PDA

View Full Version : next album?

le chimp
06-22-2004, 12:09 PM
i'm sure this has been talked about, but let's start fresh. 1st imaginary symphony is in my top 10 of all time favorites. when are we getting a new album. must be soon, eh? eh?

DrinkTeaEatBooks
06-22-2004, 01:19 PM
well, the 2nd Imaginary Symphony for Cloudmaking has already been created, and is very much alive on Soulseek etc - but as to whether it's an 'album' as such...

If you don't know, it's basically a children's story, about a boy named Nigh, the same boy who Julian will also be/has been making a children's film about with John Cameron Mitchell, the director of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, which is all very exciting. And there's the singing saw symphony, which doesn't look like it's going to be finished all too soon. Still, there are plenty of Music Tapes-related things going on in the near future - hold your hosses!

And I just dug up some more info on the film - it'll be an animated children's film, and John Cameron Mitchell had this to say:

MC: What's next, now that the wig's off your head? Well, the literal wig. We understand that we all wear invisible wigs, all our lives.

JCM: I'm writing a children's movie with a guy named Julian Koster, who is involved in this musical collective, Elephant 6, down in Athens, Georgia. It's about a little boy who goes to live with his blind grandmother, who has this instrument called the Grandmaphone, which is like a Mellotron. Do you know what a Mellotron is?

MC: Sort of.

JCM: You hit a key, and it sets a tape loop going. In the grandmother's case, it's this huge spiral of a keyboard, like DNA. Because she's blind, she records everything. Each tape loop is a memory of a moment in her life. She hits one key and she can hear her husband's voice on a certain morning, though he's dead now. Another key is her as a child, singing. So she plays these chords, and the little boy realizes he's part of this keyboard. And he finds some keys that are his father's life. A letter from his father from Vietnam, among other things. And the boy himself is in there now.

I like that. It sounds lovely.

[Edited on 22-6-2004 by DrinkTeaEatBooks]

le chimp
06-23-2004, 01:34 PM
yeah, yeah, i've listened to 2nd imaginary symphony for cloudmaking and absolutely loved it. i was aware of all of those projects but forgot exactly what they were and when they would be. i guess i was looking for a "proper" album with with music and sings and songs and fun. but either way i'll take what i can get whenever i can get it. grandmaphone. what an imagination in that melon.

icarus
06-23-2004, 02:23 PM
I've listened to the 2nd symphony on real player from a radio website but you say it is on Soulseek? Do you have it, and if so, what's your username? I would really like to put this on a cd. Thanks.

DrinkTeaEatBooks
06-24-2004, 02:04 PM
My name on Soulseek is, rather predictably, DrinkTeaEatBooks.

Though I'm not online all that often...

Bellia
06-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Hello

I just wanted to let you know that Music Tapes for Clouds and Tornado's, the song album (14 songs to be exact) is about done. The final completely compleated version of the 2nd Imaginary Symphony is as well; and both will begin their journy to official release soon (it's a wonder the good people of Merge records haven't collectively strangled me by now).

Also, for the record, the story John mentions in that interview is another earlier story we had written into a script. The story that's bouncing around in that strange tinsely town right now tells another tale entirely, though this one features our good friend Nigh as well, and who knows, by the time this is all over with, it may yet tell another.

best wshes everybody

Julian

uncle eggma
09-17-2004, 04:41 PM
well that answers my question...on whether julian would continue to release his recordings through the merge label.

DrinkTeaEatBooks
09-18-2004, 09:47 AM
I just found out that my estranged father was gay, my girlfriend's currently living about 100 miles away from me, and I won't see her for a fortnight and one of my favourite bands just split.

But I was just reminded of the new Music Tapes projects.

It's now a good week :)

Thankyou Julian

call me hi
09-23-2004, 09:12 AM
so....weak......need......new......the......music. .......ta.......pes........album. w.......h.......e.......n...........?

