PDA

View Full Version : a topic for us

Freakboy
06-03-2003, 03:11 PM
here at the boards we talk about apples stuck in stereos and hotels made of milk which are indifferent and about how great lakes full of powerful elves are and such, but what about us? lets start a topic for the fans to get to know eachother better and make new friends.
I know many people from back before the message board got switched but i dont really KNOW them. so tell stuff about yourselves (even if their rediculous)
im 14 i live in honolulu hawaii and i was harassed very much when i was young which has turned me into a chaotic and sometimes apathetic rebelious goth-wanabe teenager who smoked mugwort cuz its legal. I am hypoctritical and i hate all the music i write and my voice even though my good friend lauren says its wonderful. i like some of my songs like "Hands covered in Honey and Hives" and "Through her Teeth" and like that but i cant write like jeff mangum so thusly i dislike my writing even though i wouldnt want to write just like him b/c that would make NMH less unique (and less good) so i keep trying to find my own.
Anyway i have embraced the silliness now and i walk around cackling and saying "get your bear out from that cave before it dies and festers" and telling people at school that hurt my feelings that im going to rip their heads off and bury it underground then 20 years later dig the skulls up and pee on it then make his children eat it and other terrible terrible things like that to make myself feel better. so what about you people? you all seem like lovely people.

dolemites_sister
06-03-2003, 03:36 PM
I am a 27 year old married chemist from Chattanooga TN. I have a sweet kitty named Lucy, and I am getting ready to get a guinea pig from the animal shelter. I adore animals!

Let's see here... Also, if money where no object I would open a vintage clothing/record store.

My husband is in college getting a graphic design degree (he's 28), and after he gets out of school we are going to ride off into the sunset (destination unknown at this time).

Another thing about me is I love kids. I want to teach after my hubby gets out of school, because I feel like I would help people more than with what I am doing now (although gold bond powder is helping people in some form or fashion, I suppose).

jenny

muskogee
06-03-2003, 03:40 PM
dolemites sister,
did you go to that of montreal/marshmallow coast show several years back in chatanooga when they played at that scary old black panthers hotel? I was there with my wife and we had a video camera shining a big old light on the band.

perfectbrokenmirror
06-03-2003, 04:16 PM
i'm a 16 year old junior in high school who spends her life searching for answers. i love theatre and i'm extremely concerned about the environment. hence i plan on doing a double major in theatre and environmental science with a possible minor in architecture or some form of art. art is great. i love photography but hate my class. being in the darkroom alone with great lyrics emanating from the cd player is the best feeling ever. sometimes i just sit in there with my best friend samantha (the only person, besides ryan duff, that understands me and i understand her...we all understand eachother). envy is by far the worst trait ever and i seem to have to much of it.....ummm i take way to many college classes and my calc class was cancelled. i try to live in the moment but i usually end up living in the future. making damn 5 year plans etc. i love to read too - sylvia plath, truman capote, jake kerouac, nick hornby, shakespeare, adrienne kennedy (to name a few of my favorite authors). i also have this great affinity for languages. i speak spanish and french (still learning) and i want to learn russian next. at this moment i'm supposed to be studying for my SAT II writing exam. my ultimate wish in life is just to leave. to pack up one day and go somewhere and not know where i'm going to sleep or what i'm going to do each day. the enneagram is a great time waster. i have an underused root chakra (its amusing if you know what it is and what you have to do to open it). oh yes, i dislike my photo teacher and my english teacher needs to retire and i just want to sit for hours and talk to him if he would talk to me. i write "poetry". i need to get a record player and a job but i'm to picky. i would love to open a record store (like jenn) and a coffee house but since i'm going to leaving in a year i won't. i also think that vodka one of the best alcoholic beverages...and godiva liquor=yummy. yes i break laws. i've also smoked and decided that i would become a chain smoker if it was to become a habit so i'm not going to let that happen...hopefully...but i doubt that i'll be able to control it. anyways...i think i'm done enough ranting.

c.s.

oh ya...i sing and play piano. i really want to learn how to play guitar and i know a few chords but i get frustrated and give up - an indication of my patience level. AND my best moments in school are spent lying on the floor of the practice rooms listening to music (this is my substitution for the darkroom).

