PDA

View Full Version : searching for jobs

perfectbrokenmirror
06-24-2003, 10:07 AM
AHHHHHHHH!!!!! finding a job is the biggest pain in the arse!!!! i want a job where i can sit around and make money or just design things or something. i suppose i have to be realistic...sigh

isn't it interesting that to work at Polo Ralph Lauren, for example, you have to buy the clothing. there goes half of your pay check.

off to make a resume

c.s.

opopopo
06-24-2003, 12:06 PM
i know!

arg, i wish wish wish this world would pay me for doing something i love... if only i was good at anything... blah.

i spend all school year looking forward to the freedom of summer and then when it comes its like a big employment panic. growl.

if anyone has any ideas as to how to make money over the summer that doesnt involve selling my soul to some awful company, please do share

floating norman
06-24-2003, 01:09 PM
good luck with that. lawn care is always a possibility. of course, you have to purchase a mower, but once you have that, you can just pass out flyers in neighborhoods and you'll probably have more business than you can handle if you don't charge too much and do a decent job. elderly people especially need this service, and are always looking for someone who's actually friendly and reliable. other than real work though, i don't really have any ideas. just as rich families usually stay rich, we poor families usually stay poor. i'd love to survive off doing what i love, but the people who have money usually don't bother with us independent musicians/artists/craftsters, etc. so anyway, i feel your pain.;)

hastycolours
06-24-2003, 11:23 PM
OKAY, i can agree with job thing being a pain in the ass indeed (the finding part) i have a job ( i dont enjoy to thoroughly) but i personally and strongly believe that it depends on WHERE You live. larger cities you could make money selling art (not too much perhaps though?) but even if you do want a weekly paycheck you could still get better jobs in the bigger places because theres more available but i would love a job where i could sit around and do something that fascinates me. im not necessarily into the idea of selling things one by one (the reason i dont like the idea of FreeLance Writing, anyone agree?) but yeah it sucks et cetera, all implied, no more said.

sarahe, a RESUME??? goodness, holy crap thats serious!

dolemites_sister
06-25-2003, 02:58 AM
Working for the man... ah yes... This is life.. and unfortunately this is my life....

opopopo
06-25-2003, 11:17 AM
sigh, just updated my resume and started making some covering letters for every tea house, vintage clothes store, record store, and second hand book store in this ghastly city. realizing im not hip enough to work at any of those places. dont resort to mcdonalds. maybe apply at (gulp) starbucks tomorrow. am i kidding? gnaw off left arm. take a break from hunting jobs and paint my toenails in random shades of blue.

perfectbrokenmirror
07-01-2003, 09:21 AM
i've given up. all the good places are not hiring...i turn in applications but oh well...humph. damn the world and damn money. if there was no money issues i wouldn't be searching - futile task

oh yes, and who says there is a hip factor involved in working at vintages stores, coffee houses, book stores? i can't understand how we use labels even though i thought the whole "movement" was about freeing ourselves from labels. I may be off but i think that you can work anywhere...hip or not hip..for what is hip?

c.s.