PDA

View Full Version : E6 and Belle and Sebastian

pinocchio
06-16-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm kind of wondering who made the Dirty Dream #2 video. Can it be attributed to Stuart or someone from their home squadron? Did they come over here to shoot it? Did they shoot it while going through the south? I've wondered this sort of subconsciously for a while and I know someone here has the background on it. It yells confusion in my head. Anyway I love the song and the video.

I know Chris or El topo or someone will respond promptly and accurately to this.

pinocchio
06-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I also remember there being threads about the video before... a couple... but I don't remember any history on the making of it. And I am curious. Does it have nothing to do with Belle and Sebastian at all?

CrazyHorse
06-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I once asked B&S about this video.
They told me it was filmed in Athens by Lance Bangs (he lived there).
At the time, they (B&S) didn't know anyone in the video but after it was made they became friends with Dan and Ben from Great Lakes.

pinocchio
06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
thanx man.

anyone know if they are gonna tour any time soon?

no word from newsletter or website... kinda bummed

Mimi_Merlot
06-16-2009, 12:41 PM
thanx man.

anyone know if they are gonna tour any time soon?

no word from newsletter or website... kinda bummed

i know, i really want to see them. they need to tour again.
hah

plex
06-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I think this video has conspiracies about Jeff being the ghost.
Also, Will looks sooo cute with his flowers.

pinocchio
06-16-2009, 01:02 PM
no conspiracies.. he's the ghost foolio

Dihnekis
06-16-2009, 01:29 PM
no conspiracies.. he's the ghost foolio

The Ghost? The guy with the sheet at one point?

And Will does look awesome with the flowers. This video makes me really happy... I love B&S and I love seeing E6 musicians pop up. Why are they in it though?

Cecil
06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Belle and Sebastian is so boring.

Dihnekis
06-16-2009, 02:18 PM
If You're Feeling Sinister is really far from boring. The rest, you could make that argument.

Birds...The silent killer
06-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I've never seen this before. I could definitely see an argument that Belle and Sebastian are boring. I like em though.

plex
06-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Belle and Sebastian is so boring.

No ):

pinocchio
06-16-2009, 05:31 PM
boring? i feel bad for you

ufoinkushiro
06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
never understood what's amazing with this kind of music, it seems a bit boring and nicey and 'twee' or whatever for me.

doctorSchwindel
06-16-2009, 07:57 PM
If You're Feeling Sinister is really far from boring. The rest, you could make that argument.

this.

Gotham
06-16-2009, 11:17 PM
I actually really like Dear Catastrophe Waitress as well. It's a really fun album. Nothing beats If you're feeling sinister though. That's just like one of the greatest albums of all time.

In my personal opinion at least.

Mimi_Merlot
06-17-2009, 09:00 AM
I actually really like Dear Catastrophe Waitress as well. It's a really fun album. Nothing beats If you're feeling sinister though. That's just like one of the greatest albums of all time.

In my personal opinion at least.

agreed. i like their other albums though.

piaptk
06-17-2009, 09:44 AM
taste is subjective, y'all.

Everybody is going to have personal opinions about different bands and different periods of their careers. I personally never listen to any Flaming Lips or Radiohead recorded after about 1999. Does that mean I think it "sucks"? No. It just means that whatever they were doing in their earlier records (which I really liked), they shifted away from into other stuff I don't like as much.

There are some bands that never make large leaps, stylistically or "grow" as someone put it. I don't think that is necessarily bad. You find a formula that works and you stick to it, because that is how your brain works best. My friend Greg, who records as Graves, is one of my favorite songwriters. Every album he releases is consistent. You could pull out any random 5 second sample from any song and immediately tell it was him. Stylistically he hasn't "grown" that much, because his formula was mastered from the beginning. Every song is lyrically and melodically unique, but they all have a really chilled out and recognizable vibe that is consistent, and that is how I feel about Belle and Sebastian. Their more recent stuff has been more of a shift, but their first four albums were pretty consistent, largely because they were recorded in a relatively short period of time. I've LOVED all of their albums except Fold Your Hands and the Storytelling soundtrack.

Some bands that do "grow" get slammed by critics and who just don't like their new directions. That's not to say that sometimes the new direction ISN'T inferior, but, again, that is subjective to everyone's personal taste.

You all need to just accept that while you all share a love of e6 bands, you all have other tastes that fall outside of the e6 middle of the Venn Diagram. love it. None of the bands/albums you don't share truly "suck", or they wouldn't be well enough known to be talked about.

Increase the peace. Silence the violence (against Stuart Murdoch).

Dihnekis
06-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Excellent post piaptk. Yoshimi is my favorite flips album though :).

Priest Driven Ambulance, Soft Bulletin and Clouds Taste Metallic are all tied for second.

Gotham
06-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I think we all understand that people have different tastes in music, its just fun to discuss and debate. Sometimes it gets rather boring just agreeing that we all love In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and Dusk at Cubist Castle.

No one here is fighting, lol.

ufoinkushiro
06-17-2009, 10:18 AM
i love arguments around here :)

piaptk
06-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Sometimes it gets rather boring just agreeing that we all love In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and Dusk at Cubist Castle.

REALLY? You guys like those albums? Those really DO suck! All those dudes peaked on the California Demise 7" and it's been a shit avalanche ever since.

jk.

Cecil
06-19-2009, 01:33 PM
hahaha, a shit avalanche.