PDA

View Full Version : How did you all find out about the apples?

Brerick
07-21-2003, 02:00 PM
My best friend turned me on to them. His brother is their lead singer, Robert Schnider. I had never really heard them until Robert drove his brother to my house. He gave me a CD, and now I can't stop listening to it.

How did you all find out about the apples?

seandavidson
07-21-2003, 06:22 PM
I was a music writer many years ago and I got a promo copy of Fun Trick Noisemaker in the mail from spinART. I thought it was one of the best cd's in the mail that day. And it just grew from there.

Then when Science Faire came out I did an interview with Robert and they did not have a website at the time so I talked Robert into letting me create one for them and we just became friends from there.

Sean

Brerick
07-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Do you know how his other band is comming along? The Ulysses? (probably spelled it wrong). When he was here, he told me that they were going on tour soon with them and one of the concerts would be back in my town. I don't think they have a website, so I was just curious.

seandavidson
07-23-2003, 10:26 PM
They are recording songs right now...and as I type this Bryan is posting info about a show in Athens with Robert new band and Bryan's band.

As far as a website, I think they are working on one. I will be posting info when it comes to me.

Sean

phil
07-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Brerick
My best friend turned me on to them. His brother is their lead singer, Robert Schnider. I had never really heard them until Robert drove his brother to my house. He gave me a CD, and now I can't stop listening to it.

How did you all find out about the apples?

http://www.emusic.com, the world's best mp3 site.

nearly all of the apples stuff is there.

-phil

DigsyDawson
07-29-2003, 10:30 PM
Being a pretty recent fan, the first time I saw/heard them was while watching Cartoon Network. They played the video for "Signal In The Sky." They intrigued me and I remembered their name. It wasn't until around October or so of 2002 that I decided to download a bunch of songs after hearing a friend play "Haley." I got "Tone Soul Evolution" and "Velocity of Sound" for Christmas, and now 7 months later I have all their albums.

Freek
07-30-2003, 02:43 AM
curious about their name and remembering vaguely to have heard of them sometime I decided to rent the cd Discovery... and was completely floored by the upbeat cheerful sounds. but living in the netherlands means I only have their last three albums yet. I have now ordered TSE FTN, SF and the let's go ep so I can hardly wait for them to arrive with the mail.

marybyrne
08-13-2003, 06:44 AM
I was sitting around after school, and my friend handed me a cd (fun trick noisemaker) and said "Here's some music you're not listening to, and you should be." I listened to the whole thing in one sitting...
and here I am today.

Spastic Minnow
08-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Kept hearing about "Discovery of..." as one of the best albums of that year, so I ordered it in an introductory shipment from Columbia House. I then ordered the other two albums that they had in their catalog only to be told they didn't have them anymore.

Freakboy
08-13-2003, 08:47 PM
i was looking up NMH and saw them

jknight
08-22-2003, 08:58 AM
i first heard of them about last year. most of my friends are into punk rock and hardcore and so was i. i was working in a screen printing shop that did band shirts. the only shirts we did were hardcore bands. the only people i worked with were hardcore kids. the only music that they listened to was HARDCORE. ahhhhhhhh. i decided that i hated hardcore and wanted to see a different side to life. i found the apples along with NMH and Of Montreal and i couldn't believe that the happier side of life is where i would like to be involved in. ever since then ive been totally hooked.
thanks for making good music.

quelico
08-22-2003, 09:13 AM
i download silver chain mp3 and two muoth later a found the cd(velocity of sound) with a good price$

the music
10-12-2003, 03:12 AM
i heard "please" from CMJ's free CD compilation.

henrikhhh
10-12-2003, 03:38 PM
a mix-cd that i got from a friend had some apples-songs on it (i think it was "go" and "the rainbow".). this was ages ago, though, and i think some of the stuff on that cd was important in getting me out of the stage i was in, when i was listening only to 'major' stuff like the smashing pumpkins, r.e.m., radiohead and so on...

[Edited on 10-12-2003 by henrikhhh]

ImNoAndroid
10-12-2003, 05:53 PM
i found out from this camp i worked at. this
guy there told me about a bunch of elephant6
bands, and i instantly fell in love :)

kartoonz
10-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Pavement and the Apples at the same show? Oh, man. I wish I was there. Of course I wouldn't have appreciated it back then as much as I do now.

