PDA

View Full Version : 8 track opinions

spacehorse
07-11-2003, 01:57 PM
hey, im thinking of getting myself an 8 track recorder, but i know basically nothing about them and wanted to know if anyone here has bought one and if you have reccomendations or warnings about what not to get.

i know i need something digital with copy/paste functions... thats about all i got so far though.

any help would be appreciated.:)

nice man washing
07-14-2003, 08:57 AM
As far as I know most 8-tracks are fine for multitrack recording, but as for copying and pasting sounds you can only do that on computer.

floating norman
07-14-2003, 09:07 AM
we've been using a tascam 788 (digital) 8-track, which we'd been opposed to for integrity's sake, until a tape machine ate our stuff one too many times. it's coming out great. if you use a good tube pre-amp and condenser mic, you can still get a good genuine sound. we're renting this machine, but i think we've had it so long now we probably could have bought one. oh well. it has a cut/copy/paste and all kinds of other functions that we haven't tried.

Andy McAllister
07-14-2003, 09:48 AM
Yes, I am pretty sure that you can cut/paste/insert with the tascam 788

floating norman
07-15-2003, 09:10 AM
not necessary, but preferred by me. i like the warm sound. sometimes computers make things sound too ...computery for my taste.

pepe
07-15-2003, 09:18 AM
I just bought the fostex MR8. It is a real cheap unit (got mine for $280) and is pretty user friendly so far. The one downside is available storage memory. It records onto compact flashcards which are very expensive and really don't have that much memory for 8 tracks. I am looking to hook it up to a zip drive, but have not found out if you can yet. If anyone has any information I would love to hear it.
As a side note I just got my channel cd in the mail a week ago and if you are using the tascam to record that cd it sounds really great. Nice work fellas!

channelfan
07-15-2003, 12:09 PM
pepe
actually the channel recorded 'tones are falling' on an analog 8track. and if you're enjoying those sounds just wait till you hear the ep that they are recording now on the digital 8track. it's sounding absolutely splendid thus far!!

spacehorse
07-18-2003, 06:01 PM
thanks guys,

im just wanting this thing to fuck around on so im not looking to spend too much. but i really want to get an 8 track, not a 4 track.

are there any used instrument buying sites out there that anyone knows about?

rich
07-23-2003, 08:44 PM
heck if your just lookin for somthin to screw around on ill sell you a tascam 238s for 100$ its a rackmount cassette 8 track cept track 1 is on the fritz so its really a 7 track. it comes with the remote locater and is a decent little deck, i used it for a long time and never had a prob except for the 1st track going down. only prob with it would be the fact that you still would need a mixing board to line it in and out of, but those can be had for next to nothing.
and jay... shame on you for saying you didnt really miss your tape. :) rich

MrG
07-23-2003, 09:36 PM
This is blasphemous I'm sure.. But if you have certain equipment and software you can make computers sound far less computery.. I've recorded stuff and "processed it" so it has the analog sound.. And I've fooled people with it. Hehe.

So it's another option.. And a little less expensive (most of the software is/can be obtained for free) than buying an entirely new recording system..

Mike

rich
07-26-2003, 12:08 PM
hey jay, have you had a chance to check out any other ribbons up against your royer yet? im curious how the lower priced ones may stack up. ive been eyeing the old beyer lines for a while and also noticed oktava recently released one for around 300$ i figure somthing oughta do the trick for under a grand. i just picked up one of the BLUE BALL mics. pretty interesting dynamic. have only had a chance to use it on a couple things but so far it seems to be pretty well rounded sounding. weve thought about having a blue ball bbq. get some of the other engineers from around town, some beer and a/b the ball against a pile of other stuff. you should come down if we do it.

[Edited on 7-26-2003 by rich]

squeeziechum
12-15-2003, 04:40 PM
Hey Rich, if you're still interested in selling your 238S, I'm interested in buying it. I need spare parts to rejuvenate my own. Although I have updated my recording setup, I still need access to a drawer-full of tapes recorded on it. Please contact me!

Thanks,
Phil

Originally posted by rich
heck if your just lookin for somthin to screw around on ill sell you a tascam 238s for 100$ rich

Radiophobic Nate
12-18-2003, 04:53 AM
People always say copy-and-paste functions are only available on computer applications, but my four track can do it (Tascam's Pocketstudio ... I came across one REAL cheap on ebay). I've played with the function some, but never really utilized it fully.

If I could play and sing at the same time I'd probably just record onto a walkman or something. I should learn to do that.

typewriters
12-18-2003, 11:42 AM
buying anything digital is a huge mistake. i cant count the amount of times ive lost all my recordings because the fucker crashed. analog is the way to go. in my opinion the sound is better. on a digital it sounds waaaay to dry and clean cut. analog defenity has a more low end full sound. but i guess its like cd vs vinyl.

little wolf
12-18-2003, 05:03 PM
dont buy anything digital. believe me, they're easier to use, but they sound like shit. anyone telling you otherwise doesnt know what their talking about. especially if you're into elephant 6 bands, you need to use analog.

little wolf
12-19-2003, 06:57 AM
believe me, you dont fully realize the evil of digital recording until you work at a studio with musicians who have only ever recorded with pro-tools and are so used to having their performance doctored up that they cant even get through one full take without a million punch ins. i guess maybe it comes down to who the engineer is, if you've got good gear, and know how to make it work, it's not going to sound bad. (plus, if you're the kind of "home recordist" that's got the dough for a u47 and neve mic pres, you dont need the advice of any of us. go light cigars with hundred dollar bills and eat brown m&ms)

all in all, i just think theres a much more pleasant feel to analag recordings. it's like eating frozen waffles vs. waffles your mom made for you. or, it's like getting a hug from your lover, or getting a hug from a robot clone of your lover.

[Edited on 12-19-2003 by little wolf]

opopopo
12-19-2003, 09:48 AM
personally, i find robot clone hugs to be quite pleasurable. also, i am very very highly addicted to kelloggs frozen waffles. seriously, i could eat a box of those things a day and never get sick of them.

the moral of the story is, i know nothing about recording.

martin d18
12-28-2003, 07:25 PM
If anyone needs a spare cassette, I have a Tascam 238S with the RC-88 remote.

Also have a Fostex 1840 record board.

Thanks! from Birmingham

martin d18
01-01-2004, 11:03 AM
I traded my Fostex 1840 board and Tascam 238S for a Fishman Loudbox.

Does anybody like LOUD 240W tri-amped acoustic amps? If anyone needs loud but clear acoustic amplicfication ... a Loudbox will shatter the windows in your house. I think it is "rated" 116 db SPressureLevel.

I can point anyone toward the new owner of my board and tape deck.

Thanks! from Birmingham