PDA

View Full Version : some more cloudmaking

Brandon
10-22-2004, 09:53 AM
So, one more time for a newbie, what's the deal with the Second Imaginary Symphony For Cloudmaking? It WAS available commercially, right? I bought a copy two years ago in a New York record store. It's a CDR, but is full of wonderful things (a roll of red cloth, some papers, a leaf-umbrella for the smiling cloud-guy on the cover) - seemed too extravagant to be a bootleg. But I read below that it was never available in stores. Have I just got a very rare original, or is it a bootleg after all?

William
10-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Julian privately self-released it, so it wasn't widely available or commercially released but it was available so its likely the copy you have of it is an original. Its going to be commercially issued on Merge records sometime though.

Belliah_Gallons
10-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Hello Hello

Sorry it's been so long. The truth is that there have been two small handmade batches of the 2nd Imaginary Symphony For Cloudmaking. Both are different, and both were made while in truth, I was still working on the record. Yours is from the 2nd batch, I was living in Brooklyn. It was beautiful. That leaf came from the tree that lived outside my window. A great tree.

I think I shared those batches in the same spirit that my friends and I have always made versions of the albums we were working on for eachother while they were still in progress. It's just kinda fun. It's finaly through maturing and the final version ready to be sent out in the world for once and for all. You will find some dramatic differences. All the music concrete work has been completed and filled in, and all of the orchestration has been mixed and finaly arranged...

I hope these words find you all well. Take care everybody

Julian

BigBlackSmoke
10-27-2004, 08:10 PM
isnt there an album coming out too, julian? something with tornado in the title..i think..any updates on this?

libraryland
11-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Julian:

I was traveling in a car from Ny while the 2nd Symphony was being broadcasted on WNYC. Was it 2002 or 3? It has taken me forever to get the right search going so I could finally connect and get some leads on who made that sound. Because the music left me stunned, I had no concrete pointers to you.
After thinking for so long that the music i heard was just some kind of dream, I know hear from the creator himself!

Is there someway that i can get a copy now?
There is a very stange reason connected directly to the theme of Cloudmaking that makes having it soon a vital need.

Libraryland
PS I am from Brooklyn. Slate sidewalks, wrought iron fences.....

Julian
12-07-2004, 08:19 PM
Hello Everybody

Once again I must say sorry it's been so long.
Libraryland, please do e mail holidaywaistcoat@yahoo.com. I only have access to the internet on great occasion, but check it always when I can. The broadcast of the 2nd Imaginary Symphony came as a complete and wonderful suprise to me (there were so few copies in the world). I was on a bus on the way to see my Grandmother. It was snowing outside. A friend called me and said "Julian, Nigh's on the radio!" He held the phone up to the speaker. It gave me the most wonderful warm fealing, imagining Nigh and Mr. Ackerman in the air, bouncing off buildings, vibrating in people's spoons...

The final touches on the records have been delayed by the final illness and passing of my Grandfather, much of which I was present for. Don't let this be sad. He had a good death. He was ready, and, surrounded by people he loved. This summer past he worked for several weeks with me on the mechanical engineering of the latest Music Tapes Machine despite his illnesses altzhiemers-like symptoms. We had a wonderful time together. I'm going to build the Machine this year, It's our machine. I hope to get back to the records later this month, and send them packing as quickly as possible. I'm excited to share them at last. Thanks for all of your patience.

happy holidays and best wishes to you all

julian

call me hi
12-07-2004, 08:56 PM
that's really beautiful. waiting for something so awesome has never been easier.