[Edited on 3-6-03 by perfectbrokenmirror]

opopopo
06-03-2003, 06:29 PM
um, ok, me... you think this would be easier but im currently unaware as to who i am, and spend way too much time trying to figure out who i am, and probably not enough time just being. i guess the basics are that my name is heather, which i hate, and im 17, which i hate less, and i live in Canada, which i'd love if a decent band would come here now and then.
the future for me is no clearer than cement. i'll probably end up a teacher who starts out thinking she'll be different from all the teachers she had and be wonderful to the children, but then end up a grumpy vindictive old bat who spends all her free time in a dimly lit room writing a novel that will never get published and thinking about how misunderstood she is. maybe. who knows.
im a fountain of useless knowledge, and an expert at most gameshows unless they require actual knowledge or skills of somesort.
as some of you know, my greatest and silliest talent is that i can say "where's the beef" in 15 languages (if any of you are real geeks and speak klingon, i need to talk to you! or any other languages...), my goal is to be able to say it in 50, and i cant use silly translation things, only people.
im way to good of a kid, dont smoke, dont drink, no drugs... im messed up enough as it is :P

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
06-03-2003, 07:47 PM
I like to think of it as "Apathy Edge". Not quite as fierce as "straught edge" but it smells nicer.

ralphie
06-03-2003, 08:27 PM
hey everyone, this is my first post on the board, but ive been a huge fan of nmh and beulah, and others for years now...
and i thought this would be the best thread to get started :)

im 18 and dont know how to play any instrament, and i cant sing. but im a good listener :D
my life is art, thats all i do. i make art. i mostly work with acrylic, but i do everything from sewing to writing, which is a new interest of mine. ill admit im not very good, but its a relaxing thing to do.

i also garden and read a lot of books. ive cut back a lot on my computer useage, to make time for things that matter, and have had more full days than ever before... before i had a computer that is.

but um.... thats pretty much me.

friend
06-04-2003, 06:38 AM
i'm 29 years old and my name is brian. i've lived in ny/nyc all my life. i'm moving to seattle in 4 weeks. this is crazy and good and scary. i make music with and without people, which is my favorite thing to do along with listening. i have many amazing friends that i am thankful for. growing spiritually continues to be my main goal. i am deeply interested in ways of accumulating energy, increasing perception, and healing. i think my new roomate has found us a new apartment, which is exciting. now i need to find a job as well as get a million things done for this move!

oblio
06-04-2003, 06:55 AM
my name is david. i am 20, i will be 21 on June the 10th. i currently work as a software programmer. i felt trapped in my job and life up until last saturday night. i write songs under the moniker: "Fistful of Nature Death". The name comes from my obsession with all things north, desolation and coldness. I live in Montreal Quebec. It is a good city but i desperately need to escape. I will probably move to the west. I am trying to convince my girlfriend to come with me, but she doesn't seem too keen on the idea. I have learned this week that if you wish to gain power, you must surrender.

ladylamentingonalawnchair
06-04-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm Suzanne. I'm 23 years old, live in Minneapolis, and next year will be writing a dissertation about wax museums. One day I will open up a bakery in northern Minnesota, Michigan or Wisconsin, and I will also keep goats. I write poetry and read constantly and voraciously. My great sadness is that I'm a terrible musician, and so I have taken up lots of instruments with low skill thresholds, such as the aeolian harp.

friend
06-04-2003, 11:32 AM
hey oblio, that's awesome that you don't feel trapped any more at your job. sounds like an big breakthrough.

Freakboy
06-04-2003, 02:30 PM
oh i thought id be the most interesting
:(
poo-dogs..

dolemites_sister
06-04-2003, 02:49 PM
I forgot a few things.... :)

I'm a trumpet player. I enjoy the trumpet very much.

I'm also a beer fan! I love a good beer with a good yummy pizza! I also love a bad beer with a frozen pizza.. I'm not real picky. There was one occasion on the old board where my hubby was on the phone for a long time, and I got poopfaced and posted a bunch of dumb things like, "Wee Beer is fun!" I apologize for that still.

And hey, Sarahe!

We should open a record/vintage clothing store/coffee house! How cool would that be! We could bring all our favorite bands their to play!

Hmmm... Sounds like a plan to me! :)

j;)

AND muskogee! I was certainly at that show at Lamar's! Scary place, but it definetly has a lot of character! Did you drive in from somewhere or what? We used to go to all of those shows back then!

