PDA

View Full Version : bright eyes site

Freakboy
07-24-2003, 04:22 AM
do they have an official website?

ladylamentingonalawnchair
07-24-2003, 09:33 AM
try the saddle creek website, www.saddle-creek.com.

William
07-24-2003, 10:10 AM
The unofficial website http://www.speakeasy.org/~pjohnson/bright/bright.html is better. It has lyrics, discography, images, and stuff that Saddle Creek doesn't have (at least the last time I was there).

[Edited on 7-24-2003 by William]

Housh
07-24-2003, 11:44 AM
http://www.thestoryinthesoil.com/
is the official site.

William
07-24-2003, 12:49 PM
I don't think Bright Eyes is that similar to Neutral Milk Hotel when it really gets down to how it makes you feel. I don't like Bright Eyes alot...I did for awhile when I first heard him..but then it sort of wore off and got annoying...Hes a talented song writer I guess..nice guy probably...

He gets too much credit with NMH, and Bob Dylan comparisons.

channelfan
07-24-2003, 12:53 PM
well actually some e6 artists have contributed to his recordings so theres some of the similarity. of course mainly he is compared to jeff mangum and while i see how people get that i don't think they're that similar. connor has historically been referred to as very pretentious. when you hear his early stuff, you really pick it up, but i think it's somewhat expected when you consider what a young age he recorded that stuff. every album he seems to get a little mellower and the pretentiousness fades some. one thing that hasn't changed much is the obvious depression and mental anguish in his songwriting, which also adds a little to the pretentious feeling but gets more believable as he goes along. i think his latest album, 'lifted...' is definately his most accomplished. some songs are still depressing, but his writing has matured. other songs begin to shed a little light on his music which turns out good. anyway, i'm not a obssesive fan, but i have given most of his releases a good listen.

i think jeff doesn't have an ounce of pretentiousness in him, and so many of his songs are triumphant and give you such good feelings. that's why i would never compare the two.

William
07-24-2003, 01:07 PM
I bought 3 of his albums. I only kept Lifted, I traded in the other 2. The last song on Lifted I believe is by far his best.

Housh
07-24-2003, 06:39 PM
I have no clue how you could compare Bright Eyes to NHM. Comparing Jeff's lyrics to Connor's is apples and oranges. Just because they are both indie label singer/song writers with acoustic/indie orchestras doesn't mean BE is ripping off NHM.

Bright Eyes is more popular because Lifted happened to come out during the big 'emo' trend and hipsters picked up because of Connor's young age and looks (teenage girly fans) plus he sings of topics that a lot of teenagers or suburban rich parent's basement dwellers can relate to . Not to mention the fact they still produce music, have fairly decent distribution and they tour a lot. Hell, they were on Lettermen.

NHM is just indie music's best kept secret. I even doubt a lot of people knew about them back in '96 compared to now due to MP3s and file sharing.

Just my humble opinions...

haennric
07-25-2003, 01:32 AM
I've been fortunate enogh to see both BE and NMH live. The first time I saw BE was while they were pre-hype and they played in these tiny venues here in Sweden. They just played two gigs here, and me and a few friends first saw them here in my hometown and them followed them to the second show, almost 200 miled from here. At the first show they got really drunk (I got pictures with Conor jumping on the base drum and falling off stage and such) but the second show was awesome. We managed to get them back on stage for encores and since we only were like five people that had ever heard them before there was pretty much play on demand. I saw BE again two years ago, now in a far bigger venue, and it was not the same...
NMH also played here in my hometown, but they were the showstarter (for Sparklehorse) and they only played for maybe 30 minutes. Still it was excellent (of course). Both the BE show and the NMH show easily makes my top 10 list.

The only thing I can say is connecting the two bands is probably the energy that they radiated on stage. Conor pounding the keyboard/guitar or Jeff sweating and violently strumming his guitar is hard to match...

dannyincendiary
07-25-2003, 08:03 PM
i personally think both conor and jeff have talent beyond belief, but i agree that comparisons don't go a whole lot farther than that. their lyrics are very different, and musically i think bright eyes takes more from leonard cohen than nmh or anyone else.
both great artists, some similarities, but all in all each have a unique style.
p.s. "fevers and mirrors" is brilliant in my opinion. "lifted..."is alright, overproduced, and the string arrangements take away from everything. but i'm also a minimalist when it comes to this stuff.

mezezezah
07-30-2007, 02:00 PM
I HATE BRIGHT EYES!@#+!$@#K#@@$!@#K

vb7000
07-30-2007, 02:04 PM
I've never enjoyed listening to Bright Eyes (well, forgive me for loving First Day of My Life!)... but I saw him/them live last week at a festival in Spain and it was a seriously amazing show.

I'm gonna try preserve the weirdness of my sincere enjoyment by refraining from listening to his albums.

But, yeah, I loved it!