PDA

View Full Version : whats your song?

opopopo
06-30-2003, 12:12 PM
is there one song that just totally sums you up, or atleast you can really relate to?

the song "heather dances by herself" by the chubbies is so sadly me, and for more than just the name... what song is you?

ladylamentingonalawnchair
06-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Well, I can't think of any song which sums me up, but I can tell you the song in my head, which runs through my head constantly when I'm not doing anything else. Among a polled selection of friends, about 2/3 had a song always running through their head. Mine, I'm sorry to say, is 'Dixie.' Also I don't know most of the words. On the bright side, it seems to be being replaced by the Le Tigre song 'Much Finer,' (the one that goes, 'Do you want to stay in bed all day?'). My housemate always has circus music running through her head, though recently, she says, 'it has a swing.' (maybe because it's summer?) Another friend has 'We're in the Money!'

[Edited on 6-30-2003 by ladylamentingonalawnchair]

grimble gromble
06-30-2003, 04:29 PM
I have a Syd Barrett verse from Octopus that's constantly creaping up in my head:

"Isn't it good to be lost in the wood?
Isn't it bad so quite their (in the wood)?"

and that makes me think of another great Syd verse thats got its hold on me from Bicycle:

"Your the kind of girl that fits in with my world.
I'll give you anything - everything - if you want things."

sorry opopopo... it's seems we've taken a wrong turn somewhere!

:D

opopopo
06-30-2003, 05:21 PM
oh thats just dandy, i dont think theres anything but wrong turns in this world... keeps things interesting

nervesandgel
06-30-2003, 11:30 PM
i'd have to go with the legendary pink dots "stitching time" off of shadow weaver, specially the first line, cause when i use to get super depressed i use to shave my hair, now i just cut it randomly, lyrics:

i shaved off my hair cos i found it amusing
i faked my dispair in the beautiful ruins
i wailed at the wall tossed a coin in the fountain
now dry as the sand on a dead mans bones
high dive from a cloud take a roll down a mountain
i rise in a shroud and i sleep when i'm counting
i shed my disguise when there's nobody looking, the whites of your eyes are all mine alone
i'm written in stone i'm the dust in your carpet
a guest in your home because thats where the heart is
try and fly on the wind, though you'll find i'm the fastest
i'm always let in, but i dine alone
rest assured i'll survive though i'll strive on your danger
i'll arive as your friend, but i'll leave as a stranger
i'm open for bribes and in the end i will wager
you've nothing to buy but some time alone
the rules of the game are all mine for the making
you'll cheat all the same but your mine for the taking
there's no special favours and no-one forsaken
i live for you all, but i'll die alone

also the music is so beautiful

Andy McAllister
07-01-2003, 12:38 AM
i don't really have a song that sums me up 100% of the time. it changes with how i'm feeling, acting and thinking. right now it is without a doubt m. ward's "carolina" from end of amnesia. i think its an amazing song and fits my mood perfectly. that whole album is amazing. i suggest everyone check it out. its a kind of psychadelic folk album....great stuff. wish there was more out there like it.

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
07-01-2003, 02:55 PM
"Leif Erikson" by Interpol seems dangerously close sometimes. Most anything off of ITAOTS. "Suha" by Xiu Xiu would work if I was older, female, and had a totally different life. As it stands, it's a devastating gem on its own.

Maybe "Fancy Pants" by Ween. I haven't heard it but for on the tele, but at the time I thought it was probably the neatest little ditty ever written.

You crazy kids.

dolemites_sister
07-01-2003, 03:15 PM
I like Judy and the Dream of Horses by Belle and Sebastian... I can't really give you a very good reason why....

I just always put myself in the song when I hear it.

William
07-01-2003, 03:50 PM
''Stockholm Syndrome'' by Yo La Tengo, and ''Bucket'' by Neutral Milk Hotel.

perfectbrokenmirror
07-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Nervesandgel, the lyrics made me go download the song...and soulseek hasn't come up with the song yet so...damn

i'd have to agree with Andy - my songs change weekly and usually reflect my mood. i'd have to say that How to fight loneliness by wilco; have you forgotten by Red House Painters; Napolean by Ani DiFranco; Tears are in Your Eyes by Yo La Tengo; and So Real by Jeff Buckley are my songs for this week/last week.

c.s.

Freakboy
07-23-2003, 04:19 PM
"oops i did it again" >.>

nervesandgel
07-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by perfectbrokenmirror
Nervesandgel, the lyrics made me go download the song...and soulseek hasn't come up with the song yet so...damn

when i get home i'll put you on my aim and if i see you online i can get on soulseek and you can grap it from me

hastycolours
07-27-2003, 07:16 PM
hey the octopus song by syd barrett is so amazingly soothing. i love everything about it, though i know it isn't too profound because little of it comes to sense.(what's a talbot) yes, that is all ive to say really. i have no song that defines me. the chances of someone else writing a song that would do that is slim because they are nt me. yay legendary pink dots. aside from their mass creativity the song 'frosty' is absolutely adorable.

perfectbrokenmirror
07-27-2003, 07:27 PM
when i get home i'll put you on my aim and if i see you online i can get on soulseek and you can grap it from me

I don't really use aim anymore but I am on soulseek all the time. my user name is inROUGE.

c.s.

jknight
08-01-2003, 06:57 AM
rocky raccoon
the beatles

Freakboy
08-03-2003, 03:54 AM
ive rethought it.
Waste of Paint by Bright Eyes!

Andy McAllister
08-04-2003, 04:09 AM
ok, my mood has changed, and therefore so has the song. now i have two that fit my mood(s) most of the time:
Guided by Voices - "Bulldog Skin"
Os Mutantes - "Bat Macumba" (or "Baby")
I'll check back in in about a week or two with new moods and songs to fit them!