PDA

View Full Version : merge's XX festival

emmi_i
01-09-2009, 12:09 AM
"In a statement, the label announced: "XX Merge will commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Merge label, which began in 1989 in Chapel Hill NC, with a handful of 4-track recordings, a couple of cassette tapes, and some hand-stuffed 7" vinyl. Literally hundreds of singles, albums, and late nights later, Merge will be celebrating its past, present and future throughout 2009. XX Merge will be the label's party to mark this anniversary: five days of music by Merge artists past and present in the summer heat of sunny North Carolina."

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2009/01/merge-records-announces-xx-merge-5-day-festival-fo.html

...I can imagine that this will be a pretty incredible line-up. dates are July 22-26

quixoticgoat
01-09-2009, 04:32 AM
wtf "Of course, a Neutral Milk Hotel reunion would surely incite head explosions."

wilson
01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
For 2004's 15-year anniversary we had Ladybug Transistor and the Essex Green as the E6 affiliates, along with Arcade Fire (pre-Funeral) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk4C0QVcEL4&eurl=http://music.mync.com/2009/01/arcade-fire-performing-at-mergefest-2004/&feature=player_embedded), Spoon, Superchunk, Destroyer, Camera Obscura, M Ward, Lambchop, the Clientele, Crooked Fingers, Versus, David Kilgour, Richard Buckner, Portastatic, the Rosebuds, etc...

For 1999's 10-year anniversary, there was the Music Tapes, the Olivia Tremor Control, and the Ladybug Transistor (with Mr. Kevin Barnes playing with the Music Tapes and joining Ladybug for some songs), along with The Magnetic Fields, Superchunk, Lambchop, the Rock*A*Teens, Seaweed, Versus, Portastatic, Pipe, etc...

I'm sure I left bands out, but that was what I come up with off the top of my head.

wilson
01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
However, from past experience it's guaranteed to be ~120 degrees F in Chapel Hill that week.

animalsanimals
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
i might have to be going to this thing...

radiowires
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
YOU WILL ALL COME AND YOU WILL ALL PARTY WITH CHAPEL HILL'S OWN WILSON AND RADIOWIRES!!!!!

(Wilson I can't remember if you actually live in Chapel Hill but humor me.)

quixoticgoat
01-09-2009, 10:45 AM
and doesnt joejustjoe live in that area too? also one of my bffs moved there a year ago and i miss him. i'd consider coming. depending on if i can convince my job to give me more vacation time

theaddingmachine
01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
nice! I WILL GO!

emmi_i
01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
YOU WILL ALL COME AND YOU WILL ALL PARTY WITH CHAPEL HILL'S OWN WILSON AND RADIOWIRES!!!!!

ok. ok, you've twisted my arm enough ;)

radiowires
01-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Here is your plan, everyone:
1. Quit job, pack car.
2. Attend Merge festival in Chapel hill the last week of July.
3. Drive a little bit west and camp in Great Smoky Mountains and visit Asheville during the first week of August.
4. Drive a little further west and attend Popfest in Athens during the second week of August.
5. Sleep.

quixoticgoat
01-09-2009, 12:09 PM
if they lay me off at my job (we aren't doing well as a company) i'll totally be there. assuming i haven't skipped the country and moved to guatemala.

wilson
01-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Well, Carrboro, but I live within about 500 ft of the line dividing the them :)

GlowRightIntoYou
01-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Ahh, that would be awesome. I could really only go if I convinced someone to go with me though, and that might be difficult. Plus, I'm still trying to see if I can go to Popfest (I'VE NEVER BEEN and I want to go sooo bad), and that's going to be hard to figure out, too.

loveminuszeroCB
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
1. Quit job, pack car.
3. Drive a little bit west and camp in Great Smoky Mountains and visit Asheville during the first week of August.
4. Drive a little further west and attend Popfest in Athens during the second week of August.
5. Sleep.

i will do at least 1, 2, and 4.

radiowires
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
not 5?

loveminuszeroCB
01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
not 5?

will i have time?

jdrawmeasheep
01-09-2009, 04:46 PM
fucking going. even if theres no music tapes. but there will be music tapes. im going.

JoeJustJoe
01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
1. Quit job, pack car.
5. Sleep.

That's a solid plan. My door is open in Asheville.

starman
01-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Holy crap, I'm so there.

Naomi
01-10-2009, 08:38 AM
george and joe i want to see you guys again!

