PDA

View Full Version : is elephant 6 dead? (your opinion)

large marge
08-30-2003, 04:57 PM
well... what do you think? :)

opopopo
08-30-2003, 05:25 PM
no no no no no no no no no.
the elephant 6 is a place, a thought...
its the name of an animal and a number that represent an idea...
it was a period of time where a few bands with similar ideals created many beautiful things...

i think i have sunstroke, i hope that was coherant.

opopopo
08-30-2003, 08:55 PM
thinking about it, its a silly question to pose here... i mean, if we truly thought it was dead, why on earth would we share these little bits of our beings on this board?

bit whatev, even if it is dead, it's ghost shall haunt us forever.

large marge
08-31-2003, 06:35 AM
well, seeing that there are a couple votes saying yes, i think it's worth having a discussion. there have been some good points made for the "not dead" view. i'd like to see some explanations from the opposing view.

opopopo
08-31-2003, 01:07 PM
yes, where are those no voters? i would like to hear what theyve got to say!

opopopo
09-03-2003, 08:40 PM
yes, it is kind of a moot point, and its hard to argue over an abstractish idea anyway...

theoperahouse
07-20-2007, 02:01 AM
i feel it is time to resurrect this for the sake of its absurdity.

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Well I voted yes.

JoeJustJoe
07-20-2007, 09:51 AM
not just yet

funeralpudding
07-20-2007, 09:59 AM
The new Apples album sporting the E6 logo votes no.

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't think one album constitutes as being not dead. I don't think that same group of people will ever recapture the magic they had going for them in the late 90s. They can still put out cool albums and such. As a concept the collective is not dead, but the the collective known as elephant 6 really isn't a collective anymore, even if it was TWO albums with the e6 logo and a million guest musicians.

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Besides, I think most of the artists who were connected to it are trying to branch out anyway.

pgrube
07-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by funeralpudding
The new Apples album sporting the E6 logo votes no.

The quality of that album prompted my 'yes' vote.

pgrube
07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Jeremy Barnes is the only true e6-er left.

Edit: And he's not even under the lable anymore.

[Edited on 7-20-0707 by pgrube]

tomatoesandradiowires
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
I voted yes. As in, yes. E6 is just a little image to throw on the back of cds to get traditionalists and older fans pumped, I don't think there's much to the name anymore, past nostalgia and analyzing old albums. Hell, how many of these forums are dead? People post in the Of montreal, occasionally the apples and The neutral milk hotel forum.

Of course they post in Of montreal forum to talk about how they like older of montreal or worship cherry peel, and in the neutral milk hotel forum to post links to jeff's drawings on ebay. so, how active those forums are is debatable too.

Drake19
07-20-2007, 02:01 PM
E6 is alive. That community journal; that's E6 to me. Anytime someone is being creative and trying to connect with people through their art, and trying to be themselves and finding their way through experimentation in their art; that''s E6 to me. Maybe that's not what everyone in E6 had in mind, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind us TRYING to carry it on. It's an idea that just happened to be stamped on to the back of some really cool bands albums. An idea I think everyone can be a part of.

tomatoesandradiowires
07-20-2007, 02:04 PM
I suppose then the argument is not whether E6 is dead or alive but rather how do define the elephant 6 collective. As a label endorsing creative, original musicians, I believe it to be dead. As a spirit and establishment for musical discussion and involvement between fans and other artists, I suppose it is alive.

blaise
07-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by tomatoesandradiowires
I suppose then the argument is not whether E6 is dead or alive but rather how do define the elephant 6 collective. As a label endorsing creative, original musicians, I believe it to be dead. As a spirit and establishment for musical discussion and involvement between fans and other artists, I suppose it is alive.

And as a logo, it is awesome.

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Drake19
E6 is alive. That community journal; that's E6 to me. Anytime someone is being creative and trying to connect with people through their art, and trying to be themselves and finding their way through experimentation in their art; that''s E6 to me. Maybe that's not what everyone in E6 had in mind, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind us TRYING to carry it on. It's an idea that just happened to be stamped on to the back of some really cool bands albums. An idea I think everyone can be a part of.

I think your definition is very vague. Anytime people try to connect with people through their art? That's most of art.

Drake19
07-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by tomatoesandradiowires

Was it ever really a label? I mean in small DIY way I guess it was.
Now, if it did turn into a label, even a small indie, that would have been very very cool. But, as far as the bands always breaking up and forming new bands, how could you say it's dead. They're constantly forming new bands and just keep on elevolving. Would E6 be considered musically dead if NMH and OTC and some others surprised us with a new album or EP? Just because the band names change, I don't think it's really dead. Let's just say it has evolved.

Drake19
07-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Aqualad

I think your definition is very vague. Anytime people try to connect with people through their art? That's most of art.

That's basically my point. E6, for us fans and those who it inspires to create, is something that represents wanting to share and connect with people. So as long as people do that, especially on a small inventive DIY scale you can't say something like E6 is dead.

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 02:52 PM
see, you're just swapping the names around. you're calling a very general thing like DIY a sublevel of e6, when it was the opposite. Don't water down what it means to like e6, please.

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 02:54 PM
and things like e6 can break up even if some of the bands are still around.

horseface
07-20-2007, 03:21 PM
if e6 is still around, it has evolved to the point where i don't recognize it. the original sound and aesthetic i associated w/ the e6 collective is not really being produced by anymore. even the og e6 artists for the most part have ditched the diy/lo-fi ish approach that i loved. to me, it's dead as a living, breathing creative collective.

