PDA

View Full Version : low-cost accomm. in Athens or Summerville?

orbitone
06-29-2003, 07:51 PM
My friend and I just decided to visit / photog Finster's Paradise Garden over July 4 weekend and are stopping by Athens on the way there for a night. Apparently there are people here that live there or have visited. Are there any cheap squats for a night - dorm or (surprisingly non-existant) hostels? Also, we are both really into permaculture / eco-living / intentional communities and I'm wondering if that village is open to visitors or even in existence. We have visited a lot of organic farms in the last few months -- any others to recommend would be great. Apologies for the off-topic post. Non queer-friendly places are out (pardon the pun). Thank you! Kristin

theSprout
07-01-2003, 09:02 AM
have experienced similar problems! i'll second this post. i want to visit in september, but am worried i can't find any where cheap. help us, please!
x

tony
07-01-2003, 05:51 PM
sorry i can't recommend any cheap places to stay.

if it's organic farms you're looking for, though, perhaps i can help. call or stop by daily co-op when you're in athens (523 prince avenue) and someone there (possibly me!) should be able to hook you up with some good info.

tony

orbitone
07-01-2003, 07:36 PM
errrr... there also seems to be absolutely *nothing* to do there this weekend, but i guess we're out 7am-8pm saturday at finster's, so... i'd rather not stay in atlanta because of traffic / getting lost-edness / $$$ / possible lack of green leafy things. if someone at the store would have ideas about visiting somewhere sunday for a bit maybe, that would be cool. i guess there are interesting places to mill around in town, eh? this is sort of nerdy, but if there are any stores that sell 78s that would be great. seeing how it's a music town and all.

kelly
07-01-2003, 08:17 PM
there's a thrift store on clayton st. (at pulaski) called agora. sometimes they have some 78s there. i think they're open noon-5 on sundays. but they usually have cool stuff there regardless. :)

but sundays are generally slow in athens. alot of things are closed or have limited hours.

oh, and i have never been here but there's a hostel about 15 miles south of downtown athens in Watkinsville called Hawks Nest Hostel. you might want to give them a call. i think it's like $10 a night.

Hawks Nest Hostel
1760 McRee Mill Road
Watkinsville GA
(706) 769-0563

if you end up staying there you should give us the lowdown.

[Edited on 7-2-2003 by kelly]

tony
07-03-2003, 01:44 PM
if you're looking for 78s, you might fare well at J&J Flea Market ("georgia's largest"). Really, it is a great flea market and I see a lot of 78s out there from time to time. You don't really see them in the stores around here.

J&J is located about 5 miles north of town on US-441 (Commerce highway). Definitely check it out. It's open until 4 or 5, but most of the sellers start packing up during the early afternoon.

fireworks at Bishop park on friday night. :) Sandy Creek park (you'll pass it on the way to J&J) has a swim beach, and Sandy Creek Nature Center and the state Botanical Gardens (on Milledge Ave) have great trails for walking.

have fun!

orbitone
07-03-2003, 07:05 PM
thanks for the hostel info and the flea market stuff etc. i will definitely check those out and report back about the hostel. i'll be spending the rest of the year in them, so i may as well get used to them.