PDA

View Full Version : re: singing saw players.

fiftyfivesongs
04-10-2003, 03:01 AM
So that last thread is gone and I didn't get to check to see if people had replied about what brand of saw they use.

do so here if you'd be so kind to.

oblio
04-10-2003, 04:59 AM
only my eyes saw

friend
04-10-2003, 06:56 AM
i saw you in new york when i was in the future, oblio.

oblio
04-10-2003, 07:17 AM
this jerk fiftyfivesongs is coming to new york too

friend
04-10-2003, 08:48 AM
good, we could use more jerks in new york!

fiftyfivesongs
04-10-2003, 12:35 PM
I can't believe I'm going to be in a car with
oblio for about 8 hours.

THE HORROR.

GET BENT OBLIO.

oblio
04-10-2003, 12:37 PM
8 hours?
the way i drive try 3

fiftyfivesongs
04-10-2003, 12:39 PM
I don't believe you.

but i'd like to talk about singing saws now.

oblio
04-10-2003, 12:53 PM
ID LIKE TO SAW OFF YOUR HEAD MOTHERFUCKER

pepe
04-10-2003, 02:12 PM
EEEOOOUCH!!!!

fiftyfivesongs
04-10-2003, 05:13 PM
you can be so mean oblio.

you don't even play the singing saw.

rich
04-11-2003, 04:35 PM
i use a 26" jackplus and a violin bow. for a time i used 30 "musical saw" made by a charlie blacksomthing and while it did have an increased range and sustain it was to long and unwieldy for me to control it effectively

channelfan
04-15-2003, 07:34 AM
i use a 'Mussehl and Westphal' tenor saw. i believe its 28". i have been very very satisfied with it. much better range and sustain than the stanley saw i was using. the special on this link is a good deal for any serious saw player, it even comes with a nice case!

http://classics.nu/

i thought there'd me more saw players here, but anyway, i was wondering if everyone is using bows exclusively. the deal above comes with a simple bow, dow rod and padded mallet, all of which work, but i still prefer the cello or violin bow.

hastycolours
05-02-2003, 12:09 AM
OOH! OOH! anyone who can share information about bow usage, should do just that. I got the mussel & westphal package and I have a 3/4 violin bow, and find that the bow that came with the saw works real well. i know about that charlie fella, and the way this saw is is much better, i would imagine, compared to one a few inches longer. but anyone know anything about using cello bows? ive heard things...

ladylamentingonalawnchair
05-02-2003, 10:29 AM
I've got a Charlie Blacklock 26" saw (I'm a small person) and it sounds real good. I've used a violin bow and a viola bow.

hastycolours
05-02-2003, 03:07 PM
viola bow? where s the little differences at? im oh so curious...

dolemites_sister
05-03-2003, 03:30 AM
I am not a saw player, but I was in band and orchestra..

A viola bow is slightly bigger than a violin bow (if I'm not mistaken)

The viola is a larger instrument.

rich
05-03-2003, 11:56 AM
i dont think the size of the bow makes much differance when playing a saw. ive tried bass, cello, and violin bows and they all seem to do about the same. i tend to prefer the violin bow as it is less cumbersome and is easier to apply an even amount of force to the entire length of the bow. unlike the longer cello or bass ones which ive found i have to hold in the center . ive read you can even use a meter stick and some dental floss and make a pretty fair saw bow so i dont think are a huge factor in the tone of the saw.

perfectbrokenmirror
05-03-2003, 12:03 PM
this has to be one of the coolest instruments. i have no clue how it works but it just looks fun. i don't quite understand how you play a saw and i guess that's what intrigues me so.

c.s.

hastycolours
05-03-2003, 10:32 PM
good point there rich. the bow that i have found works best is the "rope and wood" bow that came with the mussehl&westphal saw. having to hold a bow near the center would ruin the using of everything, considering the whole way of applying pressure, the tightness of the hair, etc. ive found that rozinning up the bow is halarious in nature because it makes such a matter at times. depends on how you want to play it really. if you want to play it soft or not and suchmore

yes, sarahe its an odd one. learning anything and the anatomy behind learning is always something that so mindbending to the brain and so neat. but yeah its a frustrating instrument to learn to play, but as any other, obviously, you just gain skill the more you do it. a beautiful sound i think. sounds pretty with piano, a tape came with the saw of piano and saw instrumentals. reeally neat stuff

Woodly
11-30-2011, 05:06 PM
I still stand by this.

Jason7382
12-01-2011, 08:08 AM
I will use a small children's bow for songs that will require any quick changing of notes since it gives me a lot of dexterity. Otherwise, I use a large cello bow since I like the weight of it against the saw.