View Full Version : KINDERCORE SINGLES CLUB - IMPORTANT INFO FOR SUBSCRIBERS

JerodTeleCore
05-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Hi everyone,

This is Jerod Gunsberg from Kindercore. How's it going? I'm the
label manager here at Kindercore now (have been for some time, but
this is the first time I've posted to this group). I wanted to say
hey to everyone, and let you all know that we've finally got a
solution to the whole Kindercore debacle.

As you have now figured out, the singles club is dead in the water.
You are all owed a sincere apology and music in your mailbox as soon
as possible. A full explanation is forthcoming from Dan and Ryan,
but in meantime here's what we are doing to resolve the issue with all
of you.

We are making a special Kindercore Singles Club CD called THE GREAT
SINGLES CLUB SWINDLE. It will have unreleased songs from The
Sunshine Fix, Essex Green, Call and Response and Ashley Park. It
will also have some highlights from the singles club including
Masters of the Hemisphere, Of Montreal, Ladybug Transistor, Dressy
Bessy, Great Lakes, Elf Power, Japancakes, and I Am The World Trade
Center. On top of all this there will be bonus songs from Joseph
Plunkett and The Weight, Good Friday Experiment, Something About
Vampires and Sluts, and The Aeffect.

We're putting this CD into manufacturing very soon and everyone
should have it by the end of the summer. But before we do that, and
since its been so long, we're trying to gather as many people as
possible from the singles club to email us and verify their name and
address so we don't end up sending a bunch of CDs to places where
many of you may not live anymore.

Pleae email your name, current postal, and current email address to
info@k... We will check it against the database and make
all the appropriate updates. In about 3 weeks I'll be able to give
you a more exact date as to when to expect the CDs.

Thanks for everyone's patience and thanks for helping us get back in
touch with all of you. Again, you are all owed a really sincere
apology and you will see a full explanation from Dan and Ryan. We
hope this helps make things right with you all.

-Jerod Gunsberg
Kindercore Records

channelfan
05-29-2003, 06:20 AM
for cryin out loud in the early morning sun, what's it been, like 3 YEARS or something? maybe this should have happened the year subscribers got left out in the cold.
sorry but even if this 'special' cd actually arrives in my box, it won't change the fact that i see kindercore as a joke of a label now.
"hey, lets rip off our most loyal customers and not say a thing about it for a couple years"
"ooooh, lets cash in on the garage rock trend! lets put a skull in our logo, then 'kindercore' will sound like a tuff label."
ha, that provides a hearty laugh every time i see it.

oblio
05-29-2003, 07:15 AM
can i have your cd channelfan

channelfan
05-29-2003, 07:54 AM
i never said i wouldn't listen to the cd, but i'll be glad to burn it for you if i get it.

[Edited on 5-29-2003 by channelfan]

oblio
05-29-2003, 09:14 AM
i love you matt p

please just rip the of montreal song, that's all i am really interested in from that label.

wizardcombat
05-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Kindercore used to be so cool, too...
F***in' Stroke-rs!

dolemites_sister
05-29-2003, 01:58 PM
Yeah.. I hope they don't completely abandon the other bands (the GOOD bands) on the label!

Old school Kindercore is so damn good! (Kincaid, etc..)

floating norman
05-29-2003, 02:09 PM
t'would be nice to have 'em back, but i guess all good things eventually either come to an end or turn bad. take the band sloan for instance, what happened to them these last couple of lp's? has anyone heard clips of the new songs for the upcoming release? it's sad, really.

el topo
05-29-2003, 07:36 PM
I was one of those who were "swindled," and I can't believe some of you are complaining. I mean, don't you guys have bigger things to gripe about? Haven't you been watching the news the last couple months? And instead you're picking on some guys at an indie label? Jeez! I'm probably starting a fight, but...you ungrateful jerks who can't take an apology make me mad. Grrr.

And Kindercore is still putting out great music--didn't you read the post about the new Dressy Bessy album coming out this August?

dolemites_sister
05-30-2003, 03:15 AM
Its just the principle of the whole thing, that's all. It just seems like they are getting away from the things that made them so good. I'm not crazy about the new bands. And I just hope they don't for some reason drop the old bands altogether (which is a rumor that I heard somewhere)...

j

channelfan
05-30-2003, 06:13 AM
el topo -
i think if you actually knew me you probably wouldn't call me an 'ungrateful jerk'. anyway, we're all intitled to our own opinions, correct?

