PDA

View Full Version : Hail To The Thief.

William
06-04-2003, 10:41 AM
Well, its coming out within the next week. Any Radiohead fans? They were my favorite band before I discovered Neutral Milk Hotel. I still like them alot. I think their next album is going to be very good. I listened to the first 2 songs on MTV.com's ''The Leak''. It seems like everyone has already heard the whole thing before me. At first glance it sounds much better then OK Computer. I have all their albums, so far Kid A. is my favorite. I can already tell you before I've even heard the whole thing within the next week it will be Hail To The Thief.

Lizardboy
06-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I've never been that much of a fan to be honest but I've heard the new album and it's really good by their standards. Not sure how existing fans will view it.

Freakboy
06-04-2003, 04:54 PM
i love radiohead theyre crazy.
yeah ive heard about the new cd i was asking for it from a few of my friends as an early birthday present.

ralphie
06-05-2003, 08:21 AM
oo, yes i cant wait until it comes out... ive heard the whole thing [my friend has it] and its really good, a bit different than the other cds, but thats how radiohead is

grimble gromble
06-05-2003, 09:53 AM
i can't wait till it's out. radiohead is one of the very few bands that are still playing together that i absolutely love. i saw them on their last US tour - twice in NYC - on some little island next to the Statue of Liberty. They are soooo good. I highly highly highly recommend catching them on their upcoming tour!

the album was leaked to the web a while back... but it's not the final mixed/mastered album. so i've avoided downloading it for fear of spoiling my first impression...

:)

friend
06-05-2003, 10:47 AM
dude, i was at the same show! so awesome.

abstrick
06-05-2003, 12:41 PM
kid a, that wasn't really radiohead. Was it?

William
06-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Kid A. was Thom Yorke's solo project under the name Radiohead, and using the other members of Radiohead here and there...

grimble gromble
06-05-2003, 01:54 PM
what??? Kid A along with Amnesiac were both Radiohead albums, not Thom Yorke's solo projects under the Radiohead name. where did you hear they were 'solo project' works?

William
06-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Twas' a joke - sort of. Thom Yorke did most of everything on Kid A., and Amnesiac so sometimes its refered to as his Solo albums.. Hail To The Thief is susposed to be more of a whole-band effort.

grimble gromble
06-05-2003, 04:12 PM
i'm curious where you heard that William... i've always heard that those two albums were whole-band efforts.

William
06-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Most recently - this weeks issue of Time Magazine..theres an interview with the band. It says that Thom Yorke pretty much took over the whole Kid A./Amnesiac recording sessions, and on the recording of 'Hail To The Thief' Thom Yorke had a different attitude, and the band shared the creative process more. I can't remember exactly where I heard the term ''Thom Yorke's solo album'' but it was on some internet review.

nervesandgel
06-05-2003, 05:50 PM
i saw someone on the at ease message board. how cute. i know everything in its right place was recorded just by thom with nigel at his side. and i know a lot of the band didin't exactly work together on the songs, but instead added things while others weren't around. i think thom starts most the songs though. i could be wrong though.

anyways i'm not too fond of hail to the theif, its got some really good songs on it but no consistantsy. plus i bought the there there single and the b-sides are really good. why aren't they on the album instead of that backdrifts crap?

acrobat
06-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Blur did "a couple" of marvellous records?? Only if by "a couple" you mean "at least four."

acrobat
06-07-2003, 07:27 PM
what's up Half--yeah, good choices man, those records are brilliant, as are Blur (their best in my opinion) and 13. My opinion of course. That's unfortunate that you weren't interested listening more to the later records though--the singles are definitely not the highlights of the albums..

I'm not sure how Blur "bandwagons" though--radically changing, yes, but not particularly trendy. They pretty much invented modern Brit-pop (not solely but they were at the forefront with a small handful of other bands), and their last two efforts do not have much in the form of compatriots in modern music--very novel stuff. Maybe you could say they were being somewhat trendy with [/i]Blur[/i] in '97, but that record is so unmistakably "Blur-esque" in its undertones that it's difficult to say that they were simply "copping a movement" (though they were defintely influenced by the American underground at that point in their music-making).

dolemites_sister
06-08-2003, 04:19 AM
I love Blur, well until 13. There are a few good songs on 13, but not as many as the other albums had. I would have to say Parklife and Modern Life are my favorite Blur albums. They are awesome live too! I've seen them 3 times and Damon is crazy! He climbed up the stacks on the stage!

Anyhow, radiohead's earlier stuff is good. I love The Bends and Ok Computer. After that, I really haven't heard too much.
j

Randi
06-08-2003, 01:51 PM
I downloaded the (unfinished) album about two months ago and haven't been able to stop listening to it.

I think this is their best album yet.

friend
06-09-2003, 10:21 AM
i actually think 13 is one of their best. parklife too. and the new one is very nice. what do u guys think of gorillaz? i like it. have you heard mali music?

ralphie
06-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Randi
I downloaded the (unfinished) album about two months ago and haven't been able to stop listening to it.

I think this is their best album yet.

i just bought the real deal [its a special edition too] and i have to say the finished product is even better than that fake one. i was surprised that they did anything to it, i didnt know they were going to change anything. but there are main parts that have been changed up a lot... all for the better

[Edited on 6-9-2003 by ralphie]

William
06-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Is there anything that special about the Special Edition version? If there is I might get it, but if its just a slightly different cover I'll pass for the slightly cheaper version.

dolemites_sister
06-10-2003, 03:07 AM
I haven't been able to buy the new one yet. I've heard mixed things about it, but I will still probably get it. I think the Gorillaz stuff is really creative, but its just not my thing.

I would also have to agree that Graham Coxon's first solo album is really good (I actually didn't know their was another one). I wish he hadn't left the band. Its kinda like when Matt Sharp left Weezer. I can't imagine what they would be like without him, and in Weezer's case, I don't like what they are without him.

j

channelfan
06-12-2003, 07:13 AM
i love 'hail to the thief'. i waited patiently and didn't listen to any of the leaks so i could take it all in. as with the past 2 albums, i had to listen to it a few times to catch on but once you get it you can't get enough. it really is a combo of all their albums so far. you can take any song and say 'that's like pablo-bendish' or 'that's like ok-kid a ish', etc. but it all comes together wonderfully.

Politician
06-16-2003, 05:14 AM
Radiohead seem a bit hollow to me but they did do some nice tracks

I've heard the name Nigel Godrich who's up there with Pol Pot and Sadaam in the opinion of some hardcore music fans

channelfan
06-16-2003, 06:28 AM
i think nigel was born to produce radiohead. however his work with pavement is iffy. his work with beck is good. he ruined travis in my opinion. their first lp rocked hard, then he takes them under his wing and basically turns them into somewhat cool but often times schmoozy boy band.