PDA

View Full Version : The Animal Collective

nice man washing
07-15-2003, 06:02 AM
Anyone heard anything by The Animal Collective? I've been reading about them on Pitchfork and they sound great.

fortcoryweaver
07-22-2003, 01:31 PM
they're awesome! Defiently check them out. I just bought here comes the indian.

channelfan
07-23-2003, 06:48 AM
descriptions please, descriptions

fortcoryweaver
07-23-2003, 02:00 PM
It's psychedelica with noisy electronics like black dice. They also have a very tribal sound, mostly the drums. The vocals are just odd screams and strange lyrics. Avey Tare (singer) sound like a crazier daniel smith of danielson famile.
They also use a lot of animal sounds.
It's native american music combined with krautrock, 70's punk, lofi and electronic music. It's awesome!

William
07-23-2003, 06:24 PM
You can download an mp3 from http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/mp3

nice man washing
07-24-2003, 04:08 AM
Thanks friends! My order is now in for 'Here Comes the Indian'. I don't know how long it's going to take as you can't get stuff like this in England very easily . . .

nervesandgel
09-13-2003, 03:18 PM
thanks for this suggestion, i downloaded one of their songs a while back when this post was first made, and fell in love with it. i can't find their album anywhere though, so i finally got around to ordering it, and boy is it good!

nice man washing
09-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Another Animal Collective release called 'Campfire Songs', bizarrely by Campfire Songs, is also excellent. Read my review here:

http://www.lunakafe.com/moon84/usny84b.php

They've got the albums the wrong way round though: the first part of the review is about the 'Campfire Songs' release - recorded on a front porch in Maryland using three MiniDisc recorders.

nice man washing
10-20-2003, 05:39 AM
My good friend Abid bought me the new Animal Collective 2-disc set that's just been released in the UK. It's got Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished and Danse Manatee on it, and I've listened to the former, which is amazing.

Go get!

William
10-27-2003, 03:20 PM
I read the new interview Pitchforkmedia just put up of them this week. Before I wasn't very interested, now that I see that they grew up in the same place I'm growing up, Northern Baltimore just outside the city, I feel like buying one of their records. I wish I knew people around here willing to do such cool things...

grimble gromble
11-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Read the review at Pitchfork and they sound really interested... Anyone know where I can find an MP3? I don't see any available at Pitchfork...

William
11-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Pitchfork probably took it down. Search for Animal Collective at InSound.com. There is one there too.

http://insound.com/mp3/searchmp3.cfm?searchby=Animal%20Collective

there.

[Edited on 11-4-2003 by William]

nervesandgel
11-04-2003, 01:23 PM
the interview is still there, it looks more like an ad banner though, its right below the part where the letters are for a band search.

i didn't think the interview was very good though