[Edited on 6-4-2003 by dolemites_sister]

floating norman
06-04-2003, 02:53 PM
i am 26 and scary and old. i have a beatuiful 27 year old wife and equally beautiful 5 year old son. they are both smarter than i am, so i never win. i've always seemed to place somwhere in the middle of everything. i love to play any instrument i can get my hands on, to sing, to paint, to think long and hard about things. i feel very blessed to have anything at all, and i attribute anything i've accomplished to God who is so good to me. of course, as ringo starr said, just getting up in the morning is quite an accomplishment. i worry a lot that people think of me as too shy, too tall, too proud, too loud, to quiet, etc. so i can relate to the awkward silence. i have experienced a lot of that. i love to play the guitar while ashen (my son) sings abc's, mary had a little lamb, or yellow submarine. i love to look at wendy's (my wife) paintings because they are amazing. i try to treat everyone equally, but usually fail from trying too hard. gram parsons and merle haggard are my 2 favorite current listens. olivia tremor control and circulatory system are who i have probably spent the most time listening to in my life. okay, that's all i can think of.

bedbug
06-04-2003, 03:33 PM
I'm 24 years old in live in Newport, KY which is about 1 mile (however wide the Ohio river is?) south of Cincinnati. I have a B.A. in English, and work in a public library, where the only drawback is the mind-numbing boringness (hence the messageboards), but at least it's not an evil corporation or something. I live in an awesome (at least I think) apartment with my girlfriend and our two cats.

I love music (obviously) and am (obviously) obsessed with E6. My favorites are OTC and the Circulatory System (Will Hart's the coolest!). Lately I've been listening to Black Foliage, and the concerts on elephant6.com. Beulah and the Minders were probably the first Elephant 6 bands I liked, but now I dig 'em all (I think I listened to Aeroplane every single day last fall!).

Like everyone else on the board I play music too. I play in a three piece rock band called Haleymill, but more and more I'm frustrated with playing live and just like to record (you can also find me on the tape op board). I've got an 8 track and some mics and stuff. I'd one day like to something along the lines of the Olivia records, maybe not in terms of writing and singing, but more like with the interesting sounds and the left/right panning and the stoner appeal. I've had the chance to open for the Minders and the Circulatory System, and both were awesome! I set up the Circulatory show, and it was really hectic with them arriving late (ahem) and everything, but they were super nice!

I think that covers everything. I pretty much just sit at the reference desk at the library and daydream about my 8-track. I also love (using) parenthesis.

muskogee
06-04-2003, 03:55 PM
dolemites sister,
it was the year of 98 i believe or early 99, my wife, kimberly, and i were on our way to kentucky to see some friends, but i had missed of montreal the last time they had come to austin, so we saw dropped off in chattanooga on our way their to see them. then we went to ruby falls, and it made me think of that johnny cash song. anyway, if i remember right, there weren't very many people at that show, so we were probably sitting next to each other.

dolemites_sister
06-05-2003, 04:10 AM
This is probably true! That's pretty neat! Chattanooga is a pretty city, but their isn't much for the indie fans here. We used to get tons of shows here, although not many people would come. We have had Olivia Tremor Control, Ladybug Transistor, Neutral Milk Hotel, Elf Power, and of course Of Montreal. We've also had Cat Power, Fuck, and some other good bands here... We're trying to get the scene going around here again.

Anyhow, back in 99 I had straight long blonde hair, and I was probably with my shaggy haired blonde soon to be husband!

j

acrobat
06-07-2003, 04:43 PM
ok--probably won't say much, but, here goes..

I'm 21 years old, and just graduated from college with degrees in Biology and Philosophy. I'll be starting medical school in the Fall, so that should be interesting. Um, music is nice, as is sleeping. I love Looney Tunes, and CSPAN is probably the best channel ever. Garfield is the best comic strip ever (although the last 3-4 years have been terribly sub-par for Jim Davis' strip!) Let's see, I like historical fiction and fantasy books (Herman Wouk is huge, as are L. Frank Baum and Lloyd Alexander). I debated in high school, and high school debate (and speech) is by far the most rewarding activity I've ever been involved in--I suggest you high schoolers look into it if you have the chance!! Um, I play recorder, clarinet, and alto saxophone. Unfortunately, I'm extremely clumsy with my hands so I'm terrible at two instruments I would love to be better at (piano and guitar, I'm looking at you!). I guess I was just always more of a woodwinds person. I love chess, definitely my favorite game. I have a German Shepherd dog (really, he has us)--he's great, but headstrong.

The best band ever is the Beatles. Followed by Guided By Voices. And there are a lot of other nifty bands as well. As far as E6, Olivia Tremor Control reigns supreme. Those who claim otherwise are simply fooling themselves ;)

God Bless you all. Tata!

friend
06-12-2003, 07:38 AM
happy birthday oblio!