so great

dolemites_sister
09-07-2003, 03:50 AM
Which new one?

Did you hear a sneak preview of the one not released yet or are you talking about something else?

I would also have to say that Jonathan and David is one of my favorite B&S releases. Its such a tease though, being only 3 songs long and all..

perfectbrokenmirror
09-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Their new album. You can download it on soulseek.

c.s.

henrikhhh
09-07-2003, 02:54 PM
first time listening to it, i didn't like the new album at all
perhaps it will grow on me, perhaps it wont
i still love Tigermilk, though

friend
09-07-2003, 09:16 PM
i can't believe that only one other person picked tigermilk, i think it's so freakin' good! :)

nice man washing
09-08-2003, 02:46 AM
Half-Handed - this is a review of Yo La Tengo's best record:

http://www.fuzzlogic.com/lunakafe/moon72/usnj72.php?ads=

It's different to their others, and even though I still love most of their releases, this is just so damn good. Again, I'm not pretending I can talk you round, I'm just throwing a voice out there . . .

raydavies02
09-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Freek
indeed my fav B&S release is not there: the Jonathan david single. What a great titletrack!

exactly! it's my favorite B&S song of all time.......shame on you for leaving it out!

:P

perfectbrokenmirror
09-08-2003, 12:39 PM
"I'm sorry", she says as she cowers in the corner. Her hands spread over her face, shielding, deflecting, the fingers and the stares.

c.s.

henrikhhh
09-08-2003, 02:34 PM
i like the new album a little more now, after listening to it another time
still no Tigermilk though :P

dolemites_sister
09-08-2003, 04:19 PM
I'm weird about listening to new releases until they are officially released.. Call me old fashioned.. :)

But its good to know that everyone likes it so much..

Figglyduff
01-27-2006, 01:34 PM
If Your Feeling Sinsiter is my favourite. I haven't heard the new one yet though, I hope its good.

gavsygoo
01-27-2006, 02:24 PM
i feel "Fold Your Hands..." is grossly underrated. anyone else?

magneticrollerskater
01-30-2006, 05:52 AM
im no "belle and hitpster" fan but i sort of thought boy with the arab strap was ok but questionable

tackledspoon
01-30-2006, 10:39 AM
I really can't choose. I've listened to most of their records dozens of times. "If You're Feeling Sinister" will always have the most nostalgia and some of the best songs, but it's still difficult to say.

As for Yo La Tengo- While "I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One" is technically their masterpiece, it's not a great starting point. I'd reccomend starting with "Painful" or "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out". After that, it becomes much easier to apperciate "I Can Hear..." Personally, I also love their earlier work, like the brilliant and often overlooked "Fakebook".

ladylamentingonalawnchair
02-01-2006, 11:53 AM
I can't believe you revived a three year old post. How confusing. I thought perfectbrokenmirror had started posting again.

Figglyduff
02-06-2006, 10:30 AM
So have people got the new one yet? I've listened to it a few times now, there's a lot of places where it doesn't sound like them but there's a few songs so far that I really like. I think its one that'll have to spend some time with to allow it to grow on me. I liked Dear Catastrophe Waitress right away, its weird the way that happens.

clouds-chan
02-07-2006, 07:07 AM
I went with sinister, although (please don't beat me up) my second favorite is dear catastrophe waitress... which isn't on there.

As for the new album, half the songs are good, half not.

Figglyduff
02-07-2006, 08:32 AM
I won't beat you, I really love Dear Catastrophe Waitress too, in fact I'd say its also my favourite after if Youre Feeling Sinister (damn they should do shorter titles...)

