PDA

View Full Version : Elephant 6 - Out Of Prints?

William
06-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Today I was looking for the Olivia Tremor Control's ''Dusk At Cubist Castle'' since I only have their ''Singles & Beyond'' CD. Are all their other CD's out of print? No Olivia Tremor Control CD's were in stock at Amazon.com except for the one that I have as well. I was also looking for the Circulatory System CD which I couldn't find at Amazon.com, or the local record store either.

floating norman
06-05-2003, 03:57 PM
dusk at cubist's castle and black foliage are out of print but are to be re-released by the band later this year. they are both amazing beyond anything i can describe. circulatory system can be purchased at www.cloudrecordings.com

acrobat
06-05-2003, 05:42 PM
have you tried www.parasol.com?

friend
06-06-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by floating norman
they are both amazing beyond anything i can describe.

totally. in my opinion, singles and beyond is not really a good starting point.

bedbug
06-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Yesterday I made a mix CD for someone at work combining highlight from Castle and Foliage, and it's made me decide that they're history's most important band.

[Edited on 6-6-2003 by bedbug]

bu-bu-bumm
06-06-2003, 03:57 PM
you know i've been privey to otc for 4 years now and over time have come to think the way of bedbug. When i firts heard cubist and black foliage i thought they were great, but they just get better and black foliage is my favorite album of ALL TIME. if we were living in times more muiscally open-minded (1965-1969), you'd hear otc on the radio and they would be huge. i think that they were way ahead of their time and appreciation will grow as time goes on.

William
06-06-2003, 04:05 PM
Yes, I think if Elephant 6 were around in the 60's, and early 70's the bands would be more popular - not just because at times they sound similar to music of those time periods, but just because the type of music would be welcomed by more people.

perfectbrokenmirror
06-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Yes, I think if Elephant 6 were around in the 60's, and early 70's the bands would be more popular - not just because at times they sound similar to music of those time periods, but just because the type of music would be welcomed by more people.

what does this tell us about 21st century society?

c.s.

dolemites_sister
06-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Its disappointing what popular music has become. American Idol makes me want to throw stuff. Its all about being pretty and perfect. Video actually did kill the radio star.

I saw this thing a long time ago on VH1 about the state of music today. Billy Joel was on talking about how everyone in music has to be attractive now. He said there was no way in hell that he would have ever sold any records if he were starting now instead of the 70's.

I hate to sound all preachy, but I think its disgusting what "radio" music has become. Somewhere it has to all collapse doesn't it?

Sorry... can you tell I have a bit of an opinion about this? :)
j

bu-bu-bumm
06-08-2003, 10:51 AM
I don't think it will ever collapse. People don't want to explore and think, they just want to be spoonfed. Why do you think American Idol is so popular? People don't read or think anymore. A lot of it is because there is no time. People have to work more and more to make ends meet just to have it taken away by Big Bro.

dolemites_sister
06-08-2003, 03:31 PM
This is true. I mean, I spend way more time at work that I do doing anything else. And it just sucks the creativity right out of me. But I have to work. It is impossible to exist in this country without two incomes (I'm talking about married couples). We are barely making it, because my husband is in school right now. We have to live with my parents.

At one time, people were more open to new things. Even for that brief moment in the early 90's, it looked like things were going to get better. Are we such drones that we can't think for ourselves? That is so sad.

j

friend
06-09-2003, 10:18 AM
i do think that there will be some sort of collapse regarding the control and marketing of music. i don't know how soon, but it just doesn't seem logical for it to last at the rate that it's been declining. for now, i'm perfectly happy that someone who really loves music has to search a tiny bit harder for good bands and that the mindless folk have to listen to more mindless music. yeah, pop music is at it's worst, but the worse it gets, more and more independant bands and fans appear. there has been a constant increase of independant bands and fans since the beginnings of punk rock, so i don't see what's going on now as a big suprise.

channelfan
06-09-2003, 11:16 AM
there's no end in sight. actually it's going to get worse. the fcc just deregulated long standing laws to allow the handful of corporations that already monopolize media distribution an even easier road to domination. take clear channel for instance, they own thousands of radio stations and they basically homoginize them so that anywhere you go there are exactly the same radio stations with the exact same formats and playlists.
one hope in the future perhaps is satillite radio. eventually your car stereo will be able to access the internet and you can listen to any cyberstation you want.
i don't know much about xm radio, but it's pretty expensive now, especially since you're only using the service while driving in your car, an hour or two a day generally. i'd like to know if there are any good xm indie music stations to listen to, anyone know?

dolemites_sister
06-09-2003, 01:47 PM
I would agree. I think sattelite radio will win eventually. Especially now that the prices are coming down some. The local radio stations around here are such crap. I laughed out loud because this girl at work said I was unhip because I didn't listen to the local top 40 station.