William
06-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Theres 2 kinds of Kindercore bands. Theres the Kindercore bands on the happy multi-coloured label, and the ones on the Black Skull label. There are more on the happy multi-coloured label, so don't be mad at the poor happy multi-coloured label for being friends with the black skull label.

William
06-07-2003, 05:12 PM
I just checked..there on Astralwerks..

Heres the Kindercore lineup:

Kindercore Records - http://www.kindercore.com/images/finalslices01.gif

Dressy Bessy
I Am The World Trade Center
Of Montreal
Vermont
Masters Of The Hemisphere
(The Real) Tuesday Weld
The Four Corners
The Essex Green
Japancakes

Kindercore Record - http://www.kindercore.com/images/finalslices12.gif

The Agenda
Maserati
Paper Lions
Jet By Day

theSprout
06-08-2003, 04:13 AM
ahh.. knee-jerk 'you don't know me' and 'i'm entitled to my own opinion' posts. really.. i thought we'd evolved from usenet flame posting... so i'm going to skip merrily along, throwing petals like kate bush on steroids [me, being a man, you see..] spreading, peace, love and asking for a little temperance. any reaction to posts like this is just a big old can of worms syndrome.. for instance, rhetorically i'd ask;

- does a record label's entire roster need to please by one persons demands? i mean, you can't expect to like every band on a label, and if you do that's a wee bit on the musical elitist side, surely.. i can't say i've heard the 'garage rock' side of the kindercore label, but well, if you don't like it, i guess one just doesn't buy those records.

- secondly, and i ask this innocently, did you guys who do feel cheated officially pursue the lack of singles club follow-up? and i am assuming that you lost $ in this.. of course if you didn't, one has little recourse for flaming a statement here.

- as for principles, how far does the label contravene what we all thought it stood for? its a business, after all. it pretends to be nothing less.

i'm just trying to ask for a little bit more temperance. you can state your opinion without verbally, or textually, assaulting someone who comes to you, hat in hand. if you feel strongly, air your opinions, but if anybody, in either camp, gets reactionary about it, all you're doing is opening yourself for attack..

i'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but diplomacy and discussion generally doesn't utilise expletives [though this'd all go out the window, i suspect, were i too meet GWB. such a nice fuckwit]

ahem

uhm..

[Edited on 8-6-2003 by theSprout]

dolemites_sister
06-08-2003, 04:23 AM
King of Convienience used to be on Kindercore. Yes, they are very very good!

I'm dissappointed that their aren't more of the multicolored Kindercore bands at Athfest this year. I know Sunshine Fix is going to be there, but I wish they would have a black skull night and a multicolored night, instead of 90% black skull.

(i hope you understand my terminology)
j

acrobat
06-08-2003, 07:27 PM
warning: really dumb question ahead! ;)

what's the deal with the two seperate entities?? Black skull and multicolored? It's the same company right? Any reason why they split up the bands? Just curious...gracias!

channelfan
06-09-2003, 06:20 AM
sprout
i'm not allowed to reply to people who make insults? in this case i was the one 'assaulted' so why are you down on me? talk about flaming, don't you realize you just insulted me in your post? if you're so merry and temperant, why would you have to do that?

sprout said - "does a record label's entire roster need to please by one persons demands? i mean, you can't expect to like every band on a label"

no one is saying that! the deal with ryan and dan (kindercore) is that it's too obvious they just decided to cash in on the whole garage rock trend. i mean these to guys last band together was kincaid, a nice little indie pop band, now they're all the sudden a garage rock band named the 'agenda'. hmmm.....i think the only real agenda here is to grab a piece of the trendy pie.

sprout said - "did you guys who do feel cheated officially pursue the lack of singles club follow-up?"

absolutely. i sent countless emails. just about all of them didn't generate a reply. what makes me irritated is that i was a member of kindercorps, which was just people volunteering to help promote shows when they came through town. i had direct contact with all of them, but when they didn't live up to their deal, they chose not to answer my emails.

oh and i certainly didn't use any expletives, in fact i don't see any in this entire thread.

theSprout
06-09-2003, 06:47 AM
hey channelfan (et. al.)

first up apologies... i think my motives or whatever weren't too clear, here... i guess sometimes one gets an idea and tries to put into text, but the product, sadly and inevitably, lacks the nuances originally intended. i knew what i was striving for, which was meant to be a more light-hearted, less arrogant observation on the state of play. like i said, i didn't intend to ruffle feathers.. i just was after opinions; i said of my questions, they were rhetorical in the sense they were not accusatory.

