PDA

View Full Version : here goes nothing - WRITERS, UNITE!

staralfur
07-19-2003, 07:06 PM
http://www.geocities.com/themadrigalmag
send me your poems, your short stories, your Good Ideas for building on this, because it's going somewhere and it's all very exciting. and i want you all to be a part of it, because you're intelligent and interesting people, at least some of you must be secret writers? i hope? i hope!
CHECK IT OUT! :)

Alex McNoodles
08-06-2003, 06:42 PM
oooh! i'm in!!

opopopo
08-13-2003, 03:06 PM
the very moment i stop hating everything i put to paper, you shall get some writing from me, promiced.

William
08-13-2003, 05:18 PM
No one has written anything for the site. I feel bad.

opopopo
08-13-2003, 11:28 PM
thats awful! i must must must create something for it! ive seen the madrigal page and read the mission statement, but ive been one of those "well, other people will send stuf..." kinda people.

bah, i shall write something......

dolemites_sister
08-14-2003, 05:05 AM
Geez.. I wish I could write... I've had a severe case of writers block for the last 5 years..

Everything I put down on paper, I hate...

Anyone have a cure for this?

Aiwa Chikara
08-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Quote dolomites_sister:
"Geez.. I wish I could write... I've had a severe case of writers block for the last 5 years..

Everything I put down on paper, I hate...

Anyone have a cure for this?"

I keep a journal and write my thoughts on nature, human behavior, politics, my own problems, etc. and whenever I find a phrase that I like I try making a poem based on it. Most of the stuff I've done that with have ended up being songs, and I put the lyrics up at www.fictionpress.net, after recording the songs and sending them to my bandmate. I dunno whether or not you have a band, but if you don't feel comfortable letting people see something you've written, or if you simply don't like what you've written, I'd suggest posting it on a website under a pen name, and it will probably draw some constructive criticism that you can apply to the writing. Hopefully you can alter it to suit your liking.

dolemites_sister
08-15-2003, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.. I used to keep a journal all the time when I was in school. I even took a creative writing class. But even now when I look back at that stuff I hate it. Everyone liked it then, but I don't like it now..

Since I've decided to become a slacker at work (which sucks the creativity right out of me), maybe I will get me a fresh new clean journal and start writing at break and lunch.

j

nice man washing
08-15-2003, 05:17 AM
Writing a journal rules. You'll be surprised at the stuff you find when you look back. Just write, write, write, and something will come. Go for it!

Freakboy
08-15-2003, 01:34 PM
i think part of being a good artist is that you never acept your own stuff.
For me, im always trying to make something better. That's really what its all about. If we thought we wrote the best poem in the world, there would be nowhere to move forward and you wouldnt be a poet. And also the insecurity and low self esteem fuels some good stuff!
I dunno, I hate everything I write and every once in a while like for my line "Crying's not the only thing eyes do/but right now that's all they know how to" im like "oh that's kinda pretty" but its not like something neutral milk hotel would say thats amazing you know?

perfectbrokenmirror
08-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Clean journals are great. I love the feeling of a new start. New journals help me get back into writing. At times I've just written song lyrics because there is no other way to expres my emotion etc.

Hopefully your writer's block goes by the wayside.

c.s.

staralfur
08-16-2003, 07:42 PM
I got LOTS of submissions - I was elated, actually - got web hosting, bought themadrigal.net, made a web page with FrontPage, was all set to launch - and - AND...some scumbag broke into the yahoo account where I had all submissions/hosting passwords saved, stupidly ONLY in that account, and..well. It's a bit impossible to retrieve any of it without that account. I've been bombarding yahoo with desperate please for my account back - the person changed my password - but of course it's not working. So I'm at a bit of a loss how to proceed.

MrG
08-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Start over. Sadly enough, that's the only thing that can be done, at this point. If it makes you feel any better, I run a MySQL database-centered site where people submit things to the db and yadda yadda, and one fine morning I find a hacker used some silly hole in my PHP coding to delete the entire db. :)

So I had to go back by hand and reenter the submissions I had backed up, because I hadn't backed up anything automatically.

It was great fun!

;)

Anyhow, it certainly sounds like you have lots of people (including me, hehe) interested in submitting again here if/when you do decide to start over so that's a plus..

Good luck!

Mike