PDA

View Full Version : sea's song for sailor.

mgocze
04-27-2009, 06:43 AM
i had this realization last night, and i'm probably not the first to realize it, but i don't think it's been posted here before, so i'm posting it now.

you know how sea's song for sailor starts with brian dewan saying:

"sea's song for sailor, played by the music tapes"??

in the beginning of many edison cylinders, there is an announcer who states the name of the song that is about to be performed as well as the performer.

("ring out the bells for christmas played by the edison concert band. (http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?queryType=@attr%201=21&query=christmas&num=1&start=38&sortBy=&sortOrder=ia)")

and we all know julian's infatuation with antiquated recording equipment, one can only suppose that this song actually exists on a cylinder, somewhere. if not the whole orchestration of the song, at least the vocals and chord organ.

going forth and assuming that such a cylinder exists, perhaps someday, years and years and years from now, someone could find it and believe that it was actually recorded at the end of the 19th/turn of the 20th century.

i think that's nice to think about. especially on a monday morning.

Gotham
04-27-2009, 10:25 AM
we should put it in a time capsule and then say in our wills that it should be dugg up in the year 3041! And say that it belonged to a great man with the initials T.E.

mgocze
04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
that would be brilliant! i can definitely get a hold of an old edison cylinder sleeve. my parents have a bunch of cylinders and a player in their living room that they never use that i am planning on "borrowing indefinitely." my great-grandparents on my mother's side worked for edison in new jersey and i believe there is some other edison memorabilia floating around my mom's side of the family somewhere, but i'm not certain.

TheShiveringDifference
04-27-2009, 01:28 PM
If you have that much access to vintage recording devices, or at least some old wax cylinders, you should talk to Julian Himself, I'm sure he'd find it pretty interesting.

mgocze
04-27-2009, 04:10 PM
If you have that much access to vintage recording devices, or at least some old wax cylinders, you should talk to Julian Himself, I'm sure he'd find it pretty interesting.

i think it's just a cylinder player, not a recorder. although, i do feel as though he might have had a recorder for a while; a few years ago he was really into collecting such things, but i think he sold most of what he had. i'll definitely check with him tomorrow. i think most of the cylinders are banjo related.