i was genuinely wondering what people thought about the whole issue of having people and labels representing your tastes. i'm sorry if 'rherotical' was deployed in, perhaps, poor relevancy. it wasn't really an attack on anyone in particular; i guess it was a bit of a poke at everyone. i do appreciate the postmodern irony of flaming you, and honestly, i have no beef with you, or your comments.. and i'm a music snob, so to accuse people of being elitist is all very kettles, pots, and blackness..

i guess i just don't like reactionary posts.. and this is not an accusation again.. one person says one thing, so the other has to take binary opposites and throw generalised reactions back and forth. i'm not saying anyone here was doing that, i was more worried it was going to occur. and the self-aggrandisation implicit in expecting people to listen was again a little ironic :)

so i am sorry, but i'd still like to know about peoples' attitudes towards record labels, and the politics of all that low down music representing they are/aren't doing..

ooh and i did get a bit preachy, too.. which i didn't set out to do. and for that i am sorry. like you say, pots, kettles and that damndable blackness again!

forgiven?
S
:(

[Edited on 9-6-2003 by theSprout]

channelfan
06-09-2003, 07:16 AM
understood. i thought your questions were quite relevant and i tried to answer them from my perspective, i'd like to hear what others think too.
although i have always gone without the various icons, i guess they do serve quite a purpose when it comes to textual conversations. so....:):D;):P
it's all good!
mp

el topo
06-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Channelfan, if it sounded like I was assaulting you, I was actually just defending Kindercore, since the new management came extending a hand as a gesture of peace and got it quickly bitten. That seemed kind of rude. I was also grateful that Kindercore plans on sending a CD to us. That seemed kind of nice and cool.

That's all.

Personally, I do miss the "golden days" of Kindercore, but it looks like they might come again (even if a lot of the older bands have understandably split). My personal favorite label of the moment is Orange Twin--that's where it's happenin' for Elephant 6 fans. But Kindercore should get the chance to make it right with us.

On a side note, I never got to see the Masters of the Hemisphere live, and that makes me very sad. Why do I pick up on these bands too late??

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
06-10-2003, 10:46 PM
You never got to see the Masters of the Hemisphere live, but you can atone and see the Mink Lungs. Gooooood pop music, it blows my mind that more E6 fans aren't just pooping their pants over them. Anywho, their live show is supposed to be amazing. And the night after tomorrow they're playing in my town that doesn't often get such excellent music, which is the only reason I mention this.
Unfortunately I'm ten seconds under age and the guy who owns the venue is a dick, but that's not the band's fault.

dolemites_sister
06-11-2003, 02:48 AM
The Masters of the Hemisphere were a very fun band! We went to their last show ever, and it was great!

Mink Lungs huh? I'll have to check them out!
j

el topo
06-11-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks, I will definitely check them out!

dolemites_sister
06-12-2003, 07:58 AM
I like the first one too.. Freemdoom is good, but it is the weaker of the other albums. I still like it a lot though, in fact I'm listening to it today! Its a concept album about a comic book they were doing.

But they are all really good to me! Definetly buy them QUICKLY! :)
j

ladylamentingonalawnchair
06-12-2003, 01:48 PM
I haven't heard the Mink Lungs, but I just recently read that a feature of their show is killing ants on an overhead projector. That really turned me off.

el topo
06-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Oh, the Masters of the Hemisphere are fantastic. All their albums are strong, although I think Protest a Dark Anniversary is their best (and probably the best album of last year). I Am Not a Freemdoom needs to grow on you, but it's rare to hear a concept album with such great melodies and hooks. I just got their first album recently, and have been listening to that a lot--it's superb but way too short. And last but not least, the Permanent Stranger EP is required listening. (My raving is done now.)

acrobat
06-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ladylamentingonalawnchair
I haven't heard the Mink Lungs, but I just recently read that a feature of their show is killing ants on an overhead projector. That really turned me off.

oh man--is that true? I was really interested in them after hearing that they sounded a lot like mid-90s Guided By Voices (my second favorite band ever), but now I'm not so sure...

dolemites_sister
06-13-2003, 01:30 AM
Now I REALLY want to check them out! Mid 90's GBV?

But the killing ants thing does disturb me quite a bit.

j

lazyi
06-23-2003, 05:11 PM
why would a label want all their bands to sound the same? besides, out of all their "new bands" only one of them is "garage rock" (the agenda)