PDA

View Full Version : Confusion

dougcampbell
06-04-2003, 03:53 AM
I downloaded The Benefits of Lying (with your friend) and I absolutely loved it. I went out and bought an Apples in Stereo album, and bought Velocity of Sound. It's totally different from what I was expecting. Can anyone explain the disparity between earlier Apples in Stereo and more recent?

floating norman
06-04-2003, 07:32 AM
i'm not sure exactly. velocity of sound is the first apples release i haven't purchased for the same reason. i really like all their stuff (benefits of lying is from the ep "her wallpaper reverie", which is amazing) up until velocity. i heard an interview with robert recently, on MTV no less, where he mentions that he's tired of "old stuff" and wanted their sound to be a bit more modern. this really turned me off and made me even less inclined to buy velocity. if you go out and buy science faire, fun trick noisemaker, tone soul evolution, her wallpaper reverie, and a discovery of the world inside the moone, i am sure you will love them all. they are all FULL of GREAT songs. hope that helps a little. :)

[Edited on 6-4-2003 by floating norman]

grimble gromble
06-04-2003, 09:22 AM
i completely agree. while i've really tried to be patient with VOS, it really doesn't hit me like the other albums do. the first 5 albums all blew me away. i understand the bands decision to venture into a different sound, but it's not the sound i love them for.

dougcampbell
06-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks. I wish I'd known that before I'd bought it..
But I actually dug Baroque.. it rocked.

oblio
06-04-2003, 12:58 PM
i am of the opinion that baroque and rainfall are 2 of their best songs ever

dolemites_sister
06-04-2003, 02:52 PM
I haven't purchased VOS yet, but I just love the old stuff so much, its hard to imagine some of the things I've read. But I will probably purchase it anyway, sometime.

Old stuff is so good! Tone Soul Evolution and Her Wallpaper... are my personal faves!

j

acrobat
06-05-2003, 05:58 PM
I completely disagree with a lot of the sentiment expressed thus far (not an indict or anything, I just feel strongly about this). I think Velocity of Sound is wonderful--my second favorite Apples actually. In most of the interviews I read (I dont watch much MTV, so I didnt see the interview of which f. norman speaks) Robert said that the band was trying to achieve the sound and vitality of their live show on record without fully discarding their distinctive style--something they really hadn't tried to do in earnest before. I think the record is brilliant--I dont think songcraft is sacrificed, and at the same time the energy is unmistakable. And I fully concur with Oblio, "Baroque" and "Rainfall" are so beautiful it's borderline criminal (as are "Where We Meet" and "Mystery"). As far as recorded output, I like "Science Faire" the best, and for proper LPs, "Fun Trick Noisemaker" is my favorite, but "Velocity of Sound" is a strong #2 for their studio albums in my opinion. Amazing record.

adeline
06-05-2003, 06:14 PM
It's hard not to see patterns in bands fan-forums. A lot of people get to dissing the new things that bands do... and while it is hard for fans to adjust to a new style or even a couple of minor production changes, what matters is that the band aren't gunna be happy doin' the same old stuff they've always done (which is awesome, and i love all the back catalogue). VOS isn't my favorite, but it'll take time to adjust, and it takes a lot of musical integrity to not want to keep just pleasing everyone else with your music... i think the change is good, and everything they've brought out, and continue to bring out will be stellar. xo

floating norman
06-06-2003, 06:25 AM
just to clarify, i saw a tape my friend had made of the 120 min. mtv show they were on. (i don't get cable by choice) i don't mean to "diss" them personally for the album, as i'm sure that would be very rude to people who have been so nice to me every time i've seen them. it just seems that some e6 bands have lost a bit of the magic that drew me to them in the first place. the first few times i saw the apples (with chris still in the lineup) were just completely amazing, so i guess i'm saying it's more a matter of my personal taste. i like the whole "wall of sound" idea where there are so many sounds going on that it's like a party in your eardrums. the whole garage thing is nice and all, but a lot easier to come by these days than orchestrated psych-pop with brilliant harmonies and truly great songs. i was never a fan just because the apples were the apples, but because of the ideology of the music and the unique way they bring it. anyway, not to rant or "diss" anyone, just my opinion.

dolemites_sister
06-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Well, and its all fine and good for them to explore and do new things with their music. I think that's great! But just because you don't like something as much as some of the other stuff a band does, doesn't necessarily mean you are "dissing" them. Just from what I've heard of the new album, I believe I like the old stuff better.

An opinion that's all.. For what its worth..

j

bu-bu-bumm
06-06-2003, 04:04 PM
i think when a band does something like "wallpaper", it set the bar pretty high. i've been trying to dig vos, but just can't. not because it sucks, but because the other stuff was so great. the apples had a lot of different styles before, but always had the apple sound. to me vos doesn't have that sound and sounds like a different band.

Vauseaholic
06-16-2003, 05:50 PM
I agree very much with what Adeline (sorry I'm spelling from memory so it may be wrong) said about the trend on message boards. I'm a big radiohead fan as well and I was at their boards and I heard nothing but dissing of the new album which after a few listens I'm really into. Anyway, VOS isn't my favourite apples album (I love Science Faire and Fun Trick Noisemaker) but I still think it's fun I suppose it's ok not to like the direction a band takes but the fact that a band decided to try something always makes me excited- plus I still like Velocity of Sound!!

Vauseaholic
06-16-2003, 05:51 PM
oh yeah I also very much love BENEFITS OF LYING (WITH A FRIEND) I think that along with Silvery Light of a Dream (pt2) are my favourite apples songs

SpaceGoat
06-18-2003, 10:17 AM
VOS is pure Apples.

I too was taken slightly aback upon first listen. But then I've been taken aback upon every album's first listen. (I didn't think I would end up liking Science Faire but there are some excellent songs on there.)

The fuzztones on VOS are out of this world. The whole album is very energetic and my only criticism is that Robert sounds like he's 14 and a half years old through most of it. Oh, and I want more songs by Hilarie.

"20 Cases Suggestive Of..." is my favorite Apples song! More Hilarie!!!

Kent
06-18-2003, 04:17 PM
Velocity of Sound is what the Apples are about and what they've always been about. I've had the unique expirience of seeing them grow over the years, from a punky garage trio in the early 90's at the Cricket in Denver to the 60's infested psychedelia of Wallpaper. They've come full circle and it is good.

cheers
Kent