Anyway, I will admit I am a bit selfish about my music. I want my favorite bands to get the recognition they deserve, but I don't want to have to go to some huge arena to see them either.

Maybe someday the world will wise up, and realize that there really isn't much "creativity" behind what's being shoved down their throats. But also maybe they just don't care.

j

theSprout
06-10-2003, 04:09 AM
i'm inclined to agree with mr. hand (not a puppetry reference, i assure you sir).

my 'elephant 6 in a nutshell' diatribe has become increasingly ragged and less cohesive; i liken trying to condense my feelings and thoughts and the facts into a quick sentance, to actually trying to fit an elephant into a nutshell... so these days, really, i don't indulge. mentioning white noise and psychedelia normally gets those looks where they're smiling at you, but their eyebrows droop and eyes look around for someone else to talk to..

i think its because of the passion that we have for music that we identify with these artists.. they provide a sense of collective experience, or identity, or a cool tune.. its as if we, or our friends were in that band. when bands migrate to the mainstream, 'populist' music culture, the game changes, the audience becomes too varied. which is why i think when 'indie' music leaves the periphery, it means very often, they're not worth following in to the melee. obviously, there are exceptions and this isn't an elitist doctrine.. i mean, where do you draw the line at success vs. 'selling out'?

i guess what i feel is that for this music to communicate to us, it has to exist in a certain social space, and it needs the 'mainstream' to define it to us. some wise men once said that you can't form an identity without opposing yourself to some 'other' :) and while not getting to deeply into that, i love the community, the communication of elephant 6, and a host of other artists.. because i don't want to be seen to identify with 'other' £ driven bands..

and the differences are so subtle, how do you explain a spiritual or emotional impact of music? its intangible and very silly.. maybe this is why nmh disbanded and mr. cobain shot himself; a fear of what either would, or had, become of their musical vision, were it consumed by people that they did not relate to..

make sense? sorry if i ramble! i think mainstream music will always exist. what is popularly consumed may change as things fall in and out of fashion, but generally, there will always be true artists operating to fight for what music is, not what £ it stands for..

i still love john peel, but am too disorganised to listen to him.

S

bedbug
06-10-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by perfectbrokenmirror
what does this tell us about 21st century society?
c.s.

But getting back to OTC - today when critics want to latch on to something for being innovative, what's the criteria? Because there's a laptop in the band? Thanks, but no thanks. With Olivia, you can tell that they actually touched the tape with their hands. They had an optimism that most bands would be afraid to have. I mean, how many records are there now where it's like, let's put a bunch of synths on it and make it about man vs. machine? OTC took it "far out" without the whole robot schtick.

haennric
06-10-2003, 06:02 AM
I don't know for how long it will hold up, but I think the Swedish National Public Service Radio might be the last remnant of that late 60's "play-whatever-sounds-good" era. I mean, most of the day it's just the usual mindless stuff, but occasionally they might play some Of Montreal, Essex Green or even Plastic Mastery, and this is on nationwide radio!

Most Swedes contribute to this by paying a sort of a tv-tax. By law every owner of a tv set has to pay something like $225 a year which is then divided to fund both public service tv and radio. It feels hard to pay for something that otherwise could be funded by ads but I try to think about is as doing a good deed for the music scene! (although I'd still like if it wasn't that much money or they played even more good music!) I don't know if it has to be like this, but there seems to be an inevitable trade off here, either you pay for good music or you get crappy music for free...
But then again I guess we as consumers all pay for the commercial radio too in the end, the bill ends up on the price tags on the stuff they plug on the radio...

Any suggestions of how to stop the decline of radio?

channelfan
06-10-2003, 07:52 AM
here is some more info on clear channel:

ClearChannelSucks.org is a free speech website dedicated to educating the public about entertainment giant Clear Channel. Clear Channel owns over 1,200 radio stations and 37 television stations, with investments in 240 radio stations globally, and Clear Channel Entertainment (aka SFX, one of their more well-known subsidiaries) owns and operates over 200 venues nationwide. They are in 248 of the top 250 radio markets, controlling 60% of all rock programming. They outright own the tours of musicians like Janet Jackson, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Madonna and N'Sync. They own the network which airs Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Laura, Casey Kasem, and the Fox Sports Radio Network. With 103,000,000 listeners in the U.S. and 1,000,000,000 globally (1/6 of the world population), this powerful company has grown unchecked, using their monopoly to control the entire music industry. If you find this alarming, ClearChannelSucks.org is the place for you.

haennric
06-11-2003, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the tip about that ClearChannelSucks-site!

I liked the the short but interesting article called "The Trouble with Corporate Radio: The Day the Protest Music Died" from the New York Times.

The articale used Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young as an example, which is funny cause I stayed up late last night watching a 3½ hour documentary about Woodstock and there was a lot of that band. In my opinion most of the stuff they played was, well, pretty boring, but it's still sad that not any of that kinda music is "allowed" to be aired today.