PDA

View Full Version : Deep thinking question for all music fans

bu-bu-bumm
07-27-2003, 11:50 PM
This last Friday I went to see a "dinosaur" rock and roll band who's hey-day was in the mid-to late 70's. While I've been around their music my whole life due to parental preference, I was fairly excited to go see said band, but not as excited to see them as I would for other bands that currently strike my fancy. To my surprise this band made the arena rock and they sounded great. The very well known 70's singer-songwriter-guitarest even busted out a couple of awesome solos. So I wondered as I watched, do we of the mainly underground/ indie liking persuasion snub more mainstream sounds without giving them a fair shake? I am admitadly a music snob as I would guess many who visit this board are. Let's be honest, we all like to do our best imitation of the guys from Hi-Fidelity from time to time. Anyway two questions: 1) Do we pass by some great music at times just because it get radioplay? 2) What is your guilty pleasure? What uncool band do you love but hate to admit. By the way if you want to know the dinosaur band I saw: In your DREAMS. You can ask but I'll only tell you LITTLE LIES. If you don't like it you can GO YOUR OWN WAY, but just like THE CHAIN, I'll never crack.

nervesandgel
07-28-2003, 01:35 AM
to me listening to the radio is like watching a wall, its boring. plus i hate commericials. i would never turn down a band because they were on the radio, but theres a good chance that if its on the radio its because its not abstract enough for my personal tastes.

(not so) guilty pleasures -

meatloaf (very entertaining)
linda ronstat
blue oyster cult
guns and roses
missy elliot

Freakboy
07-28-2003, 02:37 AM
i agree. most of the stuff on the radio is like "my life is dark and im bleeding and dying and raining and oh my i'm getting wet from all the rain and blood and about the dark thing i cant see thats why im bleeding" and crap like that. or else "look at the tits on my 4039284th hoe over there." and stuff, just doesn't capture my interest. If i ever heard good songs being played on the radio i'd listen to it!
im not ashamed of any of the bands i like but i am ashamed to label my prefered style of music as "indie" because people think its "emo" which makes them think i like bad music (then they turn on nelly)

Freek
07-28-2003, 02:57 AM
I hate almost anything that's in the charts, but I don't hate it because it's in there, I hate it cause I don't like the music. It's ridiculous to dislike something because it's in the charts when you liked it at first. I don't know about the charts in the usa, but in England some good songs are in the charts. especially in the mid nineties the charts were full of britpop. great times. I am a huge Prince fan and he made his best stuff while he was in the charts!

my guilty pleasures:
justin timberlake, macy gray, alanis morissette, marilyn manson.

dolemites_sister
07-28-2003, 02:59 AM
Guilty pleasures for me would be Neil Diamond, and I have also been known to listen to a little bit of the Fleetwood Mac. And I personally don't think that there is anything wrong with it! :)

William
07-28-2003, 10:25 AM
Sometimes when I'm looking at bands if they are on a Major Label I usually write them off and don't give them a chance...

I like some mainstream bands of course..mostly just old mainstream bands from the 60's and 70's that are acceptable...I like Radiohead, Nirvana, The Flaming Lips, The White Stripes, and some newer things too that are at least 85% mainstream...I don't know..

I'm not a music snob..I just don't get the same feel listening to Good Charolotte, and Staind as I do listening to Neutral Milk Hotel, and Yo La Tengo..(by the way I DON'T listen to Good Charolotte or Staind ):)

bu-bu-bumm
07-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Yeah good point- who are your guilty displeasures. I had the exact same Yo La Tengo experience. Another band I don't get: Bright Eyes (That'll get uner some skin), any of the "punk" rip offs. Who are some bands your "supposed to like, but just don't get it?

William
07-28-2003, 12:09 PM
Well, "I Can Feel The Heart Beating As One" was there transition to more droney things...Electr-O-Pura is shorter, I don't like it as much but if you think "I Can Feel The Heart Beating As One" is boring you would probably like it more...Just do NOT get "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out" because even I think its a bit boring and Yo La Tengo is one of my favorite bands.

My guilty displeaure is The Pixies...I probably haven't given them enough time or something, but I didn't think they were that great.

nervesandgel
07-28-2003, 02:39 PM
guilty dipleasures-
i never really got into yo la tango, so your not alone, and i can't freaking stand bright eyes.

but i'd have to say i don't really care for the beatles, and it may not be their music but i hate how everything musicaly relates back to them. thats so boring. it makes it really hard to enjoy their music

acrobat
07-28-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by William
Well, "I Can Feel The Heart Beating As One" was there transition to more droney things...Electr-O-Pura is shorter, I don't like it as much but if you think "I Can Feel The Heart Beating As One" is boring you would probably like it more...Just do NOT get "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out" because even I think its a bit boring and Yo La Tengo is one of my favorite bands.

My guilty displeaure is The Pixies...I probably haven't given them enough time or something, but I didn't think they were that great.

both YLT records are good, but I think Electr-o-pura is slightly better overall, and the songs make a bit of a better collection than I Can Hear.... I actually don't think I Can Hear... is that droney or subdued generally, it's only slightly less quiet than Electr-o-pura, but yeah Half-Handed, you may want to try the earler record (or other earler 90s stuff by them) if you thought ICHTHBAO was too boring.

I find most post-95 Pavement by and large to be a complete bore, however.

phil
07-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by bu-bu-bumm
Anyway two questions: 1) Do we pass by some great music at times just because it get radioplay? 2) What is your guilty pleasure? What uncool band do you love but hate to admit.

1) i may miss something because i don't listen to the radio (except for classical/n.p.r.), but i'm not against pop music. a friend of mine loaned me linkin park's newest and i really liked it.

2) i love to listen to m.c. hammer, and i'm not ashamed of it. and occasionally i'll put in a hanson cd.

represent.

-phil

jknight
08-01-2003, 01:42 PM
1. ah the radio, a music snobs devil. we try so hard to avoid, but it always seems to be there. like one more cigarette after you quite a week ago. i try not to think about the radio, whats on it, whos on it, or the newest coolest station. its something im not interested in. half of my happiness comes from diggin in old creates for stuff. if i missed it, then i was meant to miss it. i don't want to be forced to hear something that someone is playing over the radio because the record company signed a deal to have it payed 63 times in two hours. its to forced for me.

2. i like the song from EMF "your unbelievable" it never seems to go away. lol

wizardcombat
08-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Hall and Oates, man.
Hall and friggin' Oates.

friend
08-09-2003, 12:21 AM
fuckin hall and oates is right!

sometimes i write off a new rock band if there is an aggressive marketing push going on with that band. i actually can still get pleasure out of radio listening, but for years i tuned it out. a lot of it does sound like a commercial. old bands i don't judge. there are so many great bands from the 50's to the 90's whether they are "cool" (velvet underground, television, the smiths, the fall, syd barrett, bowie) or not cool (zeppelin, duran duran, the monkees, howard jones, hall n oates...). sometimes i love some modern mainstream hip hop, even though i've listened to underground rap music for over 15 years. justin timberlake, n.e.r.d., that shit is fresh in my book. i do understand the need to at some point rebel against the tyranny of the radio and renounce the mainstream. for me the healthy thing to eventually to after that is to be able to embrace music as a thing whether it's the hokey pokey, michael jackson, slip not, the pixies, elephant 6, or the song your grandparents fell in love to.

ICFTHBAO is actually my favorite yo la album. i've only heard 4 of them so far though.