William
04-11-2005, 01:02 PM
THE MUSIC TAPES are my favorite band.

langdon
04-21-2005, 09:28 AM
I know all of these posts were made quite a while ago, but if anyone still has this "2nd imaginary symphony for cloudmaking" or any other "new" material, could you possibly upload it somewhere or let me know your soulseeky screenname. Mine is langdonallger, please?

[Edited on 4-21-2005 by langdon]

call me hi
04-21-2005, 12:18 PM
langdon allger. that's funny

wingedfeetxc
04-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by langdon
I know all of these posts were made quite a while ago, but if anyone still has this "2nd imaginary symphony for cloudmaking" or any other "new" material, could you possibly upload it somewhere or let me know your soulseeky screenname. Mine is langdonallger, please?

[Edited on 4-21-2005 by langdon]

yeah, i would quite possibly kill to get my hands on the 2nd imaginary symphony.....

Lusitania
04-21-2005, 02:44 PM
i have cloudmaking. AIM me (neutralmilk1945)
as for the other new one, no clue.

Christophe dininski
04-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't kill for another release by the music tapes , that is just absurd.

But i would be interested in someones thoughts on the 2nd imaginary Symphony.

Whats it about? what sounds does he use?does it have a comic book?

Hi Julian , maybe when will it be released?

wingedfeetxc
04-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Christophe dininski
I wouldn't kill for another release by the music tapes , that is just absurd.

I would say that next to a new Jeff Mangum album, the 2nd Imaginary Symphony is the release I'm looking most foward to in all of music right now.

DrinkTeaEatBooks
04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Julian says that the first album (though he didn't say which, but I'd imagine Cloudmaking) has already been mastered, and the second album (which I'd assume to be Tornados), is currently being mastered, and they should be out within 7-8 months, which is looking to be about winter or so.

He's an amazing guy as well :D

wingedfeetxc
04-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, this is really intresting. It is very different, even for a very different band like the Music Tapes standards. That being said, it's strangly intriguing because it's so different. Hmmmm, I'm not quite sure how to take this. I love how they do stuff that is totally what you least expect however. Part of why I love the band so much!

Lusitania
04-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Nye's story would make a great film... I really hope this project with JCM works out.

wingedfeetxc
04-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Will Julian tour in support of the two new albums (hopefully) this winter?

And if he is touring and he is reading this, come to NY. Please. Pretty pretty pretty please.

langdon
04-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by DrinkTeaEatBooks
Julian says that the first album (though he didn't say which, but I'd imagine Cloudmaking) has already been mastered, and the second album (which I'd assume to be Tornados), is currently being mastered, and they should be out within 7-8 months, which is looking to be about winter or so.

He's an amazing guy as well :D

When exactly did he tell you this, and er um under what circumstances?

DrinkTeaEatBooks
04-27-2005, 04:47 AM
After the Garage show. Why?

langdon
04-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Just wondering...

everythingfallstogether
04-27-2005, 07:22 PM
hey langdon. are you the same langdon from the fine day for science messageboard?!?

langdon
04-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Indeed I am. Are you in A Fine Day for Science?!?

everythingfallstogether
04-28-2005, 12:49 PM
yes!!!
hahaa. that's wierd.

everythingfallstogether
04-28-2005, 12:49 PM
double post

[Edited on 4-28-2005 by everythingfallstogether]

langdon
04-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Oh man, you guys are so cool!

AFineDayForScience
05-06-2005, 12:59 PM
thanks.

wingedfeetxc
05-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by jaimi
I need some new Music Tapes for my ears.

I need some new Music Tapes for my soul.

hypecity
05-17-2005, 08:05 PM
http://www.blacktable.com/images/0412pics/jesus/28000.jpg

[Edited on 3-22-0606 by hypecity]

jaimi
05-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by hypecity

Originally posted by wingedfeetxc

Originally posted by jaimi
I need some new Music Tapes for my ears.

I need some new Music Tapes for my soul.

I need some new Music Tapes for my tape deck.

ha ha ha