JoeJustJoe
01-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm sure you will. I'll most likely be at both events.

starman
01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Same for me. You'll be sick of us by the end of the summer.

Naomi
01-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Never!

radiowires
01-10-2009, 03:42 PM
will i have time?

After steps 1-4, you bet. You'll return home jobless and exhausted. You might sleep for a week!

mgocze
01-10-2009, 03:57 PM
1. Quit job, pack car.
5. Sleep.

i really like this plan. a lot.

GlowRightIntoYou
01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
I know it's a LITTLE off topic, but I decided that this summer is definitely going to be the first time I make it to Popfest. I'm so excited. I'm still not sure on how I'm getting there or who is going with me, but I'm definitely going to do it, haha.

jaimi
01-11-2009, 03:55 AM
1. Quit job, pack car.
5. Sleep.

That's a pretty good plan!!

jaimi
01-11-2009, 03:56 AM
I know it's a LITTLE off topic, but I decided that this summer is definitely going to be the first time I make it to Popfest. I'm so excited. I'm still not sure on how I'm getting there or who is going with me, but I'm definitely going to do it, haha.

Dude me too. I'm trying to convince one of my friends to go with me. I'm like, come on, you're graduating college, have no plans, and have relatives in that area! Jeez, the choice is obvious!

theaddingmachine
01-11-2009, 10:03 AM
just say, "________ (one of your friend's dead relatives) really would have wanted you to go."

GlowRightIntoYou
01-11-2009, 11:00 AM
just say, "________ (one of your friend's dead relatives) really would have wanted you to go."

Hahaha. Foolproof. I JUST got a couple friends all excited about Popfest, so it looks like I'm all go for that one.

Katara
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I WILL quit my job if I can't get off for this but that probably won't be necessary...and it happens to coincide with my birthday so it's meant to be!!

mgocze
02-10-2009, 08:51 PM
is anyone else going mildly crazy while waiting for any information about this festival to be released? or is that just me? any guesstimates (according to evil red dots of doom [or rather, lack thereof], guesstimate is an actual word. it also recognizes meme as being a word. gross.) as to when we'll actually hear anything about a lineup? i don't know how far in advance most fests announce lineups, because i don't pay attention to those sort of correlations.

inthistube
02-10-2009, 09:01 PM
The large festivals that have massive buying power (Bonnaroo, Coachella, etc.) usually announce the lineup ~4 months out. Smaller festivals often have less lead time when it comes to negotiating with bands, so my guess is you won't see a lineup until late March or mid-April... Wilson might be able to give us a better estimate.

emmi_i
02-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I see alot of larger (like bonnaroo) fest announce 4-5mo's before hand, smaller ones seem to be closer to 3-4mo.

jaimi
02-11-2009, 11:22 PM
I do think I'll be going to this since there's no Popfest this year (I understand though, those guys totally need a break!).

loveminuszeroCB
04-03-2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.mergerecords.com/xxmerge/

emmi_i
04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
whoo!

SevenStar
04-03-2009, 09:23 AM
I should have my licenses just in time. I've only been to one concert before, oh! I could get my brother to go with me, he doesn't like NMH or any of my music, but he's a huge spoon fan! mwahahahahaha, this just might work.
...wow, i don't think I've ever thought out loud in typing form before.

SevenStar
04-03-2009, 09:26 AM
woah! $150! is that normal? i guess it's for five days, I'll just have to be selective I guess.

Dihnekis
04-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Well, any E6 bands?

SevenStar
04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
they haven't released a full list yet, but I think there could be, but, hey I'd probably go just to see superchunk, I only know one song of theirs and I'm not a huge fan, but I've only been to one concert before, and that was some a Jack's Mannequin concert with a girlfriend. I'm almost in college! I feel deprived.

beeftown
04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Oh, man. I need to find a way to go.

wilson
04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
woah! $150! is that normal? i guess it's for five days, I'll just have to be selective I guess.

5 Days, 25 bands--that's $6 per band!

wilson
04-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, any E6 bands?

Yes.

mgocze
04-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes.

!!! looks like i'm going to have to quit my job for a week in order to get the time off to go.

and knock over a bank in order to afford a flight and hotel and ticket.

SevenStar
04-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I guess I'll have to find some way to come up with the money, but i have to be there... I really wish my friends were into music.

mgocze
04-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Passes will go on sale at 10 AM EST on Wednesday, April 8th

hmm....

beeftown
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
It's a trap!

