PDA

View Full Version : vinyls

pomimimin
02-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I guess it's because I'm too young, but I don't understand this vinyl thing. I was thinking about starting a collection, but why vinyls rather than cd's? It seems that everyone gets vinyls, but why?

Dihnekis
02-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Well the Elephant 6 recording company was a sorta analog thing, so I just like to get it in that format.

Somahoney
02-28-2009, 12:25 AM
a cd to me is useless.

When I buy a cd, I rip it on my computer and never touch it again. So since I got a turntable I've been buying music regularly instead of just downloading it. It's funny because I generally buy vinyls I already downloaded.

A record I have to actively get out, and set the needle on, flip over, all of that. So it's more involved, where a cd is just computer files to me.

GlowRightIntoYou
02-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Laser discs are also analog. I'm not sure how. To be honest with you, the mystery of it blows my mind. I hope that there are a group of laser disc purists out there who only watch films in that format.

Also, 12" cover art and inserts are awesome.

lou2ser
02-28-2009, 03:00 AM
The plural of vinyl is vinyl

c_elephant
02-28-2009, 04:23 AM
The plural of vinyl is vinyl

This. Hearing "Vinyls" is like nails on a chalkboard to me. SORRY FOR THE RAGING ELITISM, but at 3:00 AM after the day I had what more can you expect? Don't collect records because everyone else is, do it because you like perusing dollar bins, or you like owning Mr. T maxi singles from the 80's, or for that feeling you get when you open up a Japanese pressing of an album because they already have an anti static sleeve on the record. That is love.

ufoinkushiro
02-28-2009, 06:53 AM
man, vinyl is the most pure format. owning music in physical form makes the music feel more worthwhile, and best of all, it's analog!

i mean mp3 is crap for a start, who wants poorly encoded forms of amazingly recorded music like everything on e6? as for CD, it's digital still,

end of, i don't like digital music, it sounds like shit.

also i back up everybody's defending opinion below, especially the aesthetic value of records.

plex
02-28-2009, 07:04 AM
On top of the raw analog sound you get, it also can kinda be like, novelty eye candy. Specially when the "vinyls" :) have a color, or like a swirly design. Those are so fun to watch spin around.

ie. the new dressy bessy record.

Mimi_Merlot
02-28-2009, 08:13 AM
i love vinyl. i think it's so much more fun to listen to and it sounds better. something about going to a record store and getting something on vinyl is more exciting than just getting a cd.
i also love colored vinyl and marbled vinyl because it's really pretty and looks cool spinning around.

i mean i hate buying music on itunes. it just feels stupid to me. why am i paying $10 and not even getting cover art.

my basement is full of tons of old records. it's amazing. i think the fact that my dad is so into music and vinyl (which i got into like 4 months ago) is part of the reason i love it so much.

abgcunited11
02-28-2009, 08:50 AM
the only vinyl i've got is ITAOTS, but my dad's got hundreds. it's so much more worthwhile playing vinyl. the weight and size of the vinyl makes the cd look so pathetic. all my cds are stored away, already ripped onto my computer, it is not worth the money imo.

plex
02-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Well like, i still like cd's vs. mp3. It's better quality, also I like to have a physical copy with pictures, and liner notes to flip threw. Mp3's are kinda sucky, and I'll only use them as a last resort.

pomimimin
02-28-2009, 10:41 AM
what kind of record players do you have? mine is digital and looks disgusting, its one of those kinds that convert records to mp3s, my step-dad got it. Does it matter what kind of record player?

TokyoSquid
02-28-2009, 12:34 PM
i love vinyl. i can't explain it any better than the rest of these guys.

as for the player, i have a tremendous Montgomery Ward entertainment center that used to belong to my great-grandpa. it has an amazing bass end to it, and has pretty good level control.

i only thing is: its broken. recently, and i mean within the last month (right about the time i picked up Merriweather Post Pavilion), it stopped working correctly. it just kind of speeds up and slow down at random. i think its the motor.

also, im looking for an original pressing of "Meet the Residents" (the kind that has the Beatles rip-off cover.) if any one wants to oblige. i felt that this would be the appropriate thread to mention it.

Mimi_Merlot
02-28-2009, 02:33 PM
i have one of those like travel record players with a handle. it looks like a leather suitcase except for the fact that it's covered with stickers and whatnot.
but it also plays 78s so i guess that's a plus. it also has built in speakers so i don't need an amplifier or anything. i don't really know how old it is all i know is that my mom gave it to me a few months ago along with all of my dads 45s.

and i definitely prefer cds to mp3s. i like having the album art and physical copy. especially if my computer explodes or something.