I'm curious about the relevance of seven in your sig/ mood/ location? :)

tackledspoon
02-07-2006, 10:25 AM
I love Dear Catastrophe Waitress. I really never understood how someone who liked their earlier work could hate it so much.
The Life Pursuit is definitely growing on me with each subsequent listen. I was very impressed at first, but now I'm getting a bit addicted.

gavsygoo
02-07-2006, 07:23 PM
just got the new release: The Life Pursuit. intial listenings have proven pleasant, but nothing's really grabbing me. Suki in the Cemetary is sticking in my mind. frankly, it's somewhat overshadowed by my recent introduction to Deerhoof's "The Runners Four" and "Green Cosmos EP" both fine and fun and funky. just love their sound. um, and i'm really interested to hear from people who may have heard BALLAD OF THE BROKEN SEAS by ISOBEL CAMPBELL. capping for the sake of attention. i'm wordy. but, i really do want to hear some opinions. i wasn't nuts about Amorino, but i love the Gentle Waves!

tackledspoon
02-08-2006, 10:18 AM
^ I've listened to it six or so times since yesterday morning and I can officially say that "White Collar Boy" is the first track off "The Life Pursuit" to get stuck in my head. Ahhh I'm loving this.

Figglyduff
02-08-2006, 01:35 PM
I like White Collar Boy too, I just like the variety of the vocals in that song, but I can see it as the kind of song you either love or hate. I like track 2 too now, after a few listens. There's one that I don't like at all, but I can't remember which one it is now, somewhere later on in the album.

I haven't heard Ballad of Broken Seas I'm afraid, Gavsygoo.

Well I'm looking forward to seeing B&S this week, every time I've wanted to go before it's always sold out before I got tickets.

[Edited on 2-8-2006 by Figglyduff]

gavsygoo
02-08-2006, 06:33 PM
i'm finding "Dressed Up In You" addictive.

Figglyduff
02-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey Gavsygoo is your signature from Firefly/ Serenity (don't remember which one, but its really familiar!)? :D

clouds-chan
02-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by gavsygoo

that's funny, that and sukie in the graveyard are my least favorites

tackledspoon
02-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by gavsygoo
I love that song. I accidentally played it on the radio yesterday, complete with "fuck them". OOPS! I thought he was saying forget them... eesh.

opopopo
02-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Half-Handed
This thread takes me back - who else remembers perfectbrokenmirror? I wonder what became of her.

Yes, perfectbrokenmirror/InRouge was such a completely lovely girl. I bet she's off doing wonderful things and ignoring the daftness of the internet.

It's kind of embarassing to have these old threads dug up. I can't believe I've stuck around here so long.

Figglyduff
02-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Ah you guys, I was going to revive the threads which were titled things like 'Hi Opopopo' and 'Half-Handed' just because its funny ;) But I didn't want to do too many in case they got annoying, maybe next time, eh? You two and Freakboy are everywhere if you look at the beginning of the board!

gavsygoo
02-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Figglyduff
Hey Gavsygoo is your signature from Firefly/ Serenity (don't remember which one, but its really familiar!)? :D

yes, Serenity... it is a hard to hear line, but it's Zoe's and i loooove it. the whole "grenade joke" threaded throughout that movie is an awesome bit, with a fan-friggin-tastic payoff. buy it today!

Figglyduff
02-09-2006, 12:32 PM
My sister has it already :D I have the TV series though, I love it!! I wish it was never cancelled, the fools!!! I was kind of annoyed that we never got to find out the Shepherd's story, then they killed him off in the film so I guess we never will!

thebarrowboy
02-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I'll chime in with the Firefly/Serenity love. I blind bought the series and loved it and then blind bought the movie and loved it as well. Excellent stuff.

As for B and S, I'm not sure which one is my favorite, but I'm really liking the new album so far. It's a bit different, but that's a good thing.

gavsygoo
02-12-2006, 12:50 PM
should we create a serenity/firefly thread to honor our love? i saw an early screening the beginning of this past summer in Boston.. then i saw another one here in Chicago... then, i saw it 5 more times.. i was a huge fan of the show since the day The Train Job aired on Fox that fateful friday evening. i was already in love with buffy and angel, so i knew i could trust Joss Whedon to not waste my time. from now until he dies i will follow him wherever he wants to take me. he is an incredible storyteller. he is so completely aware of every aspect of creating a great story. a truly unique guy.

"i swallowed a bug."

Figglyduff
02-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, start one! :P

Stormx
02-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Where's the "push barman to open old wounds" option >.<

tackledspoon
02-12-2006, 06:23 PM
^ Don't you dare call a compilation your favorite release!
Also, this thread is over two years old.