Dihnekis
04-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Can Portastatic (superchunk?) play "Oh Come Down"? I fucking love that song so much.

SevenStar
04-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Can Portastatic (superchunk?) play "Oh Come Down"? I fucking love that song so much.

<3 hearts for awesome post <3

thekingisdead
04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
We will announce a (nearly) complete list of Merge bands who will be playing prior to the festival, but you will have to come to each show to find out who is playing on which night. We think it's more fun that way!

FUCK. I'm gonna be in France and I'll more than likely miss something unbelievable. Why did I have to pick this summer to study off-campus? =(

mgocze
04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
i'm still trying to figure out if i'll be able to swing this, so north carolinaians (?), i have some questions.

first, in trying to figure out how to get to north carolina, i'm obviously considering flying. how far from the raleigh/durham airport is chapel hill (more specifically, any idea on how much cab fare would be)? would it be completely absurd to rent a car for driving to and from shows, or is the cat's cradle and the memorial hall on the unc campus within walking distance?

second, are there any inexpensive places to stay in that area? or, would any of you be interested in putting up a sort of crazy lady from maine for a few nights? i'm low maintenance and i'll make you cookies.

edit: what about camping? any nearby camping locations?

i might drive down. which is probably a really bad idea given that my car is due to blow up any day now.

and then there's the possibility that i won't end up going at all, which i don't want to think about.

radiowires
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
i'm still trying to figure out if i'll be able to swing this, so north carolinaians (?), i have some questions.

first, in trying to figure out how to get to north carolina, i'm obviously considering flying. how far from the raleigh/durham airport is chapel hill (more specifically, any idea on how much cab fare would be)?

I take a cab from RDU (the airport) to Chapel Hill quite often, and it's always $42. I add an $8 tip, so it's an even $50.

would it be completely absurd to rent a car for driving to and from shows, or is the cat's cradle and the memorial hall on the unc campus within walking distance?

Mmmmmmmm...... if you have a car you can check out the wider area. But Chapel Hill and its neighbor, Carburro where the Cat's Cradle is actually at, are both relatively compact. I think it would be preferable to walk or hitch rides from place to place. Or rent a bike - bicycling is quite big around there, and bike lanes are common.

second, are there any inexpensive places to stay in that area? or, would any of you be interested in putting up a sort of crazy lady from maine for a few nights? i'm low maintenance and i'll make you cookies.

People from Maine scare me. Sorry. ;)

There must be some couchsurfing opportunities. And ask around on Craigslist or something. It's a college town with students gone for the summer. There must be floors and furnitures where you can bunk down. Wilson would have better ideas.

mgocze
04-07-2009, 06:01 PM
People from Maine scare me. Sorry. ;)

understandable; i'm from maine and i'm scared of mainers. i think everyone's so crazy from having six months of winter every year. i don't understand how so many people are missing teeth up here. very strange.

thanks for the insight and suggestions! i will look scope out the craigslist-ings if this ends up panning out.

mirk
04-08-2009, 07:21 AM
am i crazy? i just went to the merge ticket site (which just opened, just this minute), and it says "no inventory currently available." is it sold out already?

edit: nevermind. tickets are available.

mgocze
04-08-2009, 07:23 AM
i had the same thing happen, but they're up for me now.

now, i just have to commit.... :eek:

wilson
04-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Just got word the full 5-day festival passes are now sold out. There will be a very limited number of tickets for individual nights on sale at some point. I'll let you know as soon as I do.

mirk
04-08-2009, 08:24 AM
damn. i was looking at the page, could have gotten a 5-day pass, and then hesitated. i had no idea they would sell out so fast.

mgocze
04-08-2009, 08:27 AM
damn. i was looking at the page, could have gotten a 5-day pass, and then hesitated. i had no idea they would sell out so fast.

ditto. now i've got those hesitation blues.

theaddingmachine
04-08-2009, 09:37 AM

couchsurfing.com!

mgocze
04-08-2009, 09:40 AM
couchsurfing.com!

