PDA

View Full Version : One Very Simple Recording Question

DrinkTeaEatBooks
06-23-2005, 09:16 AM
So, I want to start recording.

But the thing is, I know absolutely nothing about it.

Really, I'm an idiot when it comes to the technical side of recording.

But right now, I have nothing except a recent copy of Cubase (called Cubase SX, or something like that).

And I'm looking for a recording setup that will allow a lot of layers and overdubs without massive loss of audio quality.

I think I'm kind of throwing myself in at the deep end here, but I'd really appreciate some help on this. I'm just dying to start recording :D

[Edited on 23-6-2005 by DrinkTeaEatBooks]

bedbug
06-23-2005, 09:24 AM
You could just be like me and do it despite your limitations. Cubase sounds like a pretty good start. The best advise I can give is to try not to fall into the trap of gearlust. Down the line you might be stuck between getting one real nice compressor or 3-4 crappy pieces of outboard gear. In most cases it's best to go for the one nice thing. Don't catch yourself saying "well, I can't record an acoustic guitar because I don't have a ribbon mic." Just throw a 57 on it and see what happens.

Along the way check out
tapeop.com
homerecording.com/bbs
recording.org

There's plenty of real advise about the technical stuff on those sites. I also recommend the books
The Musicians Guide to Home Recording by Peter McClan
and
The Tape Op Book About Creative Music Recording

Good luck! :cool:

hypecity
06-23-2005, 09:26 AM
http://www.blacktable.com/images/0412pics/jesus/28000.jpg

[Edited on 3-22-0606 by hypecity]

WandaLeeandtheDrumMachine
06-23-2005, 06:44 PM
a cheapo mixer, an sm58 and sm57.... (really just a 58 unless you got the money for both)

DrinkTeaEatBooks
06-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Thankyou very much :)

NoHarshChemicals
06-24-2005, 11:00 PM
There's a long and dark road ahead. No one knows if it will pay off. It's fun as heck though. Listen to Wanda Lee he knows what he's talking about.