PDA

View Full Version : London calling

haennric
07-25-2003, 03:43 AM
Greetings to the Britons of the board!
I'm heading for London in a few days and since I havn't been there in quite a while, I need some tips. Where can I find any good recordstores? Any nice gigs coming up soon (before august 5th)?

nice man washing
07-25-2003, 05:58 AM
Rough Trade
Sister Ray
Tower Records
Notting Hill Buy, Sell and Exchange

There are endless good record stores in the capital, but Rough Trade takes the biscuit for me as they've got such a fantastic range of obscure stuff.

Gigs I'm afraid I can't help you on.

Tim, Stroud

[Edited on 25-7-2003 by nice man washing]

haennric
07-25-2003, 06:11 AM
Oooh! Sounds promising...
Thank you for the tips!

Just one thing, where in London is Rough Trade located?
And by the way, is it connected to the legendary record label?

nice man washing
07-25-2003, 07:15 AM
Yes - the record shop is connected with the record label.

It's at a place called Neal's Yard I think, off Shaftesbury Avenue.

haennric
07-25-2003, 09:57 AM
Ok! I found the place on a map, thank you for helping me out!

haennric
07-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Yeah! The Track&Field people are up to many interesting things, the schedule for next week seems nice...

Too bad the Essex Green doesn't play in London until the 15th, but I hope to catch them back in Sweden instead.

haennric
07-28-2003, 05:01 AM
The new record is really amazing and I've listened to it a lot! But then I loved the "everything is green" record too...
However, the new record is pretty different from the old one so maybe you'll enjoy it more (this one is less Ladybug Transistorish and more rocking in my opinion).

woodyisa
07-29-2003, 02:19 AM
If you want good record shops the only place to go is Berwick Street off Oxford Street. There you will find: Selectadisc, Reckless Records (x 2), Sister Ray and Trade and Exchange. Well worth a visit any time you're in London. A lot.
It's the street on the front cover of Oasis' 'what's the story...'. However shit they are and however much i hate to admit that I even know that, it is. There you go. ahh. oh well. good luck.

haennric
07-29-2003, 03:15 AM
Ok! I'll be sure to pop in on Berwick Street too. Thank you for the info! This will save me hours of chasing around town, which would have made my feet sore and my girlfriend grumpy!

Leaving tomorrow, now I have to concentrate on making my luggage light so I can bring home tons of music!