PDA

View Full Version : Danielson Famile

NoHarshChemicals
07-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Listen...has anyone ever heard of this guy. its pretty fun to listen to. tell me what you know about this crazy man.

NoHarshChemicals
07-19-2005, 09:46 AM
http://www.soundsfamilyre.com/soundsfamilyre/df/IMG/pic_brdan1_big.jpg

Stephanie
07-19-2005, 10:33 AM
He's really great!!! :D
I wish I could post my terrific pictures I took of him when we saw him in Cleveland. My favorite album is Compas Kids.

yayablahblah
07-19-2005, 11:08 AM
so very very good

auxiliaryoctopus
07-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Yeah, Danielson is great!

Not only is he on Sounds Familyre, but he started it. He's given artists such as Sujan Stevens, Half-Handed Cloud and Wovenhand their start, and almost always makes appearances on their albums (and vice-versa). He also usually records these other guys.

There's really nothing else like him. As an aesthetic visionary, he's amazing.

For his own music "Fetch the Compass Kids" is a great start, as is "Alpha/Omega" or his "Brother is to Son" under the Bro. Danielson name.

I think he's also coming out with two albums in the next year too.

hypecity
07-19-2005, 12:47 PM
http://www.blacktable.com/images/0412pics/jesus/28000.jpg

[Edited on 3-22-0606 by hypecity]

wingedfeetxc
07-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Anybody ever see the Danielson Famile perform live? Like, the whole family? It was possibly the oddest thing I've ever seen. They were an opening act at this festival I was at and I arrived just as they started their set. I hadn't planned on watching them but I saw 8 people on stage with a wide assortment of instruments, all wearing 1920's style nurse's uniforms singing about drangons and stuff fronted by this guy who looked to be about 20 and sang like Frank Black sucking on helium. I couldn't turn away; I couldn't tell if was all a joke or serrious. I don't think anybody at the festival really knew who they were but crowds just gathered as the played cause everybody was like "what the hell is this, is this a joke?!?" and they would stop to watch for a second and plan on leaving but they couldn't cause the music was so awesomly good. Anyways, long story short, the Danielson Famile is awesome.

hypecity
07-19-2005, 03:49 PM

TapeDeckGhost
07-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I love The Danielson Famile! My girlfriend brought back a couple albums from college and they blew me away. 'Tell Another Joke At The Ole' Choppin Block' is my favorite still.

NoHarshChemicals
07-19-2005, 09:14 PM
as a follow up all i have to say is...he dresses up as a freakin tree. that's wonderful.

typewriters
07-21-2005, 12:19 PM
good shit
too bad hes into god

hypecity
07-21-2005, 12:26 PM

auxiliaryoctopus
07-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by typewriters
good <b>****</b>
too bad hes into god

That's a pretty close minded thing to say.

Especially seeing as how music as we know it is based on people who were "into God"
(i.e. musical notation system and polyphony invented by monks, blues/jazz/rock based on Afro-Gaelic liturgical gospel, to name just a few ways)

Why would you discriminate music based on the performer's religious beliefs?
That's like me saying "I'm not going to eat this burrito 'cause the dude that made it is an agnostic."

[Edited on 7-21-2005 by auxiliaryoctopus]

someoddkid
07-21-2005, 01:57 PM
i concur

hypecity
07-21-2005, 01:58 PM

wingedfeetxc
07-21-2005, 04:52 PM
So then do you not like Jeff Mangum and NMH cause Jeff litterally shouts out that he loves Jesus Christ. If you read intereviews with Jeff you would know that he dislikes organized religion, but he says he means what he says in this song.

To dislike anybody or anything simply cause they believe in God is terribly closeminded and bigoted.

hypecity
07-21-2005, 06:17 PM

hypecity
07-21-2005, 06:17 PM

typewriters
07-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by auxiliaryoctopus

good <b>****</b>
too bad hes into god

That's a pretty close minded thing to say.

Especially seeing as how music as we know it is based on people who were "into God"
(i.e. musical notation system and polyphony invented by monks, blues/jazz/rock based on Afro-Gaelic liturgical gospel, to name just a few ways)

Why would you discriminate music based on the performer's religious beliefs?
That's like me saying "I'm not going to eat this burrito 'cause the dude that made it is an agnostic."