Akryllic Love
02-28-2009, 03:49 PM
They should make a laser disc that has every E6 related audio track that's been released.

Mimi_Merlot
02-28-2009, 06:28 PM
They should make a laser disc that has every E6 related audio track that's been released.

i thought laser discs were movies.

Akryllic Love
02-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I think they are but still

piaptk
02-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Weird... I just started working on a LaserDisc lathe cut record. A Laserdisc you can play on your turntable.

CDs are completely useless now. Like most pople, when I buy a cd (directly from a band at a show usually) I rip it to my computer and then throw it in a box in the basement.

BUT, people still want to own the music physically. Vinyl is good for that, because it has a tactile experience involved. You have to take it out, put it on the turntable, etc and you get large format artwork. It also has a certain amount of nostalgia, even if most of you on here were born after 85 when music started becoming much more popular on cd. Some people love it, some people hate it and call vinyl lovers luddites. It's a personal preference.

What I really love is that a lot of new vinyl (including most of the records I release) are now coming with mp3 download codes.

GoldenGiven
03-01-2009, 11:53 AM
i'll blame my love for vinyl on GbV. the album art for the majority is just fantastic! even robert and tobin's solo stuff is great to have on display in my apartment. oh, and ENON, i think ENON has the best cover art out there, imo.

Mimi_Merlot
03-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Weird... I just started working on a LaserDisc lathe cut record. A Laserdisc you can play on your turntable.

that sounds awesome! does it hold more music or something?

Jellybones
03-01-2009, 02:36 PM
if I had to give a reason, I'd justify it by saying that vinyl is the best quality because its the only format that is direct contact. i mean, your not depending on a laser or digital recording, its just raw sound exactly as engraved into the recording. and not only that but its alot harder to skip tracks, which makes you listen to the album as a whole. in my opinion, albums are a complete work of art, not just a collection of songs. its just so much more chill to put on a record and have it run and fill you with whatever sort of feelings rendered by the music rather than thinking about which song you don't want to listen to...

yeah... that basically sums it up for me. I totally agree with the other guys about ripping cd's and tossing em. though i do gotta say that itunes' quality is rather questionable, not to mention that there is no conceivable way to get my freakin Ipod hooked into a sound system for house music, and have the two left and right mono signals come out even. mine always seems to favor either the left or the right side, leaving out half the music with no way to switch it to mono output.

piaptk
03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
that sounds awesome! does it hold more music or something?

No. It is just the fact that you have grooves cut into a videodisc intead of vinyl.

loveminuszeroCB
03-01-2009, 10:12 PM
i love vinyl, but i don't have a lot. and rarely do i buy new vinyl. i love going to garage sales and poking about. i once bought a box of 52 records from a man down the street for 20 bucks. it included 6 or 7 bob dylan albums, some jimi hendrix, the beatles' rubber soul, and a bunch of other goodies.

however, i do buy lots of cds and put them on my computer because they are obviously a lot more portable.

jefferoo
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
vinyl > cassette > cd

cd = compression = not so good

ufoinkushiro
03-02-2009, 02:37 AM
vinyl > cassette > cd

yeppers :)

appalled i was
03-02-2009, 04:20 AM
i only thing is: its broken. recently, and i mean within the last month (right about the time i picked up Merriweather Post Pavilion), it stopped working correctly. it just kind of speeds up and slow down at random. i think its the motor.

it might not be the motor itself but the belt causing it to pull at a constant speed. but thats just my guess and the most common cause to that problem that ive heard of.

Dihnekis
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
vinyl > cassette > cd

I'm pretty sure vinyl is compressed more than CD. I don't think CDs are compressed at all, they are just given a bitrate and frequency haircut... whereas vinyls are compressed to make the music fit on the grooves.

Vinyl has less dynamic range, and is pretty much technically inferior in every way to CD.

But I can hear the difference between an a digital recording and an analog one, and I prefer analog so digital's technical superiority is irrelevant.

What kind of turntables and shit do you guys have? I've got a Technics SL-1200, Denon DL-103 cartridge, Cambridge Audio Azur 640p preamp, Little Dot headphone tube amp, and AKG K701 headphones.

Mimi_Merlot
03-02-2009, 12:38 PM
i should really get a legit turntable and amplifier but i don't even know where to get them. i just have a travel record player that looks like a suitcase.

Dihnekis
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I got mine on craigslist. $450 new, I paid $200.

abgcunited11
03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
we've got a rega p3. it's really nice.
and a rotel ra-1070 integrated amplifier. also nice.