!! greatest website ever! thanks!

emmi_i
04-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Just got word the full 5-day festival passes are now sold out. There will be a very limited number of tickets for individual nights on sale at some point. I'll let you know as soon as I do.

whoa. that's amazingly fast. guess I missed the boat... oh well, i'll be keeping my eye out for the individual day tickets. thanks, wilson, for heads up.

beeftown
04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Aw, man. They went fast! I guess I'll have to keep watch for some individual tics.

theaddingmachine
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
!! greatest website ever! thanks!

yeah no problem! i couchsurfed in chicago a few weeks ago with the nicest people ever

thekingisdead
04-08-2009, 10:33 PM
hey wilson, what night is neutral milk hotel playing?

edit: looks like this joke has killed the thread.

wilson
04-29-2009, 01:42 PM
More INFOS

Buy XX Merge Single Day tickets Wednesday, May 13 at 10 AM EST

Merge Records is celebrating our 20th anniversary in the summer heat of North Carolina with a 5-day birthday party called XX Merge which will be held at the Catís Cradle in Carrboro from Wednesday, July 22, through Saturday, July 25, and at Memorial Hall on the UNC campus on Sunday, July 26.

Five-day passes are sold out, but a limited number of tickets for individual nights of the festival will be made available on Wednesday, May 13, at 10 AM EST through eTix.com. Tickets are $32 for each of the five nights. Beginning on May 13th, you may access eTix.com directly or via links from mergerecords.com/xxmerge and catscradle.com. Additionally, tickets for the Memorial Hall show will also be available at Catís Cradle, CD Alley (Chapel Hill), Schoolkids (Raleigh), and the Memorial Hall box office.

We will not be announcing line-ups for the Catís Cradle nights, but a (mostly) complete list of bands who will be performing is as follows:

Lou Barlow
The Broken West
Richard Buckner
The Clientele
Destroyer
Erectus Monotone
The Essex Green
Guvíner
Imperial Teen
The Ladybug Transistor
Lambchop
The Magnetic Fields
The Music Tapes
Oakley Hall
Conor Oberst & the Mystic Valley Band
Pipe
Polvo
Portastatic
Radar Bros.
The Rosebuds
Spent
Spoon
Matt Suggs
Superchunk
Telekinesis
Tenement Halls
Versus
M. Ward

Sunday, July 26, at Memorial Hall:

She & Him
American Music Club
Wye Oak

mgocze
04-29-2009, 02:03 PM
does anybody know how much major organs are going for on the black market nowadays??? and how exactly does one go about selling major organs on the black market anyway? and what about adding machines???

(sorry, i had to.)

and now, more serious questions: how are the individual ticket sales going to work? is it going to be that you buy a ticket and it's good for whatever night you choose to go or are there going to be separate tickets designated for each night? i imagine that it'll be separate tickets for each night, but sometimes i imagine things incorrectly.

i don't know that any of those questions made any sense, so i apologize if they didn't. too many painty fumes at work today.

beeftown
04-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Fuck me for living in Pennsylvania. The line-up looks fantastic.

wilson
04-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Tickets will need to be bought for each individual night--you won't be able to purchase just one individual ticket and then use it for one night of your choosing.

Also, if anyone wants to get these individual tickets, you will need to get them ASAP when the links open on May 13 at 10 a.m. eastern time. There are VERY, VERY few individual tickets.

I would also vaguely say for those who don't get any tickets that it'll be worth being around Carrboro anyway during these dates if able.

mirk
04-29-2009, 02:54 PM
I would also vaguely say for those who don't get any tickets that it'll be worth being around Carrboro anyway during these dates if able.

worth being around Carrboro in an e6 specific way or in a general merge coolness way?

thanks for the update, wilson. the festival is looking awesome.

wilson
04-30-2009, 07:40 AM
I probably should not comment further, but we can look impartially at the logistics: 4 nights at the Cats Cradle, and 28 bands listed. 7 bands per night seems... unwieldy. And given that no schedules are being announced for the Cradle shows, I'd start to suspect there may be other things happening.

radiowires
04-30-2009, 03:39 PM
oh good.
cuz I missed the 5-day pass window of opportunity.
I will try my hardest to get on the puter on May 13 to get some 1-night passes.
but if there are things happening otherwise, I will of course be around, and I will be grateful for texts from friends to keep me informed about what's going on! :) I will make it worthwhile for generous texters with generous food & drink in return!

radiowires
04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
ALSO - it would be so great if Merge scheduled a show on the green in Southern Village. I would cater the whole fucking thing and provide lawn chairs and blankets and everything. ;-) seriously! Get to work on that, Wilson!!

thekingisdead
05-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I can't believe I'm missing this... AAAAAAAAAAAA#TDJYT@E&%E#&^FUE!