PDA

View Full Version : Happiness and Self-promotion

brokengambler
05-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Finally got the new Music Tapes CD! I ordered it like 8 months ago, and it took a long convoluted path to reach me here in China, but it has finally arrive and is being listened to by my ears.

It also reminded me that this board might be the perfect place to promote to promote my blog, and if you all don't mind the shamelessness of it all, the blog is called "The Migration Patterns of Imaginary Birds," and is at www.imaginarybirds.com. I have two recurring features. Every Wednesday I post about my research into imaginary birds (or ornithographic myths, if you want to use the language of the books I read), and every Sunday I post a fairy tale from one of the letters I wrote my girlfriend between March 2005 and 2006, when she lived in the Czech Republic and me in Chicago, and I wanted her to continue being my girlfriend, despite us only having known each other for two months before we were forced apart by visa regulations (it worked!).

I also post random thoughts on fiction, scene ideas, and notes from stories I'm developing, but I only post those whenever I feel like it.

Check it out sometimes, I'm starting to rather like this project of mine.

Brad

AGio
05-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Brad,

I also very much like this blog of yours. In fact, I registered just so I could praise your fantastic writing. I think any Music Tapes fan would appreciate the contents of this blog.

CaptainShuster
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah, this is pretty adorable. I'm not really sure why you posted it in this forum, but I'm glad you did! Its brightening my day.

beeftown
05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I really love what you have up there so far. Thanks for posting it!

Rarn
05-12-2009, 09:45 PM
this is certainly rather unique!

really its perfect and strangely fitting for the Music Tapes forum, despite having no real relevance at all. props.

brokengambler
05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the support.

I used to be on this board quite a lot, and remembered when I got the newest album how the board was always filled with projects and lovely fantasies (the travelling mix tape, and the greatest things in the world list), I had also briefly spoken to Julian a while back about a fantasy I had about a machine that would capture reflections of light from random places and then project it on a wall, kind of like a world wide camera obscura that chooses points randomly. The idea had strong connections to an imaginary invention of Julian's called the Grandmaphone, which associates memories with the notes on a keyboard.

The reflections of light invention I used for a love letter to an ex of mine quite some time back (it didn't work), I don't have it in front of me, like I do my current girlfriend's letters, but I can probably post it from memory (my girlfriend isn't the jealous type). I also wrote a story to a girl who didn't return my affections about a boy falling in love with a ghost, but now I'm going off on tangents.

Thanks again!

AGio
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I for one would like to hear about this machine. I'm very intrigued with how you put such interesting and unique personal thoughts down in the form of letters to others. I think I can relate, so I would like to hear more. This seems very much like the kind of thing Julian would dig.

AGio
05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Brad, I am bumping this thread because there is something I wanted to communicate with you about that could be kind of urgent. I sent you this message via e-mail, but really want to make sure that you see it.

How much do you know about economics? I want to converse with you about attraction and it sort of seems like it might make sense to talk about it from an economic perspective.

Have you ever been really attracted to a person because of that person's amazing intellect and desire for universal morality, but felt like you have nothing to offer that person but access to simpler pleasures? In comparison to some people, I feel very stupid and inadequate and feel like I should work on making myself more appealing physically since that may be all I am good for for them. So I've been trying to lose weight and clean myself up, and I'm hopeful that I will be able to have success with all of this.

If a person who I admire and respect wants sexual gratification, I would be willing to offer it to that person in any way or shape or form that person wanted. I can be a very sexual person and I enjoy giving myself sexual pleasure, and sometimes I wish I could extend this pleasure to friends if that is what they so wanted.

I have also used a lot of cannabis, but have stopped using it since I feel that it blinds me in a lot of ways and I also do not want to support violent criminals or be mistaken for a violent criminal.

This reminds me, at the end of my most recent semester in college, I had an economics final that I was supposed to take, but something else came up so I wasn't able to take it. I got a free pass, but I think I may want to go ahead and take the final since I am not sure that I deserve that free pass.

To keep things at least slightly on topic, I must say that three of my favorite Elephant 6 songs are Softly Through the Void by Elf Power, Majesty by The Music Tapes, and Love Athena by The Olivia Tremor Control. Those are all fantastic songs with especially awesome lyrics.

What do you think about all of this? I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Katara
05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
o.m.g.

AGio
05-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I think I need another perspective. Any Elephant 6 perspective would be appreciated. Elephant 6 people seem to be such wonderful and smiley people.

brokengambler
05-22-2009, 12:09 AM
God I wish I saw any Elephant 6 band play. (I've seen Beulah, but they don't really count). When my first girlfriend introduced me to her ex who wasn't happy that she had broken up with him, the man told me he had seen Neutral Milk Hotel live before Jeff went into hiding, and I knew he had won that round.

working 16hrs a day right now. Will respond to you Alex over email on Sunday, and will post a short history of my imaginary light machine the same day (if I'm done working by then, everything should calm down by either then or Monday)... I discovered I wrote something to my current girlfriend about it, so it fits in the fairy tale section, though it wasn't as good as the one I wrote to my ex (about half of them are fairly mediocre, as I just wrote off the top of my head)... so I'm sure I'm going to piss someone off with this.

Anyways my ex already told me she hated the site. First time she's talked to me in almost 2 years.

AGio
05-22-2009, 09:48 PM
I should also say I really like the entry about the Alicanto. It reminds me of the song The Inner Light by of Montreal, which is a really wonderful and beautiful song.

beeftown
08-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I still really love this.

Harnk
08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
dig yer blog