PDA

View Full Version : Amp modeling/Effects pedals

JohnRHaupert
07-27-2005, 04:14 PM
I am going to be living in a drom next year and I still want to be able to record, but no amplified music is allowed. I was looking into multi-effect/amp modeling pedals and was wondering if anyone here has any of them. Do you recomend them or not? I am looking at the various Pods by Line 6.

bbegotka
07-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Personally, I would say that multi-effects pedals can never do the job that a carefully chosen collection would. For example, take the difference between a built-in wah and a Dunlop Cry Baby or a built-in fuzz and a Big Muff. There's no comparison. Also, multi-effect pedals include a lot of cheese. Speaking of cheese, I have an old DOD Tec4 (ha, ha) and it does the job for roughing stuff out (I can work out a good clean, distortion, trem., delay and flange), but if I wanted to seriously record them I would buy individual pedals. It's a matter of personal opinion. If you're just doing it for fun, get a multi-effect pedal and save yourself some time and money. If you're anal about sound and fairly serious about your recordings you might be better off buying things individually. But, as always, the choice is yours.

[Edited on 7-28-2005 by bbegotka]

JohnRHaupert
07-27-2005, 06:23 PM
How about the effects and modeling on the vox amps?

bbegotka
07-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Funny you should ask... We have two Vox amps in our band with the on board effects and pedals. The effects on these amps are very solid. I would highly recommend buying one. Our rigs consist of the amp and accompanying pedal with a Big Muff. You would probably be all set from there, unless you wanted to take things further...and that is always a possibility.

JohnRHaupert
07-27-2005, 11:03 PM
I think I am going to do that, but I am gonna wait ant test things out. I do already have a big muff, so I am set in that department! Hooray! What amps are the people in your band using? I think that Vox is pushing their AC30's at the moment, but they dont have all of the effects. I dont know much about guitar amps, as I am primarily a bass player, so I would love anyones help. Pros/Cons of each one? Thanks

[Edited on 7-28-2005 by JohnRHaupert]

bbegotka
07-28-2005, 06:32 AM
They've got the 60 watt Vox AD60VTX NeoDog 1x12 Combo. I think it runs around $850 or so. It's more than enough to play small clubs, and works well for recording as well. The AC30 is also a great amp. Vanderslice uses one. I think that the AD60VTX models the AC30, but don't quote me on that.