PDA

View Full Version : growing out of music

TodayiSailAway
06-04-2005, 12:07 PM
sucks. however, are there any albums you feel that you'll still be into when youre 75 years old? or will you think you were just childish to ever like most music. few albums stand the test of timefor me. in fact, most albums fade away after a year or two.

my list of timeless albums:
1) Boards of Canada "Music has the right..."
2) My Bloody Valentine "Loveless"
3) NMH "Aeroplane"....possibly.....i think i can see myself growing out of the themes in that album

Interesting observation:
all three of those albums are surrounded by aura of mysteriousness...my theory (at least for me, that is) is that the only albums that stick with me for the long run are the ones that are mysterious, slightly unhuman....kinda like a dream

another observation:
all three of these albums were released before i was proactively into music....i wonder if an album like aeroplane came out RIGHT NOW if i would like it...or would i write it off as something mediocre. i dont know.

[Edited on 6-4-2005 by TodayiSailAway]

Harnk
06-04-2005, 02:00 PM
BofC are rubbish

TapeDeckGhost
06-04-2005, 05:45 PM
The Microphones - The Glow Pt.2
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Areoplane Over The Sea
Panda Bear - Young Prayer

and also Boards Of Canada are not rubbish!!! They're an amazing and brilliant band. so shut your hole!!

BigBlackSmoke
06-04-2005, 07:15 PM
i dont like boards of canada either.

i will always love the album "Bee Thousand"

Pål
06-05-2005, 04:15 AM
bee thousand is great! i can't see myself ever going tired of the third velvet underground album. i like boards of canada, but i think they are a bit overrated. they're not THAT good.

hypecity
06-05-2005, 09:12 AM
http://www.blacktable.com/images/0412pics/jesus/28000.jpg

[Edited on 3-22-0606 by hypecity]

BigBlackSmoke
06-05-2005, 09:33 AM
i will also never grow out of the clean "compilation"

Salman
06-05-2005, 09:45 AM
I've grown out of a lot of stuff which I thought I'd never grow out of like all that grunge music I listened to in high school. I still enjoy all of it but I rarely listen to it now. Although, I've been on a Mark Lanegan/Screaming Trees kick lately.

So, I really don't think there's any music I think will last my whole life time... unless I die young or something. Like, I don't see myself rocking out to Of Montreal when I'm 84. But I guess I'll see... maybe I will be.

museek
06-05-2005, 10:50 AM
There are records I seem to be coming back to again & again over a long period of time, because they have this certain timeless quality about them. Like reference points for life's variations, music that brings comfort, help, inspiration, joy..
Fleetwood Mac: Rumours (#1 break up album)
Beach Boys: Friends (#1 friendship album)
Marvin Gaye: What's going on, Stevie Wonder: Songs in the key of life, Lauryn Hill: Miseducation of..

shlacking
06-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Godspeed You Black Emperor - F#A#oo
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

I can't imagine my life without these.

dpb
06-05-2005, 07:41 PM
I have listened to these three albums, hundreds of times over the past 6 years and they are still among my favorites:

built to spill - perfect from now on
olivia tremor control - black foliage
sunny day real estate - How it feels to be something on

These are still pretty new, but are still listened to VERY frequently

do make say think - and yet and yet
the shins - chutes too narrow

shlacking
06-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Personally, I find Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn outshines the rest of Do Make's catalog, greatly.

BigBlackSmoke
06-05-2005, 09:21 PM
i cant see myself as a 90 year old man listening to abnoxious sound collages, so sadly, i dont think ill be listening to black foliage as an old man

jaimi
06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
The Beatles and The Beach Boys and Jimi Hendrix seem like pretty good choices, though their music will be well over a hundred years old by the time I'm ninety, being well before my time as is. It's hard to say because I always find something that I like even more.

hypecity
06-07-2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.blacktable.com/images/0412pics/jesus/28000.jpg

[Edited on 3-22-0606 by hypecity]

patman?
06-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Harnk
BofC are rubbish

No they aren't.

BigBlackSmoke
06-08-2005, 04:37 PM
me too!!

The Sad Witch
06-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Even if I grow out of something I expect I would still go back to it every now and then because music is such a good time machine, so if I want to remember a particular time I just have to listen to the music I had at the time. There are some albums that I still love but just don't want to listen to because I don't want to loose/ water down the memories I have with them. That's kind of pathetic but I just can't help it ;)

buck_tempo
06-10-2005, 07:13 AM
I don't think of it as "growing out" of music, i think of it as "having absorbed" music. after listening to an album or band or song long enough, i pretty much get what i'm goint to get out of it. I can't imagine any album that it will take me fifty years to absorb and i will be dreadfully disappointed if my tastes don't continue to change. that said, there are many I would go back to for sentimental reasons.
Moxy Fruvous- Bargainville
They Might Be Giants- Flood
Ed's Redeeming Qualities- More Bad Times
Hayden- Moving Careful EP
Some Beatles, some Of Montreal, "God Only Knows"

paulpaul
06-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by spiritualdishwasher
[

i saw that movie the other day. i think i've seen it a couple dozen times, but strangely never the whole way through.

haha i have that same problem.... i just have a bunch of bits and peices of that movie...... i dont even know if he makes it home before his mom and manages to stay out of trouble:(

feeling_retro
06-27-2005, 08:55 PM
there are many albums that i swore i would listen to until i'm at least 50, of course those albums get very very very rare roatation anymore and i'm nowhere near 50. But probably a beatles album, definitely. Either The White Album or Revolver.