I got into the Apples about 3 years ago. I had downloaded "Strawberryfire" after hearing the band mentioned on a Beatles message board. It was so wonderfully textured and beautiful. Shortly afterwards, there was a music store in the mall closing and they had "Tone Soul Evolution" for $9. I'd never heard anything from it, but I said, "What the hell" and bought it anyways. Oh, how glad I was.

ladylamentingonalawnchair
10-12-2003, 09:44 PM
My friend who did a lot of speed lent me a tape with TSE on one side and something post-rocky on the other. The tape is still in my car though I don't know what became of her.

yellowdress
10-13-2003, 07:10 PM
I heard of them on another board, in a thread about dressy bessy. This band is so awesome. They sound a lot like the beatles.

perfectbrokenmirror
10-15-2003, 11:18 AM
the beatles are one of their major influences.

By the way yellowdress, Welcome!

c.s.

raydavies02
10-15-2003, 02:56 PM
i had heard from a few people that i would like the apples, so i downloaded "motorcar". it was fabulous.

i was also the person who played digsy dawson the song "haley" (because it is one of my all time favorite apples songs).

stinky
10-19-2003, 02:08 PM
i heard them for the first time the night i met my husband. we were in the car going back to his place and he popped in velocity of sound. i was hooked (on them and on him hehe)

theplustwo
12-02-2003, 02:29 PM
My older brother bought that "Heroes and Villains" Powerpuff Girls album with the "Signal In the Sky" release on it. From there he bought Velocity of Sound and Discovery of a World Inside the Moone. I'm still on a journy of discovery through the Apple's back catalog, intoxicating my friends with their greatness as I go. My favorite so far is " 20 Cases Suggestive Of..." although they all rock. :P

QkDonnyS
12-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Hey all. My first post. I first saw the apples with Clinic here in Boston. Right away, i thought they rocked. I got to see them again at the middle east in Cambridge and whoa, that show rocked. I got to hang out with the whole band pretty much all of before and after the show. I can't wait to see them again.

Brien
12-13-2003, 11:59 PM
I heard "I want" on Nocturnal Emissions on WBCN Boston in October 2002. I remember enjoying the song a lot on my ride home, and hunting down the artist/tune a week later. My love for the band has slowly, but surely expanded since then.

icarus
12-29-2003, 10:05 PM
My father's friend's nephew is Chris Parfitt, who was one of the founding members of the Apples. Last year he (my dad) did the wedding for some relative of his friend in Vermont and he met Chris there.

ApplesInStereoRGr8
01-07-2004, 12:42 AM
A co-worker of mine knew that I just LOVE the Beatles so one day he suggested that I check out The Apples in Stereo. So I went out and bought "Tone Soul Evolution" and just fell in LOVE with them, I was listening to the CD over and over again all day at work for a solid two weeks. I'd never been overwhelmed by feelings like that for even the Beatles and haven't since then. Even today I get a small buzz listening to that album. And I have an even greater appreciation for the music after getting an iPod and listening to that album with good musical equipment vs. the computer laptop's tinny speaker that I was using at work.

I've loved their work since then and have finally bought all their previous work but for me "Tone Soul Evolution" will always be special to me.

Someone above noted that the Group's influence is the Beatles but actually Schnider's strongest influence is the Beach Boys, in particular Brian Wilson, if I remember right; the Beatles was his then girlfriend, now wife's, strongest influence. I've assumed that the band's name was his girlfriend/wife's idea but would love it if anyone can confirm or deny this thought.

garyw
01-29-2004, 07:31 PM
you can totally tell her wallpaper reverie was influenced by the beatles

cometboy
01-30-2004, 01:56 AM
i was at Amoeba Records in San Francisco. i had just missed an instore performence by Pansy Division, so i was pretty upset, but the band was sticking around afterward, shopping and whatnot, so i asked Chris Freeman to recommend a band to me. he asked what i'd been listening to lately and i said the Olivia Tremor Control. he suggested the Flaming Lips, but we found that all the actual albums of theirs had been bought up, just singles comps and EPs left. so then he suggested the Apples, especially their most recent effort. i had heard many good thingsabout the Apples, so i thanked him and bought the album, which i love!

oh, and while i was standing in line to make the purchase, Jon Ginoli saw me holding the album and he commended the band as well. awesome! Pansies love Apples!

Freek
01-30-2004, 03:19 PM
pansy division, do they still make records? I have some cd's of them, some terrific songs on there (especially love "The summer you let your hair grow out" and their cover of Liz Phair's "Flower")

cometboy
01-30-2004, 03:22 PM
yeah, the show was actually a record release party. they're on Alternative Tentacles now, and tey're playing in Berkeley tomorrow night! i hope i can go.

shine
02-03-2004, 03:06 PM
i first heard of Apples in Stereo when listening to the Shins on kcrw (morning becomes eclectic) they performed a live set and then they interviewed the band. The lead vocals, James Mercer was asked who his influences were and he said Apples in Stereo. I went to get Tone Soul Evolution and i totally fell in love with the album, soon after i added Fun Trick Noisemaker and The Discovery of Sound to my small collection and i want to get some more.:)

2sheds
02-10-2004, 10:26 AM
i had a year subscription to emusic because They Might Be Giants were releasing new songs on it every month. with the subscription though, i could download all of the music i wanted from the site. eventually i came to Apples in Stereo and i immediatley loved all of their albums.

since the subscriptions been over, i've obtained all their albums in real cd form.