[Edited on 7-21-2005 by auxiliaryoctopus]

so its not alright to discriminate music based on lyrical content and what they stand for? its the same reason i dont listen to Skrewdriver and shit. im not saying danielson famile is bad because their religious beliefs, but i cant stand alot of their lyrics, and i have every right to. dont try to compare this to hating black people or anything like that. its total bullshit.

typewriters
07-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by spiritualdishwasher

good <b>****</b>
too bad hes into god

That's the equivalent of saying "Jazz is good, too bad all the musicians are black," you reverse bigot.

theres plenty of white jazz artists

auxiliaryoctopus
07-22-2005, 06:26 AM

so its not alright to discriminate music based on lyrical content and what they stand for? its the same reason i dont listen to Skrewdriver and <b>****</b>. im not saying danielson famile is bad because their religious beliefs, but i cant stand alot of their lyrics, and i have every right to. dont try to compare this to hating black people or anything like that. its total bullshit.

I didn't compare it to hating black people...

Certainly you're allowed to not like whatever you want
for whatever reason you want. I just happen to think it's
an ill-informed and immature reason.

I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons not to like
Danielson, I just think "too bad he's into God" is a
pretty ridiculous one. Frankly, it just smacks of 13 year
old rebellion.

But you go ahead and show him! Your lack of
approval will teach us all a valuable lesson about
how dumb it is to examine your beliefs in an honest
and sincere way through interesting art. Between
Sufjan, Half-Handed Cloud and that J.S. Bach upstart,
there's been too much of that going around lately
anyways!

typewriters
07-22-2005, 11:18 AM

good <b>****</b>
too bad hes into god

That's the equivalent of saying "Jazz is good, too bad all the musicians are black," you reverse bigot.

theres plenty of white jazz artists

Fantastic argument. Really, you've grasped and deflated my essential point. Bravo. I'm not saying that this is like hating black people, but the example is valid in that you're hating someone's music for the wrong reason.

But Skrewdriver's lyrics are offensive and blatantly exclusionary (in a word, anti-social), whereas Danielson Familie's are never preachy in the classic sense. The fact that you admit that it's good music but reject it because he's "into God," is a completely childish and narrow minded stance. Of course, in all of my dealings with you on this board you have proved yourself to be exactly that time and time again. Keep on truckin' you indie rock fascist.

For the record, I'm not even religious and your ignorance offends me.

give me a fucking break. his lyrics arent preachy? either way i like his music alot, dont like his lyrics alot. and ignorance is trying to compare my distate for christianity with racism. my point of view is believing in god is ignorant, childish, and a narrow minded stance. we have our differences. dont think youre better than other people because you have a tolerance for trite and horrible lyrics. fuck god and thats all there is to it

auxiliaryoctopus
07-22-2005, 11:52 AM
<b>****</b> god and thats all there is to it

Well, that's about all your argument amounted to to begin with, isn't it. Way to hold an intelligent discussion! You can't possibly be proud of what you've said on this thread.

Here's what it boils down to: you have a narrow-minded prejudice towards a certain religion, and thus can't appreciate the art that comes from people of that religion, even when you would otherwise like it, because of said prejudice.

Explain again how people who believe in God are "ignorant, childish and narrow-minded?" Go ahead and read over this thread again and see who fits that description. I'll wait...

Unbiased_Observer
07-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Oh man, you just blew my mind. The way you said "FUCK GOD AND THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT!!!" sent chills down my spine. You used a curse word and god's name in the same sentence. Revolutionary and all that.

Basically you just spit my argument back at me but changed my points to your points.

When the hell will you get it through your head? I'm not comparing this to racism, I'm comparing it to the idiocy of rejecting someone's music due to their race, or in your case their religious beliefs -- religious beliefs that don't hurt or exclude anyone. Auxiliaryoctopus had a good point when he said this smacked of 13 year old rebellion. People like you think they're being so contrarian with a stance like this, but really they're being just as rigid and close minded as the conservative blowhards they're railing against. It's safe and cowardly.

So, I have a tolerance for trite and horrible lyrics (despite the fact that I'm not even a big Danielson Famile fan)? Aren't you the guy who loves Os Mutantes? Why can't you just tune out Danielson Famile's lyrics like you tune out every damn Os Mutantes lyric?

[Edited on 7-22-2005 by spiritualdishwasher] [/quote]

I agree with spiritualdishwasher. Does this guy have a MacArthur grant? He's a genius.

Stephanie
07-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by spiritualdishwasherPeople like you think they're being so contrarian with a stance like this, but really they're being just as rigid and close minded as the conservative blowhards they're railing against. It's safe and cowardly.

Thank you.

Plastic_hero
07-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Geez, give him a break, what's wrong with disliking Danielson's lyrics because they are preachy? I think it's a valid point. I don't listen all that much to lyrics, so I'm not bothered about it, but I don't see what's wrong with disliking christianity? I guess people wouldn't mind someone disliking satanism, and yet christianty has killed vastly more lifes.