[Edited on 7-20-0707 by horseface]

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah, most are opting for better mics and better equipment, which gets rid of a lot of that homely feel.

Drake19
07-20-2007, 03:28 PM
I have some questions for you Aqualad.
How does a collective break up? Do they abandon the collective completely? Do they break up when they no longer believe in whatever it was that brought them together? Does it take just one person leaving to be considered broken up? I'm curios about what you think causes something like E6 to break up.

Second: What does it mean to like E6? Don't we all like E6 for our own reasons? Until someone writes out an E6 manifesto, I'm not sure anyone could really say what it means to like E6.

Drake19
07-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by horseface
if e6 is still around, it has evolved to the point where i don't recognize it. the original sound and aesthetic i associated w/ the e6 collective is not really being produced by anymore. even the og e6 artists for the most part have ditched the diy/lo-fi ish approach that i loved.

I too wish they would have stuck to the lo-fi sound.

[Edited on 7-20-0707 by Drake19]

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Stop flip-flopping. Just a second ago you weren't being objective at all. Also stop philosophizing such a simple concept.

a) the bands themselves spread out across the usa and are hardly a collective anymore. Many, like the essex green and their group, are in brooklyn trying to separate from that connection and the 60s. otc has broken up, nmh is all over. E6 wasn't ever a completely organized thing. It came together for a brief period which was really nice but then the people involved slipped back into their own functions. I feel like I'm trying to explain to a child...

b) you're an idiot.

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 03:37 PM
to elaborate point two, it sounds like you've got a bad sense of nostalgia blocking your view. And if you weren't into e6 in 98, it's false nostalgia.

Drake19
07-20-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry aqualad. I just don't think a collective breaks up because of distance. Not with all the technology that makes it possible to communicate with anyone around the world anytime, and also work together. That's why I asked what you thought.

Don't worry, I won't post about this subject anymore.

I just noticed your post. I didn't discover E6 until the beginning of this year.

[Edited on 7-20-0707 by Drake19]

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 04:35 PM
well while that is true the collective wasn't founded on any technology.

uncle eggma
07-20-2007, 06:05 PM
it's dead and kevin barnes killed it!

Aqualad
07-20-2007, 06:11 PM
he must pay!

pgrube
07-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Drake19
I'm sorry aqualad. I just don't think a collective breaks up because of distance. Not with all the technology that makes it possible to communicate with anyone around the world anytime, and also work together.

It takes a surprising amount of work to keep up relations with people even with technology. You'll find that out when all your friends start going to college.

the hurdy gurdy man
07-21-2007, 01:52 AM

And E6 is art. And art is not dead. Therefore, Elephant 6 is not dead.

although the collective is, more than likely. But the "idea", the art, is more important than the collective, more important than the people that made it special, even.

Somebody may have stated this already. I didn't bother reading the rest of the posts.

Aqualad
07-21-2007, 07:12 AM
I think the concept of a collective brought together isn't a dead idea. I just think the particular one we're talking about is.

Qza11
07-21-2007, 09:50 AM
i know that E6 will live
forever, E6 won't ever die
and E6 goes and now E6 knows it'll never
be afraid to watch the morning paper blow into a
hole where noone can escape

As long as I have the music, as long as Elf Power, Apples and the like keep touring, and as long as we keep typing, E6 will never die.

Aqualad
07-21-2007, 09:18 PM
like a reanimated corpse
like a puppet on its strings
like a zombie with no arms
e6 will struggle on

feeling_retro
07-21-2007, 09:33 PM
it's alive within me.

stompclapclap
07-21-2007, 09:39 PM
ZOMBIE E6!!!!

mezezezah
07-22-2007, 12:38 AM
I still live in the year 1997 so I voted no.

Aqualad
07-22-2007, 01:24 PM
welcome to the future

tomatoesandradiowires
07-24-2007, 04:54 AM
Old topic bumped sheds light on new topic growing stagnant!

Originally posted by finch
Written by Natalie Jane (not me):

I asked Robert how his collaboration with XTC's Andy Partridge was going. He said
he was "frustrated with the project," so I don't know where that's heading. I also asked him about the demise of Elephant 6, and he said, among other things, that the E6 aesthetic had passed into the mainstream of indie-rock and there was really no need for a collective anymore. "But that logo is really important to me," he added, and pulled up his sleeve to display a tattoo of the E6 logo.

Edit: This just came to the surface of the NMH board, It's from '03

[Edited on 7-24-0707 by tomatoesandradiowires]

Aqualad
07-24-2007, 06:27 AM
i remember reading part of that interview. I guess that settles it.

Aqualad
07-24-2007, 06:28 AM
err... not interview. he said something similar in an interview though.

mezezezah
07-24-2007, 11:57 AM
I decided to make a list of the E6 bands that I think are still going on, some of this may be wrong but it still seems that a lot of these bands have either reformed or are still going on.

Apples in Stereo, Circulatory System, Dressy Bessy, Elf Power, Essex Green, The Gerbils, High Water Marks, Marbles, The Minders, The Music Tapes, Von Hemmling, Sunshine Fix, ulysses(maybe), The American Revolution, Fablefactory, Great Lakes, The Instruments, The ladybug Transistor, The Late B.P. Helium, M Coast, and Of Montreal.

So I voted no, it's not dead.

Aqualad
07-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I can't really say all the parts equal a whole.

pgrube
07-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I can't really say all the parts equal a whole.

Well put.