Yeh! Yeh!:)

[Edited on 2-10-2004 by 2sheds]

floating norman
02-10-2004, 10:32 AM
my very, very good friend matt (channelfan), let me hear them, along with pretty much all the e6 stuff that was out at the time (nmh, otc, etc.) back in .....hmmm, i guess about '97 or '98, and at that point i thought sloan was probably the best group around. then i started listening to all the e6 stuff i could get my hands on, and eventually i was hooked. have been ever since.

phil
02-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 2sheds
i had a year subscription to emusic because They Might Be Giants were releasing new songs on it every month. with the subscription though, i could download all of the music i wanted from the site. eventually i came to Apples in Stereo and i immediatley loved all of their albums.

cool, another emusic fan! you may have read that that's how i found out about them too. they had a free track but i couldn't afford the albums (this was when they had a deal like itunes, pay-per-track). when the unlimited deal showed up, i was like a kid in a candy store (or bull in a china shop, you pick), i got the apples, minders, etc. ahh........those were the days.

greenlikejuly
02-16-2004, 03:06 PM
My best friend found them on the Pete&Pete soundtrack and loved them... the fever spread to me!

Apple (in Stereo)
02-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Internet

science fair
02-16-2004, 09:10 PM
my friend used glowworm on a student project

auntiewinnie
02-27-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by greenlikejuly
My best friend found them on the Pete&Pete soundtrack and loved them... the fever spread to me!

I found the band through Pete and Pete as well.

acrobat
02-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by science fair
my friend used glowworm on a student project

that is VERY cool.

Vinnie
03-07-2004, 11:25 AM
It's great to see that many have discovered AIS in just the last year!

I first encountered AIS as a college radio DJ, when Fun Trick Noisemaker was in rotation, and I could rely on any track to sound great, but it wasn't until a couple of years later when I heard a friend listening to Tone Soul Evolution and asked what it was that I really got into them. I've picked up everthing since on the day of release.

carlos
03-07-2004, 12:41 PM
I was sitting in my back yard and a small monkey with a pocket watch sat beside me and said "it's time" and handed me a copy of "discovery.." It was all uphill from there. Thanks little monkey!

[Edited on 3-7-2004 by carlos]

gabe
03-26-2004, 04:36 PM
I was driving pizzas last spring brak and I got tired of all my cd's, this only happens about once every 2 months or so, and i turned on Underground Garage on some radio station I cant recall, they played rainfall and I remember pulling over to hear the rest of the song before I got to the customers door. I was blown away, i haven't been hit so hard since i first heard At the Drive In - Vaya (go buy it). yeah...

acrobat
03-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by gabe
I was driving pizzas last spring brak and I got tired of all my cd's, this only happens about once every 2 months or so, and i turned on Underground Garage on some radio station I cant recall, they played rainfall and I remember pulling over to hear the rest of the song before I got to the customers door. I was blown away, i haven't been hit so hard since i first heard At the Drive In - Vaya (go buy it). yeah...

"Rainfall" is a beautiful song.

Weirdo1769
04-15-2004, 01:42 AM
First time I heard AIS was sometime last year from epitonic.com. I sampled The Benefits of Lying with a friend and I loved it instantly. The following weekend I went to Spaceboy records on south street and picked up Discovery.

Little Pea
04-24-2004, 08:48 AM
My cousin showed me their songs and I really liked them. I asked if he could lend me his "Tone soul evolution" and he did. Unfortunatelly to him, he never got his cd back! ;)

Krisy1301
04-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Brien:)

newartriotgirl
05-01-2004, 10:55 PM
I first heard "Seems So" back on a CMJ sampler in the mid 90's and I was totally blown away. I finally saw them live tonight. I waited nearly 8 years. Rob was shocked that I had even known who they were back then. What a great guy. Sweaty hugs and non stop conversation, Rob is the best. :D

oh and yeah, was just reading what floating norman wrote about all the e6 stuff, yeah i feel the same way... olivia tremor control and neutral milk hotel, etc. all wonderful bands.. the best bands i never saw *tear*

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by newartriotgirl]